Zumo Power Cable Extension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmsteenburg

Reaction score
My new to me 2005 came with an old Zumo 450 which for this ludite is more than sufficient for my navigation needs but it's mounted on the head nut and blocks my view of the lower part of the gauges and warning lights and makes it hard for me to fit a gloved hand behind it to get to my key. I'd like to move it to the threaded hole on the clutch perch but the power cable lacks about 6" from reaching. It was wired nicely and I don't relish the idea of tearing into things to redo it with a new cable so I have been looking for a simple extension cable but haven't been able to find one? Has anybody seen one of these in the wild?

Cable should be plenty long enough. Probably wire tied inside the battery compartment. I know you don't want to mess with the good wiring job, but I do not think there is an extension.

*side note spent a lot of time in Alamosa a couple of years ago. Working out on the rail yard.

Rusty

"Head nut?" The steering stem nut?

I don't know how you have it fastened now but RAM mounts are very nice. A 1" rubber ball on your steering stem nut and another on your GPS then something like this in between. Its available in different lengths. Allows you to move the GPS away from the gauges and ignition key.

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Composite-Double-Socket-1-Inch/dp/B005KWPJ04/

N4HHE is correct. Don't know how long your Ram Ball is, but I can see how a longer one could maybe cause an issue. My 1" arm has been on the stem nut since 2008, and has never been in the way. Maybe get a shorter arm before taking stuff apart.

Thank you guys, I have it sorted and all is well. It was mounted with a Spyder mount on the steering stem nut and that had the garmin on a 4" post that was just too high for me to be happy with. I have been riding dirt and adventure for many moons and wanted to get back to a simple ram mount. Neonguy95 was right, I was just trying to avoid my first journey under the plastic. There was a coil zip tied under the dash that allowed plenty of cable for the new location. Hey Neonguy95, do you know Matt Abbey??

Latest posts