Zumo 450/550 Owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapeApe

Reaction score
My wife borrowed a co-workers GPS unit and loves it. She gave me the green light to pick one up and I have been eyeing the Zumo 450/550 to use on my FJR as well as for car use. How well does this unit work in the car? The one she borrowed was a Nuvi and found it easy to use. I figure if we are to get one, I might as well get one I can use on my bike too. So owners, how good is the Zumo for car use?? Thanks.

The Zumo works great in the car. Compared to my factory unit in my 07 Honda Civic, it has more features, a better menu system, better maps and points of interest, and overall just works "smarter" when it comes to navigation. The bluetooth integration is great, and the speakerphone works great in the car (must have the car mount to get the speaker). You won't be sorry using it in the car.

Only downside is that the screen is small, especially compared to newer portable gps units and factory installed units. So, for viewing maps and scrolling around, it can be less convenient.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

I have the Zumo 550 use it on bike and in car the blue tooth is great in car I have owned 5 differant GPs units the 550 is my favorite.

I have the 550 and use it in the truck frequently.

Comes with both car and bike mounts so......

Seems to be the animal of choice.

Good luck.

I also use my 550 both on my bike and in my car. I find it easy to use, especially on the bike. Music quality is good, though you can't send XM radio over bluetooth to a helmet headset - at least I haven't found a way. I end up with a wire from the Zumo to my helmet that carries phone, XM, and MP3.

As for routing, I was in a rally in New Mexico and got stuck in a parade in Shiprock, NM. The Zumo was almost able to route me through the tiny back roads of the town to get me around the parade. If not for some road construction I think I would have made it.

I highly recommend the Zumo 550.

G26

Since my Zumo 550 came with both a bike and car mount, it's a natural to use in the car and I do all the time. I down load my favorite radio talk show MP3 and listen on my commute to and from work (through my custom molded ear plugs, which I also use on the bike). Since it bluetooths with my phone, I have a hands-free driving set up as well. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Paul Peloquin

IBA #333

Monmouth OR

I have a Zumo 550 and a Garmin Nuvi 260W. Both are very good GPS's. I find them to be very intuitive to use - almost no manual reading required. If your wife used a Nuvi, she knows how to use a Zumo as the menus are very similar short the motorcyle specific items such as the gas gauge which only works in the motorcyle mount anyway. There is a ton of info available for the Zumo on their own forum HERE.

Herkypilot

Ditto all comments above. Let me emphasize you should get a motorcycle gps to use in the car, NOT the other way around. My Zumo 550 is water and vibration resistant plus the mc mount is very sturdy. You can't say that about non mc gps's.

Ron

As above ... Works great moving between Truck and Bike.

Have the XM puck which also moves easily between the two.

Good luck with your purchase..

Only downside is that the screen is small, especially compared to newer portable gps units and factory installed units.
Agreed. My wife and I both have Zumo 550's for our bikes and we (easily) swap them back and forth between the bikes and various cars - our own, friends, rentals...Best all around unit money can buy.

My Zumo 550 is every bit as good as the factory unit in my wife's Lexus, and that's pretty good.