Stiffy kit - is the boss

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graler

Reaction score
The evening started out innocently enough. I have a storage area above my garage. Over the years original packaging from computers, printers ... you name it has been stored. The products that the packaging contained are long gone. A mountain of boxes remains. Every year at Christmas time I look at those boxes. When the weather is cool / cold outside I am clearing that crap out. You see I live in Texas - that attic gets very hot in the summer - not the time of year to tackle that mountain. This is the time of year.

We started with garbage day two weeks ago. Several boxes were brought down and recycled. This would take several recycle days. Today was recycle day two. The bike is in the garage under the area that we are working. Most of the attic has plywood flooring on it so you can walk around. My son was working up front and changed his footing to get some leverage on a large box. I heard a little grunt then a bang. He was gone and there was magically more light in the attic. My son stepped off the plywood and put his weight on the sheet rock. My son was not in the attic any longer. He took the express route to the garage - fell 9 feet to the floor. Actually this is where the stiffy kit comes in. He landed on the back end of the motorcycle. So six or so feet to the motorcycle then to the floor.

No broken bones, no stitches - he will have one mighty large bruise on his left buttocks. There is a boy sized hole in the ceiling of the garage - I say boy but he is 6'2" and 190 lbs.

The bike did not fall over. The hard cases are free of scratches. He landed on the tail plate where i mount the pelican case (i can't believe that he didn't slice his leg open on that plate). The garage door was closed and no harm to it. The damage is contained to the passenger handle - that is broken on both sides where it meets the frame. Both the rear fender pieces are cracked. That stiffy kit saved the frame. My smuggler lost the plate across the bottom (rivets pulled out - I will need to noodle that fix a little). That is all I can see now. There might be some additional damage to the tail piece once I remove the plate for the pelican. Wish me luck. 

Very thankful I am not in the ER with waiting for stitches or a broken bone to be cast.

Joe 

Of all the ways to damage a motorcycle, this has got to rate as one of the most unique.  Glad the kid is ok. 

Nice to hear the bike held up but nicer to hear your boy was ok - could’ve been nastier

I took the parts off the bike today. right and left fender portions are cracked. Grab bar assembly is broken where it joins the bike both side. The tabs in the center plate above the tail light are all broken. The stiffy kit is a little tweaked - when I set it on the garage floor one leg lifts off the ground. The really sad part is the corbin smuggler - the retaining strip (metal strip on the bottom) has been pulled out. This is an un-replaceable part - Corbin doesn't make them anymore. Not sure how the insurance company is going to handle that. I build a spread sheet with part numbers and costs from Stadium Yamaha and included labor time to tear down and labor to re-assemble. It is a 2006 KBB trade in is 3200. I am afraid that the insurance company is gonna total it? What happens then?\

Joe

I am afraid that the insurance company is gonna total it? What happens then?
Something similar happened to me, i.e. minimal damage that totaled the bike. Mine was a 2004 and the insurance company totaled it and allowed me to buy it back from them. The difference in the value of the bike and the buy back cost went into my pocket for repairs. I don't remember the numbers but it covered the repairs to the body work and a few small parts. It might work out the same way for you.

I have the settlement from the insurance in hand. It was a fair deal. They did not total it.

Ref yr smuggler... 

The metal strip is held on by two large flange blind rivets. 

Drill out the rivets or whatever remains of them - you will have to slice into the lining to gain access to the rivet remains. 

Source yourself some 5mm or 3/16 SS 1 inch pan head Bolts and some small washers for the external and some large flange washers for the interior... Assemble with nylock nuts and you should be back in business... Might have to reinforce the box with some Alderite epoxy if it cracked. Hope that helps. 

Cheers 

Boyd Moody 

first time I heard the expression " like shit thru a goose" I was a kid working in an attic balancing on the trusses....

All is right with the world. One of the items damaged in my sons fall was the smuggler trunk. There is a steel plate that is riveted across the bottom - the ends of the plate catch the tabs under the passenger seat. This is what holds the back of the Smuggler down - the front is held by the rear seat latch.. I removed the rivets and bought some 3/16 stainless button head cap screws and nylok nuts and some washers. The .75 length was the perfect length to clamp everything back together. The smuggler is back on the bike. All of the plastics have been replaced and I am back in business. Funny thing - this mount feels much firmer than the riveted bar. I think when I rerouted some of the electrical I fixed another issue where the smuggler contact pads were sitting on wire and not the intended contact point.

Yolanda is ready to go now to pick some routes. 

Joe