Zappa plays Zappa

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
Being a huge Frank Zappa fan from the 70's and had enjoyed more than one of his concerts with the first being in 1974. So when I read Dweezil Zappa was playing his father's album "Roxy and Elsewhere" in Sacramento at the Crest Theater I knew I had to go. Best part is my son Joe also likes his music so for his 23rd birthday I said it was my treat to the show. We jumped into the family truckster and motored to downtown Sacramento for the concert.

We had a half hour to kill so we walked across the street to the "Dive Bar" , actually a nice place with a big aquarium above the bar. Sometimes mermaids can be seen swimming with the fish but we didn't have time to drink that much so after a couple pops we walked back across the street to the show.

The Crest Theater https://thecrest.com/ is a very nice small venue, just the way I like it as my stadium concert days are long gone. It was a very good concert although the younger Zappa is much more reserved than his father but it was great to hear music I know preformed live. I'm sure Joe was impressed with my singing along with most of the songs.

After the concert we walked down to the stage where Joe ( he plays drums) was explaining the elaborate DW drum set to me when Dweezil walked by on his way to go sign autographs in the lobby. I asked him for a picture with me and he was very gracious to let Joe take our picture. It's a crappy cell photo so I won't bother to post it here. I saw Frank preform this album 40 years ago and now my son is taking my picture with his son, something I could have never imagined back then.

Isn't life a trip.

I doubt there are many FZ fans here but if you are check out Zappa plays Zappa web site for a show near you. https://www.zappaplayszappa.com/tourdates.html

Watched him play the Frank Zappa turkey trot on Thanksgiving eve in Saint Paul, Mn in 74 & 75. Won't comment on what music enhancers we were on but I do remember the shows as fantastic!

There where many great concerts from that era (mid 70's)...the high school that I graduated from (Normandy High School) was nicknamed (Normally High
drag.gif
) during that time...JSNS

I love and miss Frank Zappa. Only saw him once in concert. It was at the Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh (which is a beautiful place to see a concert). He had an orchestra with him, and his back was to the audience most of the concert as he conducted the orchestra. It was freakin' awesome! That guy could play guitar.

I never did get the Zappa thing. Had a lot of buds that were into FZ though. He had quite a following it seemed. Guess I was too was busy with with the Railroad, Zep, and Tull in those days.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I never did get the Zappa thing. Had a lot of buds that were into FZ though. He had quite a following it seemed. Guess I was too was busy with with the Railroad, Zep, and Tull in those days.
Gary

darksider #44
Understood Gary, Grand Funk Railroad was my first concert. It was sold out but with low attendance a security cop let us in. Good times!

There was a lot of good music in those days, and some very good guitar players, but very few that I still listen to. Among the ones I still enjoy are Hendrix and Zappa.

Wow, haven't thought of Zappa's music in a while. Back in the late 70's early 80's he performed regularly in the Santa Barbara area. Saw Zappa and His Orchestra 3 or 4 times. I remember one occasion when durning a moment of absolute clairity, when all the lights and music came together and made complete sense.............yea, we stopped by Farmer John's pasture before the concert......anyway it was then that I realized that the man and his music was complex and tight, so tight, his lyrics were more than than the silliness of thier phrasing. The man was not just standing there waving his conductors baton around, he was up there "conducting" his Orchestra, conducting with this nonchalant yet deliberate intensity. I was glued in the whole set. Hell yea I'd do it all over again.

My Favorite: "Stinkfoot" cause The Crux of The Biscuit is The Apostrophe

I often had that conversation with my long time friend Nixon, a ridge back mix, i miss that Dog.

Thanks for the memories Bugnatr

To all:

Be Good, Be Safe........and for Christ sake, stay warm. If its Butt cold here in South Texas, its gotta be colder where you're at

Daniel

Damn, I just missed the Seattle date.

We used to see Frank at the Paladium in NY every year on Halloween back in the late 70's, early eighties. What a showman.

Love that Dweezil's keeping the faith.

I could never get into Zappa. He always reminded me of Weird Al Yankovic. His lyrics and actions were so ridiculous, I never knew if he was serious. Just not my thing I guess...

I could never get into Zappa. He always reminded me of Weird Al Yankovic. His lyrics and actions were so ridiculous, I never knew if he was serious. Just not my thing I guess...
You have to ignore the lyrics at first and just listen to the music.

You have to ignore the lyrics at first and just listen to the music.
I tried...I just couldn't get past the antics. Personal problem I guess...

And her name was...Magdalena!

Having grown up in L.A. in the 60s and 70s, I know exactly who he's referring to when he sings, "Eddie are you kidding!"

Last edited by a moderator: