Introducing the most luxurious Sport Touring motorcycle: The 2021 Tracer 9 GT (???)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Flyer

DC Commuter Commando
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Just got an email from Yamaha touting the Tracer.....the hint of the end of the road for the FJR?

TURN UP YOUR JOURNEY

Featuring an all-new engine and premium sport touring features, the 2021 Tracer 9 GT has more power, versatility and luxury than ever before.

Time to Tour

All-New 890cc Engine

A completely redesigned 3-cylinder engine that provides more torque and more power. With outstanding acceleration and rapid overtaking, experience one of the most thrilling, capable and versatile Sport Touring motorcycles ever to take the streets.

New Lightweight Aluminum Frame

Lighter, more compact and better handling for ultimate versatility with excellent comfort. By repositioning the engine, experience improved balance, higher surface feedback and a greater feeling of front-end traction.

KYB Electronically Controlled Suspension

Electronically controlled KYB suspension that calculates the best suspension settings to generate steady damping force. This system contributes to stabilizing the motorcycle’s attitude when starting from a stop as well as stabilizing the chassis attitude when accelerating, braking and cornering for optimum handling performance in a variety of riding conditions.

Advanced Electronics

The newly developed 6-axis Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) and engine control unit (ECU) host three rider aids: Traction Control System, Slide Control System and the front-wheel LIFt control system along with a Brake Control System. All systems work together to help the rider concentrate to better extract the machine’s potential.

LED Cornering Lights

Working with the sophisticated light system, the IMU increases the brightness of the cornering lights as the banking angle increases – giving you clearer vision when riding at night.

MORE POWER, MORE VERSATILITY, MORE LUXURY

May be a hint but doesn't fill the niche any better than the "new" Venture does.

Smaller and lighter than the FJR, no shaft drive, less fairing protection, less power etc., but stuff that could be good in a new version of the FJR.

I would be interested in seeing something built around a larger version of that triple engine with a shaft drive and a few more touring amenities without trying to be a road sofa.  That would place it between the Tracer and the Venture and I don't know if there is sufficient market for that.  Time will tell...

The most luxurious touring bike isn’t a tracer or even an fjr. But the fjr is pretty close. I wouldn’t mind a tracer for a commuter. But it’s not what I need for an ICBM. 

Lots of nice technology on the Tracer. Maybe a hint of what's around the corner for a (revised) FJR? Hard to tell, but the future looks pretty bright.

~G

FJR certainly nicer looking, but the Tracer is pretty cool. I'll keep my feejmobile for now but agree with those who are waiting for these features to be incorporated into the NextGen FJR.

Can't wait for next season! Even thinking of trailering down to AZ for some winter riding.

I really like this bike but not as something I would ride cross country with.  To accomplish that it really needs more wind protection and a shaft drive.  More power would be better but could live with it if I had to I guess.

Ugly as f*ck, to my eye. But, to each his own.

I rode a buddy's FJ-09 a month or two ago. I couldn't believe how tall the saddle was. And normally, I think triples are pretty cool (my first bike was a '79 XS750 Special). I was prepared to be impressed with the FJ-09 motor, but it felt just OK. Nothing exciting, powerful, or stimulating, just "meh".

Yikes, definitely not my cup of tea. And what's with the urine sample on the handlebar? I find it hard to believe that 8h in the saddle here would be comfortable...