Won't stay in 4th gear - What should I do?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, you know you have to keep Tim's (TwoWheelNuts) FJR on the road.

Buy a good used engine for cheap money (my 5k, 08 gen2 was 1,200 to the door) and install it.

You've already fixed suspension, steering. Perhaps you need new rotors and pads soon. Cheap. Wheel bearings too.

Keep her alive!

Don

Buy a good used engine for cheap money (my 5k, 08 gen2 was 1,200 to the door) and install it.

You've already fixed suspension, steering. Perhaps you need new rotors and pads soon. Cheap. Wheel bearings too.

Keep her alive!

Don
The swap should take place at the Hondarosa so Tim can supervise.

Keep her alive!

Don
The swap should take place at the Hondarosa so Tim can supervise.
You ready to head south again, Ray? Bring the KZ home, I'll fund the fuel bill like Fairlaner did for me. Assuming of course, Steve wants to keep her going?

All good things come to an end. I'm sure Tim bought a new bike now and then...he would do the right thing, then flip you off if you questioned him.

Oh geeze. I did not realize that this was that bike. Certainly puts a different spin on the resurrection.
IMHO the only difference in spin is if Tim were funding it. And since he's elsewhere...

I say option 1, too. Heed the words a man gave me one time, "sentiment is fine until it significantly impacts the wallet. Don't be a dumbass".

I just did option 3 last summer when the star cam broke off of the shift drum. When I went in to replace the shift drum, found issues in the tranny, including 4th, which explained a lot of the false neutrals I was getting when going from 3rd to 4th. Got lucky with forumites holding parts from other motors and fixed it for the cost of a couple of tools, my time, and shipping of said parts from forumites. I basically replaced the transmission, both shafts.

At 270K, I'd say time to move on. But it's THAT bike. Find a motor.

Walt fixed his bike and has become a forum legend. I don't know if many of us would be capable or willing to go through that ordeal. He has certainly earned respect from many of us for doing it. I am first in line there

Yes, this bike has special meaning to some, but maybe not so much to the more pragmatic folks.

Still, tossing a newer engine into the old chassis may extend the legacy a bit longer, and if that makes you feel good what's the problem with that? It may be a bit like the old "Yankee axe" (the one where they've replaced the handle 5 times and the head twice, and it works good as new) but emotional attachments are not so trivial as some suppose them to be

After all, we do all of this motorcycle shit to make ourselves feel good. So if it does that I do not see the harm. Maybe it costs you a few shekels more in the long run. But if you get the desired result it may be worth the small added investment

And yeah... YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Used engine 800 bucks, 1 weekend! Do it 03SB!
03SB,

I would agree, your bike needs a heart transplant. If you want an upgrade, to maybe a 2008 bike or newer, then OK, but if you like the ride you have, it's probably worth a search for the good engine. It does not take much chassis damage to total out a Gen1, so you might pick up a nice engine with 350 pounds of good spare parts still attached, for cheap. Part out anything that you don't want, to help pay for the wrecked bike.

My $.02 worth.

Cheers,

Infrared

Keep her alive!

Don
Used engine 800 bucks, 1 weekend! Do it 03SB!

You know, I bet there is more than one forum member that would pitch in the price of a glass of whiskey to keep that bike running with a donor engine. I feel it coming.

I decided to buy a used motor and have it put installed at my local dealer Lebard Underwood. I think I got a good deal at $775 delivered. It has about 9500 miles on it.

I looked around for a nice used gen 1 one but all the good ones were recently sold. Funny some of the phrases people used to sell their bike like "adult owned". Really? Its not owned buy a kid? One guy said he "not going to give it away" while asking 6k for a 05 with 60k miles on it.

Dcarver, I really appreciate the offer, but I think with the logistics involved that it would be easier to have it done locally.

I have done so much work to it recently including suspension, steering head bearings, throttle cable, brakes, electronics and stuff that it sort of make sense to keep it. Plus, I get to keep the legend alive.

I appreciate all the comments and help given. You guys rock.

Heres to 300k and beyond.

What about that BMW?
winksmiley02.gif
I really like that RT. Not quite ready to pull the plug yet.

Eventually.

I decided to buy a used motor and have it put installed at my local dealer Lebard Underwood. I think I got a good deal at $775 delivered. It has about 9500 miles on it.
b49eeba0b7ea5a0f63eb4f9cfaf43439877766abc16b4fe9edc2ff2e08abc1e9.jpg

...as long as the dealership isn't bending you over on the price of a motor transplant. May I ask what they're getting for the job? What are they doing with the old motor?

Good luck!

I looked around for a nice used gen 1 one but all the good ones were recently sold. Funny some of the phrases people used to sell their bike like "adult owned". Really? Its not owned buy a kid? One guy said he "not going to give it away" while asking 6k for a 05 with 60k miles on it....
Umm, is the engine you bought a Gen II?

I looked around for a nice used gen 1 one but all the good ones were recently sold. Funny some of the phrases people used to sell their bike like "adult owned". Really? Its not owned buy a kid? One guy said he "not going to give it away" while asking 6k for a 05 with 60k miles on it....
Umm, is the engine you bought a Gen II?
No, the engine I bought was a gen 1, an 05.

I was referring to gen 1 bikes that were for sale.

Hopefully it is not an AE like James K ended up with. Not sure how that ever ended up. There a thread around here somewhere.

Dave