Adding Cigarette Outlet to Gen 1 Glovebox

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuadX

Reaction score
I have a 2005 FJR and would like to add a cigarette power outlet to the glovebox like the Gen 2's have. What kit do you recommend for this project? Is there anyone on this forum that has done this and have any pics or guidance?

Is there anyone on this forum that has done this and have any pics or guidance?
While I thought about it I wonder if you want it to light actual cigarettes? If you're using it as a power outlet, I'd suggest a Powerlet instead. The connectors provide positive "click" connection instead of the friction only of a cigarette lighter as well as weather proofing and other placement options. Forum members have installed them many, many different ways.

+1 on the Powerlet option...much better for bike use. The Gen II glovebox lighter plug gets some vibration...enough to loosen a GPS/phone power plug, for example, over a couple of hours, BTDT. Powerlet clicks in. The Powerlet gives you the option to place it pretty much anywhere on the bike where you have a flat surface (dash panels) or mounting point (triple tree, area around seat lock).

Last edited by a moderator:
Powerlet is da mutz nutz...and you can get an adapter to convert to a cigarette lighter if needed [from Aerostitch catalog for one source]