Won't stay in 4th gear - What should I do?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03silverbullet

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have invested a lot of money into it recently including new GP forks,Ohlins shock rebuild, and valve adjustment and I have it everything dialed in just right. However, now it won't stay in 4th gear. My local dealer suggested that I buy a new bike because its going to needs at least 4 gears and a shift fork. That and labor is going to cost around $2000.00. and I still have a bike with 270k miles on it. It runs great but what else may go wrong with it in the near future?

I have three options:

1 Looking around for a used Gen 1 and transfer all my farkles to it.

2 Look for a used used motor and have it installed.

3 Drop the motor go into the transmission and fix what ever is wrong with it and hope for the best.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Its a shame because the bike was running so good and I really wanted to hit 300k miles before I got a new one.

I still have a bike with 270k miles on it. It runs great but what else may go wrong with it in the near future?
The FJR is a great bikes that gives many trouble-free miles, but I'm of the camp that the cost of good used low-mileage specimens are reasonably priced...I'd swap at 270,000 myself. If you do go with Gen 1 again....aim for 20,000+ to preclude the tiny chance of a ticker.

In my case the '14 called though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to punt ....
smile.png

I hate to say it but option 1 is probably best. I didn't see any issues with your first gear last week when you popped that wheelie after our roadside chat.

PS - I swear my wife and I see you out riding more then anyone else we know. It is almost happening weekly lately. I guess that's why you have 270,000 miles
punk.gif

I personally would not put big money into a bike with 270,000 miles.

Buy a low mileage Gen 1, transfer your farkles and part out what is left.

If you decide to go with option 3, I can help you, neighbor. But still, that's around $500 in parts & stuff. I think I'd look around for a lower mile Gen 1 engine and do a transplant if I were in your situation.

Or, like RH said..fuck 4th; 4 stages of gear reduction are plenty.

Sorry to hear this Steve. I was hoping to see the 300k mark also. I think option one makes the most sense if your happy with the gen1 platform. if you choose to change the motor it really isn't all that bad just take your time and take lots of pictures. keep in mind that even with a low mile engine you still have 270k on the rest of it and other things could be waiting to bite your wallet.

If you want to move to a gen two or three then sell all the farkles and part out the hulk. The problem of parting it out is that once you sell a few parts the rest is scrap laying around your garage.

Part that sucker out! You could probably get half of what you need to buy another Gen 1 by selling bits and pieces like the fairings, rims, exhaust, etc. that you wouldn't otherwise transfer to your next bike.

Who needs 4th?

Starting gear.

Show off gear.

Angry gear.

Passing gear.

Cruising gear.

If you absolutely have to, just go from cruising to angry.

If you must, I say option 2. Keep the 300,000 bragging rights that are coming up soon.

... and I still have a bike with 270k miles on it.
Yeah, when I saw the title I was getting bummed but then I saw the miles.

It runs great but what else may go wrong with it in the near future?
How about 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th gears? Cylinders 1-4? Valves 1-16? I wouldn't tackle the motor unless you're just into those kind of quagmires.

All good things, brother!

Part that sucker out! You could probably get half of what you need to buy another Gen 1 by selling bits and pieces like the fairings, rims, exhaust, etc. that you wouldn't otherwise transfer to your next bike.
I agree. I made $4000 off my wrecked BMW RT with what was left of it. Used motorcycle parts is a lucrative business. Only pain in the ass is the boxing and shipping side of the equation.

Take time to find a great deal on a low miles Gen 1 (you may even find one all set up like yours and you can sell the farkles off the old bike). In the mean time, keep riding the current bike, skipping 4th gear 'till the 300K milestone, transfer the farkles if needs be and part out the old bike. There, I just repeated pretty much what everyone else said.

I hear you about the mileage goals. I had an '87 Mercedes 350SDL that had the 100K and 250K (miles) award badges proudly displayed on the grill and was planning on going for 500K, but around 350K, my $2000 car was needing $4000 worth of work sooo... I gave it to a friend who milked about another year out of it before it was not safe or reliable to drive any more.

Financially and pragmatically, option 1 is your best deal by far. There are many low to mid mileage 1st gens that could be bought for only about twice what it will cost to fix your old bike, and then you will have a low to mid mileage bike that will last you another 8-10 years. Keep the old girl for spares, if you have the space. Or part it out and finance a good portion (if not all) of the upgrade.

Now... if money was no object then you would just have to get a new ES. All the cool kids are doin' it! ;)

They really are the bomb diggety..