What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not today but in the last week with some lot of help from my friends: fork rebuild, reset the suspension, changed the clutch and brake fluid, changed the anti-freeze, redid the carbon fiber cover over my generator cover.

Also George and I helped a non-forum member add Dave's brackets, Justin's lights and a Skene Intelligent Lighting Controller, Model: IQ-175 to 2014 ES. That my riding friends is a great setup. Good light and moves the stock mirrors out to you can see something besides your elbows.

Pants, this would be a great setup for your new scooter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday (not today) since the temps had climbed above 70 (actually reached the mid 80's for a while) made a little impromptu Sunday RTE with the spousal unit up to the Yankee Smokehouse in Ossipee, NH for lunch.

On the way up we took a few of the funner roads that way, one of which is Route 156, a twisty little route that runs alongside Pawtuckaway Lake 'tween Raymond and Nottingham. There was fairly light traffic for a Sunday, and there are a few good (marked) passing zones that let me dispatch a couple of speed-limit driving cages, one at a time, only to be disappointed to see the dreaded flashing blues in my rearview mirrors.

Quickly reviewing my prior actions in my head, and with my wife over the intercom, I realized, Hey, wait a minute here... I didn't really do (much of) anything wrong! I had (uncharacteristically) only passed in the passing zones, and wasn't really going all that fast (on an FJR scale).
rolleyes.gif
Not only that, but my trusty Radar Detector had been totally silent the entire time.

After finding a safe wide place to pull off the roadside, I flipped open the modular helmet to take full advantage of displaying my grizzled Van Dyke, removed my riding gloves and dark sun glasses, and waited for the impending LEO interrogation to begin.

He approached and asked for my license and registration. As I began to pull them out he then explained that he pulled me over because he didn't know why I had passed those two cars back there who were doing the speed limit.

"Any particular reason you did that?"

I withheld any comment.

"You were going at least 60."

"Oh, I don't think I was going 60."

(I'm thinking to myself, no... more like 70. But you didn't get me on radar. )

"Those cars were going the speed limit. You had to have been going 60 when you passed them"

No comment.

After a long period of searching records in the cruiser he returned and handed me a yellow performance certificate (not a full award because it was just a warning) on which he noted I was going 60 in a 40 mph zone and that this was established by radar. Either my man was full of it or I gotta get me a new canary.

But any day with a warning instead of a ticket is a good day.

And then... the ribs were well worth the effort.

IMG_0508.jpg

Those are their smokehouse beef ribs and they were not undercooked in the least. All of that wonderful red color is the smoke-ring. Fresh loaf of hot corn bread with maple infused butter. Josie had the thin sliced Beef Brisket sammich which was almost as good as my ribs.

The only downside to this place is they do tend to draw a good sized crowd, especially on the weekends, many of which are on two (and over proportionally three) wheels, the majority of whom are members of the Pirate Dress-Up club.

As we were coming out of the restaurant we got to watch as a buccaneer biker chick on her very own Hardley decided to make some custom body alterations on my (still nearly new) 2014 FJR1300 out in the bike parking area. Seems that in her attempt at getting her "big hog" into the narrow motorcycle only space next to mine, she "couldn't keep her up" and "just had to lay her down." Right onto my left side saddlebag.

Of course all the gallant Hardley Ablemen dashed to her assistance and instantly righted the napping Sportster before any chrome became oil stained, or the bike became too accustomed to the horizontal position it had so readily engaged.

In her defense, while the Ablemen, (including her main squeeze) were laser focused only on the condition of her shiny 800, Chickee, though clearly on an adrenaline high, was quite apologetic and concerned for my bike's condition. Apparently she has not received the full brainwashing treatment from the black and orange crowd yet.

After a quick but full survey, the total damage to my new Bass Bote Red Beauty was found to have been one fully amputated saddlebag reflector, period. The double-sided foam tape had simply let go and the reflector was lying on the ground. Nothing else was even scratched. How lucky was that?

I told her after I'd looked at it, that I kind of like it better without the reflector (which is true) and that I may just go home and remove the other one. Maybe she had done be a solid with the reflector-ectomy. Her bike had also not suffered any visible damage. I suppose my FJR had adequately insulated her pride and joy from any tarmac rash.

All in all I was lucky twice in one day, we had an otherwise fantastic ride day, the FJR returned nearly 45 mpg on the tank when I filled her up (250 miles on 5.6 gallons) and that's pretty darned good for me. I'm pretty sure that I just used up a good percentage of my karma stash in one glorious afternoon. I might have got lucky a third time yesterday, but I'm not the type to tell those kind of tales...

Almost cussed it.

Battery charge was too low to start and I had to ride the POS Tenere home....

I'm truly blessed to have options....

:)

Added some lights inside my Givi topcase. At night it's just a pain when trying to dig things out of there. I picked up an LED strip from eBay and a 9V battery box with a switch from Amazon. Velcro'd the battery box and used some Gorilla tape to augment the totally insufficient sticky surface on the LED.

WP_20150518_005_zpsgvhizuy2.jpg

WP_20150518_009_zpsfgtziafb.jpg

Last night after MNM (Monday Night Mexican) I dumped the old coolant and replaced with new shiny Honda pre-mix coolant. As it was time, I also changed the engine oil and filter to MamaYamaLube 15W-50 Full Synthetic as I could not find the Repsol Synthetic that Francisco likes so much,,,,,,,I'll see if Francisco can digest the YamaLube synthetic.

Next up is getting the rear wheel off to put on the new PR2.

Biknflyfisher

You're saying that the Buck-an-ear biker babe was attracted to my BBRB FJR like a moth to a flame?

Yeah... I can see that. After all she was riding a black Hardley.

Where did you order the strip and box? I ride in the dark almost daily at some point. I always have flashlights around and an MPLS on the bars, but this is too easy not to do. Did you find the one strip sufficient? I already fabbed 9v interior power for my stock Givi LED running lights. One 9v battery runs them for a very long time.

Added some lights inside my Givi topcase. At night it's just a pain when trying to dig things out of there. I picked up an LED strip from eBay and a 9V battery box with a switch from Amazon. Velcro'd the battery box and used some Gorilla tape to augment the totally insufficient sticky surface on the LED.
WP_20150518_005_zpsgvhizuy2.jpg

WP_20150518_009_zpsfgtziafb.jpg

Installed a Cee Baileys sport reverse flip (stock height, but 2 inches wider at the top) that I picked uplocally as a 2-shield deal. The second was also of the same make but in a +2 tall +2 wide with a light gray tint.

Received a Givi V46 top case and SR357 mount from Revzilla today. As is typical with my luck I have to decide if it's worth the hassle to return it for exchange. Sorry, but when I spend $400+ for something I expect it to be pristine when it shows up at my door. It's not- there's a deep gouge in the left side reflector. And a piece of hardware is missing. Big deal, a washer, I can get another at the hardware store. But it's the principle of the thing- it did not come complete that I paid for and it's damaged.

I am not impressed........

Received a Givi V46 top case and SR357 mount from Revzilla today. As is typical with my luck I have to decide if it's worth the hassle to return it for exchange. Sorry, but when I spend $400+ for something I expect it to be pristine when it shows up at my door. It's not- there's a deep gouge in the left side reflector. And a piece of hardware is missing. Big deal, a washer, I can get another at the hardware store. But it's the principle of the thing- it did not come complete that I paid for and it's damaged.
I am not impressed........
They do free returns and exchanges. Call them and tell them. I bet they make it right and give you some credit at their site.

Yeah, just inform them of the situation and see what happens. None of us are perfect, but you can tell the good ones from the bad by how they treat you when something went wrong. Just don't be a dick on the phone...being treated well goes both ways.

Revzilla says for an exchange, even with damaged goods, I am responsible for return shipping cost. Then they'll evaluate the product and decide if the damage was in mfr, shipping or my fault (hasn't been any near the bike yet), since they themselves offer no warranty on any product they sell. Then they'll refund to the original form of payment. Since I used PayPal I can expect this entire process to take anywhere from 7-14 days. Then when the refund is credited to my acct I can order another trunk- they don't do a direct exchange as if you walked into Sears with a broken screwdriver. They do a return/refund then you order another. Add on another 4 days for it to get here.

Hence part of my original statement, "I have to decide if it's worth the hassle to return it for exchange".

I am not impressed.....

Got my bike back from the dealer yesterday, with new plastics on the left side. Now I need to wash the bugs abd grime of the right side so she is like new again...oh and also remove the reflector from the new left side case.