Shopping for Seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will just add to the pile. Went a bunch of miles on the stock seat with an Aerostich seat pad. But after getting a Russel, I kicked myself hard for waiting so long. Buy once, cry once, ride happy.

Hi There! I purchased a Sargent seat back in April and I love most things about it. Styling and width are nice but I find it to be a bit too firm after 2 hours of riding. The stock seat became uncomfortable within just 1 hour. I spoke with Sargent about this and they offer an option to add 1/2" additional padding for a reasonable price. I just sent the rider portion of my seat off today. So, my suggestion for you is that maybe a new Sargent seat can be ordered customized with extra padding to begin with. I am expecting that the extra padding added to my seat is going make it perfect! I'll report back on the improvements. Has anyone else done this?

Hi There! I purchased a Sargent seat back in April and I love most things about it. Styling and width are nice but I find it to be a bit too firm after 2 hours of riding. The stock seat became uncomfortable within just 1 hour. I spoke with Sargent about this and they offer an option to add 1/2" additional padding for a reasonable price. I just sent the rider portion of my seat off today. So, my suggestion for you is that maybe a new Sargent seat can be ordered customized with extra padding to begin with. I am expecting that the extra padding added to my seat is going make it perfect! I'll report back on the improvements. Has anyone else done this?
For what you might pay to do that. I would suggest - sell the Sargent and order a Seat Concepts kit for your stock pans.

I'm 225 lbs and I'd beg to differ. The previous owner was in excess of 300 lbs and rode the bike w/the Sargent for several years before I took the bike off his hands. I cannot agree w/your assessment.
need I point out that a 225-300lb person has a lot of non seat padding?

Yeah.....non-seat padding doesn't work. It would be awesome if it would because I would be super comfortable. I'm at 280. Wish I weren't. Working hard right now to lose a lot. But, I have Sargent Seats on both my FJR and K1600. They are heated. I have put around 50 to 60 thousand miles on them together. Many long distance rides on those seats at this weight and I am a 100% fan. I have no complaints at all. The seat is hard. But it supports. Both stock seats of the two bikes that I have feel comfortable when you sit down on them because they are soft, especially the K1600. But on a long ride I'm starting to hurt at 45 minutes to an hour. The Sargent seats I start feeling uncomrtable at about 2 hours or beyond. And it is not bad. I'm talking about doing 10 to 14 hour rides a day w/ the Sargent. For they are incredible. They are not pain free at those long days. But they are very doable. Not on the stock seats. I also have learned on long distance rides to start early in the day to start moving my butt cheeks from left to right preparing for the many miles. Anyways, just my take. Thanks for letting me bore you to tears!!!