What's this wire do?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajBach

Reaction score
Doing a much needed tune up and headlamp upgrade. Found this loose wire under the fairing and wondered if it should be attached somewhere. Cannot see where it leads just yet. The bike has been apart at least twice while at dealers in the past.

wire_zpsh5dnp3xl.jpg

Prequel edit: That darn Iggy guy, spoiled my fun ;)

I was getting ready to tell him the wire is for the Self Destruct Connection like all good warp speed vessels have. You should see the look on the traffic control officer's face for the 0.00000001 seconds when he realizes that you just pushed the button to that wire and the ensuing consequence begins.

Or, it is a temperature sensor in spite of how it looks, like graler said.

Yet another one of those things in the New Owners Read This section.
Thanks for the replies, fellas. And Iggy, sorry for once again ruining your day with a reoccurring question. I contemplated for about a .3 of a micro second whether or not I should do a search for "what is this wire" or "loose wire" or "holy ****! I can't believe my bike didn't go kaboom" but I've never had much luck with the search engine here - and believe me, I have tried. And, since I didn't know what the wire is, I really couldn't search for the identification of and item I didn't already know - that could result in a universe-ending paradox! No? Well, at least facing two mirrors towards each other.

I did go to the link you posted and found it. My bad. It was one line buried in the 23 page document with no photos. Damn. I just cannot believe I didn't spend at least my morning searching for that rather than post a question on something that - as of now - has been asked 1001 times.

*Tail between my legs*

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies, fellas. And Iggy, sorry for once again ruining your day with a reoccurring question. I contemplated for about a .3 of a micro second whether or not I should do a search for "what is this wire" or "loose wire" or "holy ****! I can't believe my bike didn't go kaboom" but I've never had much luck with the search engine here - and believe me, I have tried. And, since I didn't know what the wire is, I really couldn't search for the identification of and item I didn't already know - that could result in a universe-ending paradox! No? Well, at least facing two mirrors towards each other.

I did go to the link you posted and found it. My bad. It was one line buried in the 23 page document with no photos. Damn. I just cannot believe I didn't spend at least my morning searching for that rather than post a question on something that - as of now - has been asked 1001 times.

*Tail between my legs*
I've been chastised for not doing my search before asking the forum, and as well I have been stymied by poor "search output!". Iggy pointed out the little pale gear like thing to the right of the search window, which my old eyes thought was part of the clouds in the background? When using that option I have had more success. I was born in Vancouver, lived there most of my life. Boy do I like retired living in the Okanagan! Take care.

Boy do I like retired living in the Okanagan! Take care.
I'm leading a group of guys up into the Okanagan this summer. These guys have lived in North Dakota, Montana and Washington for near 50 years and had never been in Canada until I took them to Jasper/Banff last summer. Please PM me with any must see sights or roads to ride in the Okanagan.

*Tail between my legs*
No harm, no foul.

I do not see what the big deal is.

If you have a question ask it.

Man, I was hoping someone was going to give the smart ass remark that it conducts electricity... I guess I just did.
smile.png

But, not sure what you would have searched for if you don't know what it is in the first place. I don't know what I don't know....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts