You Sobs Are Crazy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downn2(aka starcruiser)

Reaction score
in insurance premiums...........I repeat PAY CASH and carry Liability only for $90/yr. I'm an insurance agent in Texas, and to give you an idea of what's going on in this country, back in 1998 I got a call from my Ins Co advising us to vote for Bush for Gov of Texas as they owned him and if he got elected we're all gonna be rich thru rate increases!!!!

Well, sure enough that happened of course and the result is insurance premiums escalating a continual 20-30% a year and without interference of State Insurance officials who just sit on their hands hoping to get selected to serve somewhere in the Bush Administration for letting the Ins Co's screw everyone without their interference.....

You don't not want an insurance Co for a partner on your motorcycle...

PAYCASH or walk!!!!!! The rates are only going higher.....

I live in Texas, my rates haven't increased 20-30 percent a year or even close on my home, life or vehicles. Sorry, I just don't have 13 grand laying around to pay cash for my bike, and what happens if I'm in an accident and only have liability? Now I have no bike and I'm out 13 large. I don't think I like this advice.

While the rate increases I was referring to apply mainly to Commercial Property and Liablility, FYI Bush allowed Texas Insurers to go to a file and use system.....meaning Co's can file their own rates and policy forms rather than adhere to the State Boards recommended rates & forms.......what this means is if your homeowner rates haven't increased, which I seriously doublt unless you traded in your double wide for a single wide, your coverage has been cut back or your deductibles raised.....Also as Gov of Texas Bush allowed Auto insurers to rate based on Credit Scoring as well as MVR reports......Yes, while those who have paid every bill well in advance and have a credit score of over 600 haven't seen much of an increase, most others have seen their auto insurance rates double...........as Allstate ran credit scores on all their policy holders before renewal last year......

Progressive not only rates primarily on Credit Scoring they started the Credit Scoring fiasco.......that's why someone can get a quote from them for $700 and someone else's quote is $1200.....It's only a matter of time before State Farm and Geico gets stuck with every FRJ in the state and decides to put this class of bike in their high rish County Mutual......which will make Progressive rates look cheap....

Another possible answer is I had dealer tell me that Yamaha Credit would finance a bike without requiring Physical Damage,,,,Yes Liability alone is all they require.....IF this is true, here's your out......Anyone else been told this?

I don't live in Texas, but I am still trying to follow along. Let's see if I get this:

If you don't pay your bills on time, your credit score is less than 600, and you live in a single wide trailer, you should pay cash for your "FRJ"? Is that your advice?

Incidently, I paid cash for my FJR, but I still carry full coverage. At $260 a year, it is well worth it. It would take 50 years to pay for a new bike at that rate.

I understand what your saying, but carrying liability only especially when I live down in South Texas (re: The land of the non insured, I carry non insured motorist coverage also) just seems to be bad advice. I can't afford to pay for a new bike out of pocket. I'm well aware that Yamaha doesn't require full coverage, not that I used their financing anyway.

I live in Texas, I'm an actuary and IMHO down2's advice is only for those who can afford to pay cash for a vehicle whenever it is wrecked.

As far as his comments about rates increasing 20 to 30 percent a year, mine have actually decreased.

His comments about George W, seem to be in the wrong discussion forum...

downn2,

As a Texas native, 40+year rider and Libertarian (since the Democratic Party disappeared over a decade ago), I’ve got two words for you… Bravo Sierra!

Is uninsured Motorist a good deal? You tell me, if the premium is $20-50/year definitely yea........but in the policies I've seen, the premiums are ridiculously high and limited to $20,000 for Bodily Injury which means there is NO UNDERINSURED MOTORIST COVERAGE as 20K is the minimum coverage somewould carries and it doesn't pay excess!!!!!......and many make the Uninsured Motorcycle physical damage (collision) just as ridiculously high… In otherwords, the uninsured/underinsured motorist is where all the premiums are loaded into......Just make sure you know what your buying and for how much.

Remember, Insurance agents make a living off a % your insurance Premium….

Plus, more importantly, these policies don't pay for replacement of your bike with a new one......and if you do have a wreck and the damage exceeds 40% of the bikes wholesale worth....the insurance co has the right to buy your bike from you for the "Trade In Value" NOT TOP DOLLAR RETAIL! You don't have a choice....

Just trying to help..........

I too live in Tx. My rates have gone down in spite of my increasing my coverage in that time.

10 years ain't jack, bub. Go back to the whole "mandatory insurance" scam that was foisted onto us by the insurance industry (something like 20+ years ago). We still have people who go without insurance (in spite of that being the selling point) but now companies cover high risk groups they used to send packing. The end result is increased premiums, still at risk from the uninsured, and an industry that goes whining for rate hikes any time they pay out more than 3% of their income in claims.

Troll... :assasin:
Yup. 5 posts and three of them are in this thread. But, just for grins...

downn2 is on crack. I buy a $12k bike cash (which I did) and carry only liability, for whatever hairbrained reason you can come up with. Tomorrow I wreck it or it's stolen. I'm out $12k PLUS farkle costs with no recourse except to whine about my own damn stupidity.

Whatever eff'd up insurance issues YOU are having for whatever reason, it's your problem (and probably your fault) and has nothing to do with anyone or anything other than YOU and the insurance companies.

Yes, insurance sucks and I think the entire system is one giant organized crime ring. But, everyone in the country deals with it and carries on with life (same with personal property tax, gas taxes, registration fees, tag renewals, etc... it all sucks, welcome to corporate America).

My feejer will have full coverage until the extended warantee is up... then it's off to a 2008 FJR for me. :p

sorry about your rates, all you folks in Texas.

My rate here in California is $12 per month through USAA.

trolls.gif

Sorry, but, it sounds like someone pissed in your Cheerios this morning, downn2

All I'm saying is if and that's a BIG IF, the insurance cost are reasonable, insurance can make sense....but I'm hearing people mentioning $1,000 or more a year for Insurance for a FJR that's only worth $10,000 after it's driven off the showroom floor......Imagine this, in Five years you've paid in $5,000 - $6,000 in premium for a motorcycle only worth around $6,000...!!!! Meanwhile, the insurance co never decreased your rates to adjust for the loss of value due to depreciation they're gonna hit you with in case you do ever have a claim..And you can't figure out why your always broke to the point of not ever being able to pay cash for a bike? Result: You're TRAPPED LIKE THE BROKE RAT YOU ARE FOREVER.

To put everything in it's proper perspective

Someone who buys a new Cadillac loses more then $15,000 the first time they stick the key in the ignition and drive em off the dealers lot...

4 Season tickets for the Dallas Mavericks and the Dallas Stars cost $60,000/year

A golf trip to pebble beach for a week cost $15,000.....

4 first class tickets on American Airlines to Hawaii cost $12,000.

$15,000 is the just the taxes on a Ferrari.......

$15,000 won't pay even pay for one semester of college

And if you do total your bike out....you'll probably be dead anyway!!!!

Get it?

Just out of curiosity, do you start all of your conversations with potential clients by referring to them as SOBs and then telling them that they're are too dumb to pund dirt? Or just the motorcyclists?

but I'm hearing people mentioning $1,000 or more a year for Insurance for a FJR that's only worth $10,000 after it's driven off the showroom floor.
Specious argument and invalid premiss.

1. You insure for replacement (or replacement less what you can afford out of pocket). Depreciation off the showroom floor is irelevent as a replacement bike doesn't take into consideration depreciation until you drive IT off the showroom floor.

2. Higher rates are a function of the rider. If they want lower rates then they keep their nose clean and their rates will go down.

Imagine this, in Five years you've paid in $5,000 - $6,000 in premium for a motorcycle only worth around $6,000...!!!!
Again, specious and without merit. It assumes that no value is received from the use of the bike over the 5 or 6 years. And it assumes that you can pay out of pocket for a complete replacement for an uninisured bike in the event of a total loss (or fraction thereof).

Meanwhile, the insurance co never decreased your rates to adjust for the loss of value due to depreciation they're gonna hit you with in case you do ever have a claim.
People have already referenced their rates going down. More than anything it sounds like you have a personal beef with insurance companies. Sounds almost like you are pissed because of high rates. Maybe you should work to move into a lower risk group and enjoy the benefits of being covered while not paying the extra high premiums that come from being a squid. Squidliness has its price. If the entrance fee is too high perhaps they should be walking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts