ummm, me likey, a lot!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Ground is wet, and I'm jonesing for some 2 stroke moto. Now if I can only get Niehart to sponsor me. Pops, I'll need two of these, on a practice bike, the other the race bike.. :whistle:

a5ef0ff9-7544-45fd-a585-b1a56a5c10a1_zpsff9b7fca.jpg

2014 Service Honda 500AF

The legend continues with the new 2014 Service Honda 500 AF®. The Service Honda 500 AF® simply excels in all situations, off road or motocross. Effortless power and bottomless torque make this machine capable or clearing any motocross obstacle, exploding any berm or blasting though an off road sand wash at speeds that do not seem possible. The Service Honda 500 AF®, willing to prove its’ legend everyday.

The Service Honda 500AF® uses the 6th generation AF® chassis with further refined frame and suspension tuning to convert the power of the 500cc two stroke engine into forward thrust with the least amount of drama possible. The Service Honda 500 AF® offers our riders the insanity of nearly twice the torque of today's open class four stroke machines while also providing smooth power delivery. Good thing the chassis is capable of making all this power work for the rider.

The Service Honda 500 AF® is capable of winning races and installing a permanent smile anywhere.The Service Honda 500 AF® is a combination of 2 stroke power and grace.

Simple maintenance, proven durability, Service Honda quality,great chassisd, why would anyone want any other 500 class bike? (We don’t have the answer either!)

Join the 2 stroke revolution or get passed by it. Order your Service Honda 500 AF® today with your choice of numerous options including a lighting kit, cylinder porting, 96 db silencer, and suspension custom tuned to both the bike, rider and riding conditions. See our options page for the full spectrum of race components and first class modifications to fit your bike to your needs. This very special motorcycle is only $12,499 in the U.S.

New for 2014

• Reshaped works-style 240mm front brake rotor is 1.3 ounces lighter. Front disk guard is smaller, lighter and vented.
  • New 240mm rear brake rotor features works-style pattern and is 1.0 once lighter. New plastic disc guard saves 4 grams of weight.
  • New handgrip is 3mm longer.
Exclusive 500AF Features

• Bike can be custom built to your specifications prior to delivery.
  • The quality, reliability, fit, and finish you expect from Service Honda.
  • Slim design combined with minimal bodywork to emphasize the beautiful frame and powerful engine.
  • Custom suspension using the latest technology tuned, specifically for you and your riding style is available as an option.
  • Fourth generation twin spar aluminum frame and swingarm offers optimal balance of rigidity and strength for lighter, easier handling in widely varying riding conditions. The forged aluminum steering head and tapered downtube section are optimized for frame rigidity. Tall swingarm pivot plates and thin frame spars create a narrow overall frame cross section for superb rider comfort and maneuverability.
  • Frame is matched to rider ergonomics to maximize handling and control operation.
  • Semi-double cradle frame design features a single large diameter tapered down tube. Two rugged box section billet rails attach to the base of the downtube and support the powerful engine. A forged aluminum steering head provides a compact and extremely durable mount for the frame spars and engine downtube.
  • Compact damper attached to the lower triple clamp and the steering head allows more aggresive steering characteristics and assists in straight line stability. Damping action smoothly progresses as handlebar deflection increases, wich produces very natural steering characteristics and feel.
  • Front and rear wheels feature HRC works-type lightweight-aluminum spoke nipples.
  • Revised, sophisiticated INverted Twin-Chamber Cartridge Fork.
  • Front wheel features large-diameter front axel and wide wheel bearing span for excellent rigidity.
  • Large25 mm rear axel diameter and large diameter bearings provide significant rigidity.
  • Rrear shock with revised internal design and valving for better bump absorption.
  • Large 50mm diameter rear shock damper piston for consistent damping.
Unique Features

• Gas tank capacity is 1.9 gallons
  • Optional FMF Q-series or Pro Circuit 296 series silencer can meet current noise emission standards.
  • Easy access air filter.
Additional Features

• Billet aluminum airbox front plate and machined billet aluminum hinges offer ease of air-filter maintenance and a strong hinge area.
  • Washable two stage air filter for optimal engine protection and easy maintenance.
  • Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality fasteners.
  • Stainless steel clutch cable for long life.
  • Removable rear sub-frame allows easy maintenance.
  • Front disc brake cover helps protect rotor and caliper from damage.
  • Chain guide material offers improved wear resistance, and service life is 5 times greater thantraditional materials.
  • Quick-adjust clutch perch
  • Adjustable front brake lever.
  • Works-type handlebar grips add to rider comfort.
  • Handlebar holders provide +/- 3 mm for or aft position to match rider preference.
  • Aluminum Renthal handlebar (971 bend) is rubber-mounted to reduce rider fatigue and improve comfort.
  • Dunlop D742FA front and D756 rear tires for good traction and cornering.
  • Wide, cleated stainless steel footpegs are self-cleaning, resist corrosion, provide excellent grip and fold for extra ground clearance.
  • Rear brake pedal and shift lever are made of lightweight aluminum and are designed to complement the riding position. Brake pedal features optimized ratio to match integrated rear-brake master cylinder design.
  • “Non slip” seat cover for increased rider control.
  • Seat cushion uses foam construction that follows the shape of the fuel tank , providing a smooth transition to increase rider mobility and comfort
  • Rider ergonomics are optimized by adapting the handlebar, seat and footpeg height to place the riders legs at the narrowest cross-section of the frame for improved comfort and handling feel.
  • All plastic body components (radiator shroud, side covers, rear fender, seat base, fuel tank, front fender, and front number plate) are designed to offer the slim, aggressive styling and light weight.
125AF 2012 Specifications

ENGINE Engine Type 500cc liquid cooled single cylinder two stroke Bore and Stroke 89mm X 79mm Compression Ratio 6.8:1 Induction 8 pedal reed valve Carburetion 39mm PWK DRIVE TRAIN Transmission Close-ratio 5-speed Final Drive #520 chain; 14/48 CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES Front Suspension 48mm inverted Showa cartridge fork with rebound compression damping djustability; 12.2 inches of travel Rear Suspension Pro-Link® Showa single shock with spring preload, rebound-damping adjustability, and compression-damping adjustment separated into low speed and high speed positions; 12.5 inches travel. Front Brake Single 240mm disc with twin-piston caliper Rear Brake Single 240mm disc Front Tire: Dunlop 80/100-21 Rear Tire: Dunlop 100/90-19 DIMENSIONS Rake 27.2 degrees Trail 117 mm Wheelbase 58.6 inches Seat Height 37.6 inches Ground Clearance 12.8 inches Curb Weight pounds 216 Fuel Capacity 1.5 gallons OTHER Colors Red Model ID 500AF

Don - yer gonna put yer eye out with that! Which leads me to the question of . . .

. . . at what point do we decide that we're getting too old to physically handle the extreme demands of the sports of our youth? I'm asking this, not so much about your sport, but because the last couple days has found me asking that about mine. (And no, mine never involved 500cc two stroke torque monster motocross bikes.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don - yer gonna put yer eye out with that! Which leads me to the question of . . .

. . . at what point do we decide that we're getting too old to physically handle the extreme demands of the sports of our youth? I'm asking this, not so much about your sport, but because the last couple days has found me asking that about mine. (And no, mine never involved 500cc two stroke torque monster motocross bikes.)
You can always get mega-shaped skis and slow down to 85 mph. Lots less ibuprofen involved.

In an effort to stay on topic, I grew up in the middle of nowhere with no exposure to dirt bikes. We rode our 'stingray' and 10-speed bicycles through the woods, so probably would have loved some 125cc moto-action.

You can always get mega-shaped skis and slow down to 85 mph. Lots less ibuprofen involved.
I was considering whether a couple multi-day ski mountaineering trips I've always wanted to do are prudent to undertake anymore. It's not ok (or fair for anyone involved) for me to discover those limitations in the backcountry, so I need to realistically assess new limits.

Back on topic:

In an effort to stay on topic, I grew up in the middle of nowhere with no exposure to dirt bikes. We rode our 'stingray' and 10-speed bicycles through the woods, so probably would have loved some 125cc moto-action.
With my very limited dirt skills, a modern 500cc motocross bike, nevermind it being a 2 stroke, is downright laughable for me. Don's in a different league AND younger than me. So I can't speak for him, but if I'm gonna die riding something out of my league, I want it to be in bed, from a heart attack and with a smile on my face.

:p

My turn,

Needs a 7 gear,

seat not comfortable enough

Can I get it in screaming yellow

What is the cruise set at

Never mind, One sweet ride but I wish I was 20 years younger.

Dave

NOTHING is like a big bore two stroke MX'r. Here is mine. Not an AF.. but it is in nice shape and still a beast. My wife actually teared up the first time she was in the driveway when I fired it up. She said it sounds angry and dangerous. And it is. hahaha. Better be pointed in the right direction when you twist it.

KX500_4.jpg
[/url]

NOTHING is like a big bore two stroke MX'r. Here is mine. Not an AF.. but it is in nice shape and still a beast. My wife actually teared up the first time she was in the driveway when I fired it up. She said it sounds angry and dangerous. And it is. hahaha. Better be pointed in the right direction when you twist it.

KX500_4.jpg
[/url]
KX500! Raced one for 4 years, 1991 - 1995. It replaced my ATK with XR600 engine pumped up to be unreliable. Raced that KX at Turlock, Hanford, Tulare, Glen Helen. A bullet proof engine.. although I never fully sorted out the carburation. It would always ring-ding-ding when coming off throttle. Compared to the CR500 Honda of the time, the KX was tractable with better to the ground power delivery.

Yours looks beautiful.. Sold mine to to tweaker for cash money. He destroyed it before he left the ranch.. subframe, pipe, bars... and his backside was nicely rashed too.

I'm think more of a KTM Freeride 250R.
https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/12/04/2015-ktm-freeride-250r-motorcycle-review-first-ride-photos-specifications/

That bike would be a blast in the Little Belt Mountains in Montana.
Intriguing ride, there Pops. You get that one, then get me my 2 AF's, 'K?

I was considering whether a couple multi-day ski mountaineering trips I've always wanted to do are prudent to undertake anymore. It's not ok (or fair for anyone involved) for me to discover those limitations in the backcountry, so I need to realistically assess new limits.

Back on topic:

With my very limited dirt skills, a modern 500cc motocross bike, nevermind it being a 2 stroke, is downright laughable for me. Don's in a different league AND younger than me. So I can't speak for him, but if I'm gonna die riding something out of my league, I want it to be in bed, from a heart attack and with a smile on my face.

tongue.png
If it makes you feel better, only the frame and suspension is 'modern'.. The engine is still from the 90's!
lol2.gif

Que up 'All in the Family' theme song: 'and you knew who you were then, girls were girls and men were men...' 500cc 2 stroke, man's bike right there.

Looks like a fun ride Don! Since Pops is buying, put me down for one as well...
smile.png

My last open class smoker was an early 80s RM465, only 4 speeds but IIRC was a bad motor scooter!
punk.gif

--G

Many years ago I bought an old Honda CR480 to fix up and then flog around in the dirt. With the kick start lever on the wrong (left) side, that bike was a complete PITA to start. The compression was so high, even my 200 lbs jumping on my right leg (from off the bike) wouldn't do it when cold. I ended up stacking head gaskets just to lower the compression enough to get the thing to start easier.

This thing was a total beast. Big two smokes are fuuuun.

Picture_0215.jpg

Looks like a fun ride Don! Since Pops is buying, put me down for one as well...
smile.png
My last open class smoker was an early 80s RM465, only 4 speeds but IIRC was a bad motor scooter!
punk.gif

--G
The last big bore two stroke I owned was a 1980 Yamaha IT425 with a lot of factory owYZ425 parts. In truth, I was never able to ride that bike to it full potential but damn it was fun.

Service Honda claims these AF models are GREEN sticker OHV. If green sticker, it's possible to street-legal it in Kali? Think of big fat sticky race tires then going true hooligan with a CR500.. it boggles the mind.
punk.gif

Service Honda claims these AF models are GREEN sticker OHV. If green sticker, it's possible to street-legal it in Kali? Think of big fat sticky race tires then going true hooligan with a CR500.. it boggles the mind.
punk.gif
That's exactly what I thought of when I saw the AF pic, looked to me to be an updated CR500. I hear those front fenders work good as a temporary arm splint for "field repairs" until you get to the ER.
rolleyes.gif

punk.gif
Lighting kit is optional DC...what's holding you back?!?

--G