The Big FJR Tire Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My primary criteria for choosing a favorite is

• Availability (whatever my local shop has)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The FJR is a well known tire eater. Between it's weight and power to the back wheel, tires are a big part of Feejer ownership.

So naturally, the question comes up around here really often:

"Hey, what is everyone else running for Tires these days?"

Why not just have a running poll to answer that very question? I have proposed a couple of current model tires that seem to be popular. You pick a front and a rear and then say whether you use matched sets. If enough people think that some other tire not listed is really great, I'll try to add it to the poll, and when a tire is NLA I'll delete it (assuming that option is available [edit - I found out that it is]).

If you change your mind some time down the road, or when your old favorite is NLA, feel free to delete your vote and vote again.

[edit - when a tire is NLA, when I remove that choice your vote for it goes away too]

As the old adage goes (and this is definitely germane to tire selection) "Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one and they all smell." But if enough assholes have the same stinky opinion, well it just may be of some significance! ;)

If this poll works out and helps to reduce the number of NEPR tire T's, maybe we can sticky the thread or link it from the FAQs? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Freddie Bear, great idea and fun too! I voted for my good old PR2's! Interesting to see the results of this one!

Hey Fred,

Can you start one on windshields too? ;) Anyway my bet will be on PR2's being the front runner.

Dave

Freddie Bear, great idea and fun too! I voted for my good old PR2's! Interesting to see the results of this one!

No, no, Donny dear. I covered that with option #8 in the rear end category.

Hey Fred,

Can you start one on windshields too? ;) Anyway my bet will be on PR2's being the front runner.

Dave

Windshields? Hell no!! I ain't touchin' that one.

But at this particular point in time, and based only on the most recent visual tire poll in a parking lot of the NERDS breakfast club, where 7 out of 7 bikes had PR2's on 'em, I'd have to guess that you are spot on.

Looks like I was first at something this month. Fresh set of Metz, 2nd time around. First to put them on the polling board. Nice poll. Good for reference......hmmm.average mileage????

Strada front / Roadsmart rear is goto combo for me right now. Angels ST is the substitute / replacement once the Strada's dry up (I'm on my last one now).

Are the 'Stone BT-023s in the poll "GT"s or non-"GT"s?

Or, doesn't it make any difference?

Although the "GT" is designed specifically for the FJR (and similar) -- some are using, and profess to prefer, non-"GT"s. :unsure:

FWIW, I've run 'stones, azaros, storms, roadsmarts and PR2s. So far my favorite is the PR2's Great mileage, feedback, grip. got 13K on them now. I'm guessing there are at least 2K more in them. Normally I get about 11-12K out a set. Not sure what kind of fairy dust Michelin puts in there, but it works. I'll be putting on the PR2s next time too.

Gutsy, Fred, this could go NEPRT if it was pushed..... Just my unscientific observations and opinions, but the bell curve will contain mostly riders of average riding habits... on the left edge are those who never push the limits, and the right edge are habitual canyon carvers. Some are mostly slab riders (not me!). All want that personal combination of wear and grip. Add in other variables such as two-up and whatever tire pressures folks run. Also remember different asphalt formulations in various parts of the country and the "hotter than Hades" weather in some parts will affect longevity.

I voted the Z6 or Z8, as they are slightly in the right half, sticky enough in all conditions yet wear average. I tried the PR2 rear, and it was good in the summer, but once it got colder, I found they would step out which you could partially compensate with running a lower pressure. It didn't last much longer than the Z6, and it started getting noisy (cupping) after 3000 miles (I do run my rears at 44, fronts at 40-42 as this does help to alleviate the heat build-up, therefore wear).

Then there are those who run Angels or such stickier tires, and of course, they won't last as long. Those who accelerate fast and brake fast will find their rears don't last long.

So, no real surprise most will like the PR2's as they stick reasonably well and last a tad longer. For me, the Z6, the improved Z6 Interac, and now the Z8 are the most confidence-inspiring for me as I like to push it now and then. But wait, I went darkside... I will keep a Metzeler on the front regardless.

I suppose an additional poll question might be, "What do you look for in a tire?" or "Why did you choose your particular tire as the best?".

Fred the only thing I would like to add is that I am using PR's, but the back is a PR2B. Do we care?

Been a PR2 fan for a while, but for the last two sets tried 023 GT's. Nice light feel with great turn in and stick well. Too early to tell the mileage, but the last set looked great at 3K.

Time will tell!

--G

Your comparisons, polls, and chatter about this subject are all futile. I find your lack of faith... disturbing. It's only a matter of time until you see the light of the dark side. However, I'm getting pretty good mileage out of my front PR2...

Gary

darksider #44

I would definitely split Z6 and Z8 into two separate selections. They are not even close to the same tire.

If there was some way to allow multiple selections and still keep the total valid, this would be great. But in reality and the way it works right now, this thing would quickly become an American Idol voting war if multiples were allowed.

:(

Strada front / Roadsmart rear is goto combo for me right now. Angels ST is the substitute / replacement once the Strada's dry up (I'm on my last one now).
That was mine too, when there were still Stradas. But alas, they are NLA so I didn't even include them in the poll.

Are the 'Stone BT-023s in the poll "GT"s or non-"GT"s?

Or, doesn't it make any difference?
I was figuring on seeing how many chose into the B'stones first and if there are enough we could separate them out? A limitation of the poll is that you can only have 10 answers to a question. But I might have a way around that.

Fred the only thing I would like to add is that I am using PR's, but the back is a PR2B. Do we care?
I think in this case there isn't enough difference to worry about it? But we might be able to separate those too.

I would definitely split Z6 and Z8 into two separate selections. They are not even close to the same tire.

If there was some way to allow multiple selections and still keep the total valid, this would be great. But in reality and the way it works right now, this thing would quickly become an American Idol voting war if multiples were allowed.

:(
I was thinking that they were pretty different too. I have separated those into two selections. Unfortunately that means that I had to delete the original, combined one. So you Metzler fans will have to cast your vote again, Sorry.

I think the idea here is to pick your current favorite. There are other good combinations, obviously. But, at least for this exercise, you have to pick just one.

edit - I've also added a question about what you are looking for in a tire, so we can get a feel for what any of this means, per Ray's comments.

Your comparisons, polls, and chatter about this subject are all futile. I find your lack of faith... disturbing. It's only a matter of time until you see the light of the dark side. However, I'm getting pretty good mileage out of my front PR2...

Gary

darksider #44
Good Morning Fred W, since it is our FJR Forum Dogpile Friday, I just want to pat you on the back and tell you what a Good Guy you are! Every one of us on the Forum has a Family Member that we refer to as "Weird Cousin Larry"! You know the relative, everybody has a "Cousin Larry" hidden away in the family tree. And every "Cousin Larry" is the same! You only see "Cousin Larry" once a year at the Family Get Together Picnic, but he always does the same crapola.

"Cousin Larry" always sits in dog shit on the grass and then wants to sit at your table to eat. "Cousin Larry" always farts loudly while GrandDad is saying Grace before the family meal. "Cousin Larry" also will always find a delicious booger in his schnozz that he just has to eat right in front of you. "Cousin Larry" also always has a car that won't start after the picnic, so there you are trying to get his piece of junk jalopy running for him. "Cousin Larry" also always "hogs" all of the dessert and always has toilet paper hanging off of his shoe.

Here on our Fine FJR Forum we also have our own family "Cousin Larry's", they are the Cultists of the FJR Car Tire. Eric, Bustanut joker, FJRob1300, Big-D, RadioHowie, Gary, Ray, FJRONAMISSION Brian and so many others: Cat Blood Drinking, Wife Swapping and Satanic Devil Worshiping Bastards, every single one of them. And yet Fred, you are big hearted enough to include these cretins in your FJR Tire Poll. You are a Great Humanitarian for allowing these whacko jerkoff slobs into our FJR family fold, just a telling tribute to what a great human being you are Fred! Bravo, well done!

Fred, my RS Warrior burned through tires quicker than the FJR, and was a hoot to ride, but the lack of luggage and a windshield made it less desirable on long rides. The FJR consistantly gets on average 3k to 4k more miles than the Warrior ever did (another of the many reasons I never looked back) Naturally, any bike with this much muscle and weight is going to eat tires (probably why we don't see dark side on a Vespa) I am currently running my 2nd set of PR2's, and think it's the best tire so far, but will need a tire change in the next month or 2. Key words so far, I've yet to try the PR3, which will be my next choice, so I will reserve judgment untill after I've tried them and final verdict from the early adoptors.

Status
Not open for further replies.