Center Stand Technique (SPLIT)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I am a lot heftier than 155 lbs. I even had a hard time with the center stand at first. Eventually I got the technique down. I wonder if that is all it may be. Not sure if there is a youtube vid on the how to raise a feejer on the center stand.

Dave

Fred W said:
Video worked fine.
I get what it is. You are merely adding an extension to the foot tang in an attempt to add leverage force to the stand. My concern would be that the added force might break off the tang at the welds, but I guess since you are light weight gravity impaired that the force you are applying even with the added lever length may be what we Clydesdales exert every time.

Couple of questions for you... Have you lowered your bike at all? What size rear tire do you have?

The reason that I ask is that generally even lighter folks are able to easily lift the FJR with the stock center-stand as long as it hasn't been lowered somehow.

I think I need to invent an electrically (or better yet hydraulically) powered center stand.

And then if I could incorporate a reverse gear into it (for those people who insist on parking downhill (the wrong direction) in parking spaces) I'd make millions if not hundreds of dollars.
The bike hasn't been lowered. The rear tire is a 180 55 17.

I've got the technique down but come up just a little short weight-wise. I've seen the video several times, but the rider in that video is much heavier than me, and the bike is on a slight incline making it even easier.

It is pretty clear this was an area that could use some improvement since the 2013 is much easier to put on the center stand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred W said:
Video worked fine.
I get what it is. You are merely adding an extension to the foot tang in an attempt to add leverage force to the stand. My concern would be that the added force might break off the tang at the welds, but I guess since you are light weight gravity impaired that the force you are applying even with the added lever length may be what we Clydesdales exert every time.

Couple of questions for you... Have you lowered your bike at all? What size rear tire do you have?

The reason that I ask is that generally even lighter folks are able to easily lift the FJR with the stock center-stand as long as it hasn't been lowered somehow.
Yamaha should just omit 'em.. The weight savings over the problems associated with them would pay off.

Seems like they are poorly designed as so many have issues with them. Or maybe they are using the grab rail as opposed to the actual hand hold?

Either way, 1 in 65 has a problem so it should be eliminated.

This could also enhance your safety factor when parking in a dark alley ;)

I'm not so sure the riders weight is as much a factor as the force created between the grab handle and the stand when using the proper technique.

The bike hasn't been lowered. The rear tire is a 180 55 17.
I've got the technique down but come up just a little short weight-wise. I've seen the video several times, but the rider in that video is much heavier than me, and the bike is on a slight incline making it even easier.

It is pretty clear this was an area that could use some improvement since the 2013 is much easier to put on the center stand.
I am fairly certain that the easier center stand operation on Gen 3's is just a by-product of having made the stock rear suspension stiffer, which also makes it sit taller, which in turn is also more objectionable to short guys that can't touch their tootsies at the stop lights.. There is no free lunch. But if you are a lightweight tall guy, this might work.

You could also stick a taller shock on the bike, which will make it easier to center stand. My aftermarket Penske shock is easier to center stand, but that isn't why I got it. But, I don't sense that is the answer you are looking for either.

Or, you could shave down the center stand itself (using the info I have linked to earlier) and make it easier to pop-up.

Lots of options here. In the end, it's really just a center stand. You could always just use the side stand for 95% of the time (like it was intended) and the center stand only for maintenance.

I get where you're coming from, cool idea!

I used to have a lot of trouble getting the bike on the center stand too. I have a 2x4 that made it much easier, but now I don't need it. The first thing I figured out is to make sure the bike isn't in gear - this makes a huge difference..duh! I can't believe it took me a bit to figure that one out. The next was technique. Now that I have it down, I use the center stand all the time...and I'm only 135 pounds.

I like this .... I'm in your weight range and struggle to get my bike on the center stand. I can do it occasionally, but when I'm tired I just don't have the ooomph

length o'pipe, here I come ...

08FJR4ME said:
Interesting gadget but I think most feejer peeps tend to be on the robust side. You may be in the minority.
I don't think I've ever been called fat in a nicer manner ;)

I'm only using the center for maintenance and when I want a little extra room around the bike when it is in the garage. Not sure what was the difference on the 2013, but they definately pop up with less effort.

I've got some significant loss of movement in my right elbow and wrist as a result of RA and that is likely a contributing factor. I do know the hand hold on the FJR is not as easy to grip as the swing out lift handle on my former R1100RT.

In any case, I just thought I'd toss out an idea for the 1 in 65 who aren't as wonderful as the rest.

I like this .... I'm in your weight range and struggle to get my bike on the center stand. I can do it occasionally, but when I'm tired I just don't have the ooomph
length o'pipe, here I come ...
Good point. I've found that when I get off after a very long day in the saddle it is not a good time to pop it up on the center stand.

I can appreciate the fact that it works for you, but I think that there's a lot more leverage being applied to the tang in a spot that I'm uncomfortable with. I know it's gotta be a matter of technique, but the exertion involved in a "miss" is such that I don't care much for practicing. Mebbe I can get to one of the FJR GTGs and study up.

This could also enhance your safety factor when parking in a dark alley
wink.png

I'm not so sure the riders weight is as much a factor as the force created between the grab handle and the stand when using the proper technique.
Exactly. It's leverage (and speed helps). Now if someone is not very strong at pulling up on the handle for some reason, then I could see how more body mass could help with the standing on the tang part.

This is destined for NEPRT anyway, so what the heck?

I'm 145 lbs, and 70 years. I can get it up even when tired. It's technique for us non-rotundly challenged people. Weight helps, but if I can do it, anybody should be able to.

Left hand on left handlebar, right hand on hand grip under the seat.

Face the bike, ball of right foot on stand. Push stand to the ground.

Keeping stand pushed down, push bike away from you until you feel the other centre-stand foot touch the ground.

Now lift left foot off ground, so all of your weight is on your right foot. Use the right hand simply to maintain your balance.

This is the bit that's difficult to explain. Bend you right knee, push yourself up a bit, then drop by bending the knee, as you come down, straighten your leg so forcing the centre-stand down. Best analogy I can give is trying to burst a ball under your foot by first stepping on it, then bouncing on it. It's a smooth action, no jerking required. My old joints won't take any sort of jerking these days.

Make sure you're on level ground, and don't do anything with your left hand other than keep the bars straight.

The right hand may lift a little, but it's really only keeping your balance. Lift too much and it may push the bike over as well as strain your joints.

Confidence that the bike won't fall is one issue. If necessary, get a bike-savvy person to stand the other side to catch the bike if that gives you the confidence to try while you practice.

After being spoiled by the lectric K1200 LT center stand and being pretty injured especially in the right wrist the FJR lift to center stand scared the hell out of me. Always seemed it was going to go over. I have found that after 3 years of trying I can do it pretty well but I am still not confident enough that is a " no big thing" when I need to do it. It is an eerie feeling making sure the bike is far enough away from your body to get the right side center stand leg down. I do know when you get it exactly right you wonder what the fuss is about. I do work out and that sure has helped but it really isn't muscle but technique as everyone says.

On the centerstand there's about 1-3/8" clearance below the tire. Don't know why they chose that height?

Would less clearance be an easier lift? Maybe they believe you need that much to remove/install the wheel?

I've seen riders on the old BMW's just hop on and take off directly off the centerstand. A much lighter bike but it sure looked easy with minimal hassle.