upper right faring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fapolo

Reaction score
hi hi

bought my fjr in dec 2008 - been riding it pretty regularly to work and long distances - max speed never more than 250kph

3 mths ago as i was going at about 220kph, the upper faring on the right hand side flew off - i felt something touch my thigh but i only realized it when i stopped to fuel up sometime later.

i have placed an order through my dealer but till now they keep telling me that it takes a long time as they can only order it from japan....

the bike doesnt look good anymore...... is there any other way to expedite/place the order?

or... can i just ask someone to copy the faring on the left and have it fixed somehow??

I think you're talking about the side visor (the part that can be placed in two positions to help with heat from summer to winter). Other than trying to find one on a place like Craig's List or EBAY, you are dependent on Yamaha. You may be able to find one from a different yeaer and have it painted. But, I suspect that, by the time you got finished with that process, you'd have a new one from Yamaha for a smaller total expenditure. If it's any consolation, the fact that it's missing will have a very small functional impact.

I think you're talking about the side visor (the part that can be placed in two positions to help with heat from summer to winter). Other than trying to find one on a place like Craig's List or EBAY, you are dependent on Yamaha. You may be able to find one from a different yeaer and have it painted. But, I suspect that, by the time you got finished with that process, you'd have a new one from Yamaha for a smaller total expenditure. If it's any consolation, the fact that it's missing will have a very small functional impact.

thank you for your response - i finally got it replaced after 6 months of waiting ...... yes, u r right there wasn't any functional impact - guess it was just vanity getting the better side of me :)

Those fairing pieces are stupid. Mine came off and hit me in the leg too. Fortunately I was on a rural road, so I went back and found it. It was replaced under warranty.

The service manager said the cheap little tabs are notorious for breaking off, which leads to the entire part flying off. He suggested a little grease on the tab that goes into the clip to reduce the effort required to remove it when necessary. Mine all have white lithium grease on them now.

Parts falling off??!!! What's this about parts falling off???!

Mine never had any parts falling off!!!! (A rider once. OK, twice. But no parts.)

Could it be because . . . . . I dunno . . . . .

I wonder if Howie's ever had any parts fall off??? (Not bang together... fall off!)

Anybody with a pre-'06 bike ever have any parts fall off????

EDIT: Reading that back, the Howie line just sounds . . . . really bad. But I'm leaving it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parts falling off??!!! What's this about parts falling off???!

Mine never had any parts falling off!!!! (A rider once. OK, twice. But no parts.)

Could it be because . . . . . I dunno . . . . .

I wonder if Howie's ever had any parts fall off??? (Not bang together... fall off!)

Anybody with a pre-'06 bike ever have any parts fall off????

EDIT: Reading that back, the Howie line just sounds . . . . really bad. But I'm leaving it in.
You are enjoying torturing Howie waaaaay too much! :rolleyes: I get it, I understand it, but, it still seems Wrong! :p

Those fairing pieces are stupid. Mine came off and hit me in the leg too. Fortunately I was on a rural road, so I went back and found it. It was replaced under warranty.

The service manager said the cheap little tabs are notorious for breaking off, which leads to the entire part flying off. He suggested a little grease on the tab that goes into the clip to reduce the effort required to remove it when necessary. Mine all have white lithium grease on them now.
Is it because of tabs breaking off? Or because folks don't properly insert the piece into the tabs? Me thinks it's the latter.

Is it because of tabs breaking off? Or because folks don't properly insert the piece into the tabs? Me thinks it's the latter.
I Agree! If they are snapped in correctly and the 2 fasteners are properly locked down, I don't see where they will just pop out of place. :rolleyes:

Well, if you knew what you were talking about, your opinion would matter. :p

The fairing pieces are held on by two plastic tabs. Each tab has an arm that comes down and a very small, thin cross piece that is the part that snaps into the metal clip. Those thin pieces of shit break easily, and if any force is used to remove or replace the fairing piece, the chance of breaking that thin little tab is high. If the piece is not put into the clip correctly, it won't fit, and it will be obvious.

Based on the number of complaints I have heard about these pieces coming off, I'm not inclined to think they are not being installed correctly. I believe they are broken. I know mine was, but neither the service manager nor I thought it was a big deal, since everything fit together correctly. When the part flew off, he knew why, so he replaced both sides under warranty. That's when he suggested greasing the little cross piece to reduce the force needed to clip and un-clip the fairing piece.

As far as GenI and GenII goes, GenI wins this fight all the way. Those little adjustable pieces of shit are one of the worst excuses for faux engineering I have ever seen. Some idiot came up with an idea for a problem that didn't exist and ordered some dipshit to come up with the solution for it. What was born were the adjustable fairing pieces to assist with heat and cold. Most will tell you they don't really work, are ugly as shit when deployed, and are cheaply installed. I'd rather not bother with them, but I can't remove the fairings without taking them off.

The fairing pieces are held on by two plastic tabs. Each tab has an arm that comes down and a very small, thin cross piece that is the part that snaps into the metal clip. Those thin pieces of shit break easily, and if any force is used to remove or replace the fairing piece, the chance of breaking that thin little tab is high. If the piece is not put into the clip correctly, it won't fit, and it will be obvious.

I'd rather not bother with them, but I can't remove the fairings without taking them off.
Just in case anyone doesn't know what's being talked about, here are a couple of 1000 words:

(click on image for larger view)

The "cowling" (as Yamaha refers to them) removed, and how I use a screwdriver to ease the retention clip to help avoid damage:

And, yes, I apply Vaseline before insertion as a lubricant, not that there's anything wrong with grease. On those clips
rolleyes.gif

I would add that if one clip isn't in properly, at a casual glance it may not be obvious. I can easily see a stealer not replacing it correctly, and not noticing, then the wind could easily catch under it and rip it off.

A bit of care when removing and re-fitting them and there's no problem.
headbonk.gif
nono.gif

Last edited by a moderator: