SkooterG munches Playa dust!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
Last night, SkooterG apparently hit some whoop-de-do's near the rough entrance to the Black Rock Desert Playa when returning from Gerlachfest services.

He tasted playa dust at some speed, bike is a little bent, reports have the rider with a broken clavicle, otherwise basically okay.

The doctor also suggested he may have brain damage, given his odd behavior. We quickly told him that, no, that's just SkooterG! :lol:

I missed the entire show as I was in one of the returning caravans that left the Playa early. I busted out of Gerlach for home at dawn, and am just hearing about SkooterG now.

Y'all now know all that I do on the subject.

I understand Ignacio was on the scene, and he should be home shortly. He undoubtedly has more details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn :angry2: I hate to here that. Hope Skoots ok.

:(

Guess he won't be at LOE - I'll miss him.

Heal quick Skoot

tel

Got back an hour and half ago.

Yeah, I was in the back of Austin's truck and we must have got there just a couple minutes after the fact. Hobart and another person with EMT background were looking him over. It seemed like a broken clavicle (is that also know as the collarbone?) and maybe a rib or two. Austin and a couple other folks hauled him down to Reno and I understand they looked him over and released him in the early a.m. Not sure of the final diagnosis.

He said at the scene that he tried to motocross the whoop-de-do, but just didn't make it. He says, "Anybody see it? I didn't get to." Made me chuckle.

I ended up riding the busted up FJR back to Bruno's. It was totally ridable even though the right foot peg was busted off, steering about 5 degrees crooked, dented tank, dented can, and probably a lot of other things that will probably total it out for 90,000 miles.

We swapped foot pegs last night and Dean took it down to Bryan's and George hauled most of Skooter's luggage. Art took a few things with him home.

Suffice it to say, Skooter has new-found respect for the playa.

Suffice it to say, Skooter has new-found respect for the playa.
Shyeah....! :blink:

Here is the latest update from Brian Roberts:

After Dean rode Gregs bike down to Fernley, Art Montoya (who had caught up to us on the way down) informed us that he was in Washoe Medical and had seen the Dr. and was diagnosed with a broken clavical.
We called Greg and talked to him at which time I suggested a plane home to Aridzona. Rick Martin who had also followed us to Fernley had the rental car and a flight at 1:00 am. We gathered up Greg's personal possessions and sent them with Rick into Reno with directions to Washoe Med to pick up Greg and transport him to the airport. I included my cell number with directions to call if any hangs ups appear.

I have not heard from them so assume that Greg did find a flight (many direct daily's from Reno to Phoenix). Meanwhile I will correct some of the small things with his bike like attaching the windscreen and maybe even get the front peg replaced so it will be ready to ride home when Greg can retreive it.
All players mentioned are forum members right here! Sounds to me like the LD & FJR Boyz know how to take care of their own! B)

All players mentioned are forum members right here! Sounds to me like the FJR Boyz know how to take care of their own! B)
Yeah, we did. And so did Tom (great BMW guy) and think something Philips? I got the distinct feeling that as I was drifting off to sleep at about 1 a.m. that they were probably still enroute to Reno and when I saw Tom again at 9 a.m. or so...that he didn't get much if any sleep.

That's a great group of folks Warchild. Hobart even did a mini-accident scene investigation to reconstruct the physics of this stunt.

If you're gonna auger into the playa.....I can't think of another group I'd rather splat in front of ;)

Rick Martin was with Scooter in Reno when I called him from the road this morning. I gave him a general damage report of his bike, which perked him up, as he was thinking much worst. He was doing a lot of apologizing and thanking everyone who helped him at the scene.

I took a ride back out to the scene once the sun came up, for a quick check to see if there was anything that may have flown off his bike. Except for the missing piece of foot peg that used to hold it to the bike, I couldn't see anything.

It is indeed great news that Scooter's injuries were not any more severe than what was diagnosed at the scene. :)

The LD crowd knows how to take care of their own.

You guys make me proud! :fans:

Hope Skoot gets well soon. Not familair with the area? Was this on dirt/sand?

Good to hear all is repairable.

I guess we know who will be top Admin for a while since he won't be ridding :D !

Pony up Skoot, you gonna 06 it or PDP an 07 B)

I hope I never have to help anyone (else) at a crash, but hope some of you guys will be around when I crash.

Hope Skoot gets well soon. Not familair with the area? Was this on dirt/sand?
It's a Euclidan flat surface extended like 20 miles.......except for sometimes areas close to the edge. It's where they broke the speed of sound in a car.

It's a surreal place that distance and speed are very stretched out....or can suddenly become super compressed as Skooter learned. He crossed a "lane" that was heading roughly 90 degrees to where he was traveling. It's an area that's a few inches lower than the surrounding playa. Maybe doable on a dual sport, but not so much on FJR.

Several pictures to give a clue of what I'm talking about when I say playa

0003.jpg

playa.jpg

I have some photo's I took this am that show the take off and coming to rest location of his bike. I will be forwarding them to him for posterity. :(

I'm sorry to hear about the crash. I'm really glad SkooterG is not badly hurt.

Props to the people who helped him get to the hospital and who took care of retrieving his bike. Good job!

Heal up Skooter, .......but now you too can become a post whore on your time off for healing !! :D

Didn't Skoot just buy a backup FJR ? :unsure:

Heal up Skooter, .......but now you too can become a post whore on your time off for healing !! :D
With a busted wing in a sling me thinks if he does post...they will be rather short, to the point, and right handed.

Didn't Skoot just buy a backup FJR ? :unsure:
Yes. I can imagine some merging will be going on in the future.

Heal soon Skooter. Use to go out there and windup the fourwheelers. Can get a little tricky. Diddo's to the boys who hauled him to the doc. PM. <>< :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Are you fucking kidding me? Dammit skoot! I knew you had a penchant for some dicked up riding (with me right ahead of you), but dang! Busted bones ain't good, especially when you owe me a hand flipped steak! Too, please tell me it was the 88k bike and not the 7k one...

That's it! I'm coming out there in November and kick your sorry ass all over Casa Grande until you learn some sensibilities! Kids. Sheesh!

We'll hook you up with one of these, k? ;)

training-wheels.jpg

Heal up quick, buddy.