Make your own Rediator Guard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art miller

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
This topic has likely been around a time or two. If you want to protect the radiator from stones and debris, you can make a guard from a mesh screen metal waste basket. For the best protection, get the steel mesh. I bought mine at Office Depot (black) oval shape for $19. Cut the screen to fit the area behind the plastic guard. The screen will fit nicely between the plastic guard and the radiator fins. You can attach it in front of the plastic guard as well. I've used this type screen on three FJR's and nary a problem. Much less $$'s than the after mkt. stuff.

I used the round wastebasket that Staples sells for $10.99. The mesh is pretty tight which gives great rock protection but it still flows enough air that the engine seems to be running at the same temperatures as before....even on a 100+ degree day.

Any pics and a bit more in depth instruction available? This is a great idea!
Escapefjrtist posted some pictures of mine after I was finished. I took the plastic guard off the bike and cut the mesh to cover the back side, then used dabs of contact cement and about 8 clamps to attach the mesh to the plastic guard, let it set overnight, and installed. Once its installed, there really isn't any place for the mesh to go even if it separates from the plastic guard. I thought the round wastebasket was better to use because it has a natural curve that is pretty close to the plastic guard.

The pictures are at the end of a GEN2 Radiator Guard Updrade thread or you can search for "guard" by Escapefjrtist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to belabour this topic, but everyone should protect the radiator with either a DIY or a vendor's product. I complement the forum members here who contributed to this topic.

icon_worthless.gif

+1. Made a low-cost (some say cheap) rad guard for the '05 from steel mesh and some alu angle pieces squeezed on for edging. A coat of flat black at it didn't stand out. Saved me from a probable rock hole.

I like the round can idea, will be copying this trick. Thanks.