The Old (2013-2014) Big FJR Tire Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When I replace my tires...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I started a poll thread on what folks were finding the best tire to use on their FJRs. That data was pretty interesting, but time has marched on in the sport touring motorcycle tire industry. Newer choices are now available and some old ones are NLA. The results in the old poll is skewed by dated data and does not accurately reflect today's preferences.

Rather than over-writing the old poll's data, I've requested that the admins close the prior thread (so as to minimize confusion and retain the poll results for historical value) and we'll just start up a new 2013 poll right here.

So, what's your favorite FJR tires now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Still on PR2s for now. I like the durability and will try PR3s next I think, once these have worn out. I probably have about 6k on the set now and they are starting to show hints of trapezoidal shape up front. Rears are fine.

Other on rear - Dunlop Roadsmart 2 is my favorite these days after I had a PR3 do bad things at speed in the Nevada desert.

I may try a Roadsmart 2 on the back next time I used to like the Roadsmart 1 back tire with a Pirelli on front.

Currently still running PR2 rears with a BT023GT on the front, which is a good combo.

Funny how the PR2 is still superior to the PR3's. For me I will keep running the PR2's until I can't buy them anymore.

Dave

PR2 on rear tire is the ultimate mileage mcy tire with semi grippy tread...good enough for 95% of my riding.

PR2 fronts suck after the 1st 1000 miles. After my trip with wife using BT-023GTs...I am amazed at how the front tire keeps it's profile. Again, not the grippiest front, but a great compromise for touring and the pace that I ride...atleast for 95% of it.

Thus, my votes...since I ride like a pansy.

If learned to really ride, and didn't care about mileage, I would probably use a RS2 on back, and an Angel on front.

I have the latest Perrelli Angel up front. It seems to complement my Michelin Exalto CAR TIRE in the rear quite well. Still the ratio of replacement seems to be 2 1/2 fronts to 1 rear.

Not complaining about that.

Note... I had a PR3 up front in the past, I didn't like it all that well. It was a noisy tire with all those sipes, sounded like a mud tire. It wore out rather quickly too, it's tread blocks scalloped excessively.

I'm quite happy with my Pirelli Anget GT's - new version released this year. So far, they seem to be lasting fairly well and I think handling is at least as good as the PR2. While I have liked the PR2 during the first half of their life, the last half tends to suck. The PR3's were really nice at the beginning but (for me) didn't last as long as the PR2. If I get decent life out of the current Angels, I'll go back to them again.

Note... I had a PR3 up front in the past, I didn't like it all that well. It was a noisy tire with all those sipes, sounded like a mud tire. It wore out rather quickly too, it's tread blocks scalloped excessively.
+1

Won't buy another set of PR3's. Had the same issue with the front tire & the horizontal rain grooves. If you like Michelin stay with the PR2's.

I just had a set of the Bridgestone BT-023-GT put on the other day. Felt much better on the ride home. Much smoother. Hoping it's a good tire & I'll see how it wears in comparison.

There's a new entry out there too I'd like to see someone review: Bridgestone T30 GT. They are touting it as a "touring" oriented sport-touring tire, and say the 023 is it's predecessor....
https://www.bridgestonemotorsport.com/championships/other/news/2863/bridgestone_launches_battlax_sport_touring_t30_motorcycle_tyre__and_puts_the_pleasure_back_in_touring
I don't think they are available in North America yet but were released in Europe earlier this year. I will try them when they become available; depending upon what I see from early (European) reports.

There's a new entry out there too I'd like to see someone review: Bridgestone T30 GT. They are touting it as a "touring" oriented sport-touring tire, and say the 023 is it's predecessor....
https://www.bridgestonemotorsport.com/championships/other/news/2863/bridgestone_launches_battlax_sport_touring_t30_motorcycle_tyre__and_puts_the_pleasure_back_in_touring
I don't think they are available in North America yet but were released in Europe earlier this year. I will try them when they become available; depending upon what I see from early (European) reports.
According to their website, it was released in March of '13. Surely some reviews are in?

I love the PR2s F&R but a friend told me to try a Pilot Power on the front and I love it more.

Great grip and is less noisy that the PR2 front.

PR2 on rear tire is the ultimate mileage mcy tire with semi grippy tread...good enough for 95% of my riding.
PR2 fronts suck after the 1st 1000 miles. After my trip with wife using BT-023GTs...I am amazed at how the front tire keeps it's profile. Again, not the grippiest front, but a great compromise for touring and the pace that I ride...at least for 95% of it.
My experiences mirror Wheaton's. (Well, other than having his wife along on a trip that is.) BT-023GTs went on a SS1k, CFR, NERDS, and a few other weekend jaunts. Rear at almost 10k just came off. To the wear-bars in the center (too much slab) but probably had some life left. Front still looks just fine so on went a rear PR2 only. Can't complain about the BT, just liked the feel of my last rear PR2s better. When it comes time to change the front I'll either try another BT or see what you all are saying about something else.

I love the PR2s F&R but a friend told me to try a Pilot Power on the front and I love it more.Great grip and is less noisy that the PR2 front.
I've heard that also, the PP not the PP2, right?.

How's mileage on the PP front as compared to a PR2 rear. I would gladly give up a little mileage on the front for a better gripping tire, especially if it wears out closer to the same time as the rear, which for me with the PR2 is ~ 9k miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the neat thing about our FJRs, they have the same wheel sizes as a sport bike. If you want to, you can put the grippiest bubble gum tires on the thing and have a grand yeeeeehaaaa time with it.

That's the neat thing about our FJRs, they have the same wheel sizes as a sport bike. If you want to, you can put the grippiest bubble gum tires on the thing and have a grand yeeeeehaaaa time with it.
Yeah, but you won't go far with one on the back. The front seems to be a different matter. Does that mean that our lovely Feejer girls have big butts? Too much junk in the trunk, so to speak?

Bridgestone T-30 is shown as in stock at Bike Bandit but I'd llike to see a couple of user reviews before replacing the 023-GT with ~15000 miles on it with the T-30. Definitely have to replace before next spring/summer. Original OEM Bridgestone was worn almost to the wear bars at 7400 miles. O23 GT front and rear now and very happy with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.