Yosemite & Beyond - Risk Factor Style!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great RR Tyler!! YFO is on my ride list when my nest is empty.

Great pictures!! I have been to places where pictures don't do it justice and I can tell there are several that fall in to that category.

I recognize the guy on the right but who but who is that on the left sort of smiling? A vagabond who just leeched on to your group??
grin.gif

DSC_4649-X3.jpg

Great RR Tyler!! YFO is on my ride list when my nest is empty.
Great pictures!! I have been to places where pictures don't do it justice and I can tell there are several that fall in to that category.

I recognize the guy on the right but who but who is that on the left sort of smiling? A vagabond who just leeched on to your group??
grin.gif

DSC_4649-X3.jpg
The guy on the right was a pleasure to visit with but the dude on the the left must be from South....America, couldn't understand a word he was saying
uhoh.gif
however he was smiling every time I saw him.

Nice work Ms. T!!!

No matter how many times I go to Yosemite (I fly fish the Merced River lots when it's not so high), I NEVER tire of the spectacular views around every bend.

I'm looking forward to your report on Dinkey Creek as that's another of my fishing haunts (I contemplated going there today but decided to just sit with my wife and chill).

Brian the biknflyfisher

Tyler/Redfish, thanks so much for the camera tip. Leaving on a month long trip out west starting mid August. Guess I better get a little camera and do some practicing. Thank again and great RR you all do for us here on the forum.

grin.gif
The guy on the right was a pleasure to visit with but the dude on the the left must be from South....America, couldn't understand a word he was saying
uhoh.gif
however he was smiling every time I saw him.
Yeah... smiling every time you saw him unless a camera was around...
rolleyes.gif

Nice work Ms. T!!! No matter how many times I go to Yosemite (I fly fish the Merced River lots when it's not so high), I NEVER tire of the spectacular views around every bend. I'm looking forward to your report on Dinkey Creek as that's another of my fishing haunts (I contemplated going there today but decided to just sit with my wife and chill). Brian the biknflyfisher
I totally agree... I never tire of it... always see it as if it was the first time yet again... Dinkey Creek is coming up!

As always "T", superb!
Thanks, John!

Tyler/Redfish, thanks so much for the camera tip. Leaving on a month long trip out west starting mid August. Guess I better get a little camera and do some practicing. Thank again and great RR you all do for us here on the forum.
Just be ready to have a lot of crap pictures... side of your helmet, fog line on the road, or your crotch... :lol: I still upon occasion get one of those and I've been doing it for years!! :lol:

Luv'in it!
smile.png
Patiently awaiting the next installment.
Coming in 3, 2, 1....

Apologies for the slowness in getting this posted… my computer is moving at a glacial pace these days and is in bad need of replacement which will happen soon… but in the meantime, I’m doing the best I can! :D

I had posted on the forum that I would lead a ride to a magical place for a picnic… I found this particular place during the Big Money Rally… one of the themes was bridges and this was one of the bonus places on the list… when I first got out there, it wasn’t just get the bonus and go for me… I just had to stop and savor the moment and my surroundings… I decided that I needed to take my friends to this place so that’s what I did… however, I wasn’t expecting quite the turnout that showed up… when I first turned out of the hotel parking lot and pulled over to let the rest get out too, when I turned around for a count, I was like “HOLY SHIT!!”… there must’ve been 30 bikes!! And here I thought no one would show up… :lol: I know there are lots of folks who don’t like big group rides but I don’t mind it especially when it’s with great riders and, better yet, great friends… it was a fantastic day…

We headed along 49 into Oakhurst to stop at the grocery store to get picnic supplies… we took up half the parking lot…

IMG_7639-X3.jpg

I had made a list of waypoints and folks took pics of it with their camera phone “just in case”… a small group broke off on their own and the rest of us left together… unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, we lost about half the group at a stoplight… I knew they had the waypoints and we’d see them later (and I was right!)… our route looked something like this: https://goo.gl/maps/2BXW4yAg5f42

Around Bass Lake…

IMG_7640-X3.jpg

A quick stop to enjoy the view…

DSC_4663-X3.jpg

What’cha watchin’, boys??

DSC_4667-X3.jpg

Ah… gotcha…

DSC_4666-X3.jpg

The ever smiling and lovely spirit, Brodie…

DSC_4668-X3.jpg

Farm roads…

IMG_7648-X3.jpg

Twisty back roads…

IMG_7649-X3.jpg

We caught up to the rest of the group that we had lost in Shaver Lake so we all headed out to Dinkey Creek together… unfortunately, there has been a pine beetle infestation in the area which you see clearly with all the dead trees…

IMG_7655-X3.jpg

Folks found spots for their trusty steeds to rest and found their way to the picnic tables for some well earned grub… Pop was enjoying himself immensely… I think Mr. Happy Pants was as well but I’m not sure…

DSC_4676-X3.jpg

DSC_4678-X3.jpg

Brodie found room in his top case for dessert and shared!

20170603_121613-X2.jpg

It’s hard to explain this place… it’s one of those things that you just have to witness in person to truly experience it… I hope you do some day…

DSC_4680-X3.jpg

DSC_4674-X3.jpg

Our merry little band…

DSC_4686-X3.jpg

We started to get ready to leave and then heard the sound of motorcycle engines… on the OTHER side of the bridge… these nutters ended up taking a dirt road in to the bridge… not sure how they managed that but they did it in one piece!

IMG_7656-X3.jpg

We left the intrepid three to enjoy their lunch and started to head back to the hotel since I needed to be there for dinner deliveries and such… this is on 168 coming out of Shaver Lake…

IMG_7668-X3.jpg

I had planned a longer route but cut it short due to time… did manage to find the time to hit Tollhouse Road…

IMG_7672-X3.jpg

IMG_7677-X2.jpg

IMG_7682-X3.jpg

And then back the way we came…

IMG_7692-X3.jpg

Got back to the hotel in time for a refreshing jump in the pool before the the tables and chairs were delivered… everyone made quick work of unloading everything (the young man making delivery said he’d never had that done so quickly so thanks to all who helped!) and our dinner place was set up post haste right there in the parking lot…

20170603_174953-X2.jpg

The sun started to set casting some shade on the parking lot and folks relaxed and visited with friends known and new from far and wide… it always makes my heart smile to see the connections that are made at these events…

20170603_180847-X2.jpg

20170603_182104-X2.jpg

20170603_185456-X2.jpg

Mr. Happy Pants makin’ friends wherever he goes…

20170603_181124-X2.jpg

Bob/Intech sporting a look… I won’t say what kind but it is a look…

20170603_183249-X2.jpg

Goddam paparazzi…

20170603_185245-X2.jpg

20170603_185257-X2.jpg

The newlyweds…

20170603_185327-X2.jpg

Love that smile…

20170603_180902-X2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I do believe Tony/101stpathfinder (far right behind his lovely wife) won the award for furthest miles to get to Yosemite coming all the way from Florida!

20170603_181000-X2.jpg

The raffle was a huge hit thanks to SacMike… some great swag and a nice tidy sum raised for the Yosemite Conservancy… thank you again, Mikey!! :wub:

20170603_181027-X2.jpg

20170603_200400-X2.jpg

Doug/bugnatr won the big prize… Clearwater Lights! Now if we could just get him to turn down that shirt…

20170603_201452-X2.jpg

Festar couldn’t contain himself…

20170603_181102-X2.jpg

Pants and the now infamous shampoo bottle…

20170603_182050-X2.jpg

Soup’s on!!

20170603_185944-X2.jpg

20170603_190007-X2.jpg

20170603_190031-X2.jpg

20170603_190526-X2.jpg

20170603_190853-X2.jpg

20170603_190938-X2.jpg

And then it was time for more banter and frivolity in the parking lot after dinner…

20170603_203933-X2.jpg

Pants was feeling no pain…

20170603_204432-X2.jpg

Goddam stalker…

20170603_231146-X2.jpg

Folks drifted off to visit in smaller groups and then off to their slumber routines… the next morning I awoke and, as is tradition with this crowd, most folks had already pointed their bikes for home or other places… and just like that, after a year of planning and looking forward, it was done… I had bittersweet feelings… joy mixed with melancholy… so happy to have seen known accomplices and made a few more but wishing we could’ve had just one more day to play… I wished them all well on their journeys in my mind and threw a protection net out so they would all arrive back to their homes safely and to ride another day…

For me, YFO was a jumping off point for a 2-week road trip… I had originally thought about NM/AZ but then checked out the average temperate this time of year and nixed that quite quickly (I don’t do well in triple-digit heat for multiple days on end) and decided to head west and then north up to OR/WA/ID… it was a good choice, imo.

So Sunday morning, the first point on the adventure was to head for Doug & Gayle’s house in Grass Valley… the morning was cool when we first started out and traversed the Little Dragon again, Doug towing us along and moving that big girl of his along at a nice clip (and I’m not talking about Gayle!)…

IMG_7696-X3.jpg

Love how both pilot and pillion are looking through the turn…

IMG_7698-X4.jpg

IMG_7705-X4.jpg

IMG_7707-1770x1004.jpg

IMG_7710-X3.jpg

Reflections along the Moccasin Reservoir…

DSC_4687-X4.jpg

So happy to see Don Pedro Lake near capacity after so many dry years…

IMG_7717-X3.jpg

Stopped in Jamestown and Doug scouted out a nice place for a late breakfast…

IMG_7718-X2.jpg

Jamestown is fairly famous for its frog jumping competitions… there were plaques in the sidewalk with the accomplishments of those critters… this was the most impressive!

IMG_7720-X2.jpg

Continuing along 49… you guys should be out riding! Um, maybe not…

IMG_7721-X2.jpg

Bridge over the river on Foresthill Rd…

IMG_7722-X3.jpg

Interesting trunk lock…

IMG_7723-X3.jpg

Quite a crew that descended upon the Bug’s abode and they took it all in stride…

GroupAtBugs.jpg

We had a lovely dinner of pizza and salad complete with tales of our travels and lots of good stories…

20170604_201553-X2.jpg

20170604_201630-X2.jpg

Everyone spread out to their assigned sleeping area, be it spare bedroom, tent camping, or sleeping on the porch, for a well deserved rest… the next morning, folks flew to the winds in all different directions for different adventures… and there were many hearts that had been bound together that trip…

For me, I headed west with Festar in tow to experience some great PNW sights and roads… stay tuned cause there’s lots more to come! B)

Folks found spots for their trusty steeds to rest and found their way to the picnic tables for some well earned grub… Pop was enjoying himself immensely… I think Mr. Happy Pants was as well but I’m not sure…

DSC_4676-X3.jpg

Mr. Happy Pants makin’ friends wherever he goes…

20170603_181124-X2.jpg

Did you ever think that it wasn't the camera that made me frown? It might have been YOU that had me so aggravated!
uhoh.gif

My dearest Tyler, it would be difficult if not impossible for me to explain to you the depth of the emotions I was feeling during this ride, this event, and in your presence.

1. I don't want to beat a Dead Horse but the fact that Pop was not only alive but able to ride, the fact that he was able to ride well, and the fact that he was able to make it All The Way To California... The pride I felt, the Love I have for that man was overwhelming.

2. Meeting so many Forum Heroes was a surreal experience. So many folks I met and spoke with that all seemed to melt into a blur of happiness, I wish I could remember all the names and all the wonderful conversations. I deliberately kept my alcohol intake to a bare minimum because I knew I would have trouble remembering everyone.

3. The chance to make amends for some of the stupidity I have typed on this forum, the chance to apologize in person for my foolishness was a bigger weight off my shoulders than you can imagine. I know I did not get to everyone but two of the Most Important are in the pic above.

4. California itself. This was beyond description for me. The natural beauty of the place was incredible. The fact that we rode all the way there was equally incredible.

5. Tyler. I had to keep my frown in place to keep from losing all composure in your presence. I cannot and will not even attempt to describe how happy I was every time I saw you. I told you I was going to follow you around like an adoring puppy and I did.

Now, please finish the %#$@ Ride Report.
smile.png

I was also keeping my alcohol intake to a minimum. As it turns out, even that might have been a bit too much.

Holy Cow!! I was lit up at the banquet!!

Wahou, thank you, really thank you for this superb RR. Not only are the photos superb, and it also reminds me of one of my most beautiful trip, and yosemite is one of the places I had preferred to the United States.

Man, what a great trip. It's going to be hard to top this...

...... but that ain't gonna stop me from trying!!!!

Ride on, man!
punk.gif

I SO enjoyed this RR, Tyler. Typically heavy on pics; shy on the verbiage :thumbsup:

Loved picking out the smiling faces of left-coast friends :heart:

I had a half-assed plan to attend this Event but the planets failed to align ...

Keep on keepin' on, y'all! And play safe

mem

I am so sorry that I missed out on this!!! You are something special Tyler, thank you for sharing with us those who were unable to make the trip!

I was also keeping my alcohol intake to a minimum. As it turns out, even that might have been a bit too much.
Holy Cow!! I was lit up at the banquet!!
You were quite entertaining... :lol:

Wahou, thank you, really thank you for this superb RR. Not only are the photos superb, and it also reminds me of one of my most beautiful trip, and yosemite is one of the places I had preferred to the United States.
Yes Yosemite is quite amazing... we are very lucky to live to close to it as well as a plethora of other amazing wonders! B)

As always Tyler
punk.gif
Great RR and pics. Like Sam (Puppychow) you've a great eye.
smile.png
-- well, eyes, really.
Thanks, Rog... hope to see you and Deb soon! ;)

Man, what a great trip. It's going to be hard to top this...
...... but that ain't gonna stop me from trying!!!!

Ride on, man!
punk.gif
Bring it, Pants... :D

I SO enjoyed this RR, Tyler. Typically heavy on pics; shy on the verbiage
thumbsup.gif

Loved picking out the smiling faces of left-coast friends
heart.gif

I had a half-assed plan to attend this Event but the planets failed to align ...

Keep on keepin' on, y'all! And play safe

mem
You missed a good one, MEM... we're talking about a repeat in 2019 so maybe you can make it then! ;)

I am so sorry that I missed out on this!!! You are something special Tyler, thank you for sharing with us those who were unable to make the trip!
We missed you, Brandon, but it looks like you're finding ways to have fun up your way... hoping our paths will cross soon! B)