2016 Big Money Rally - It's on!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All right already - I'm in. I was gonna try for a practice bonii today but decided against. Now that I've signed up for some kind of motorcycle rally Mother Nature has now decided to start with an extended wet forecast - maybe the first one in two years here in Cali. I'm usually a good contrarian indicator for things like stock picking and the weather....

All right already - I'm in. I was gonna try for a practice bonii today but decided against. Now that I've signed up for some kind of motorcycle rally Mother Nature has now decided to start with an extended wet forecast - maybe the first one in two years here in Cali. I'm usually a good contrarian indicator for things like stock picking and the weather....
Woo hooooooo!! Glad to have you in the mix, Russ!!
punk.gif
Feel free to ask any questions... maybe we can hunt a few bonuses together!
bike.gif

Not to worry russperry. The BMR lasts until the end of May. If you haven't done this before, they are not kidding on two points:

(1) Fill the frame with the bonus, and

(2) Picture match needs to match: angle, composition, and distance from subject.

If you want to practice, start riding your FJR up a bunch of pedestrian ramps and along the sidewalk. <---- Not a joke.

Good Luck, sir, because I am out to score Gold this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to worry russperry. The BMR lasts until the end of May. If you haven't done this before, they are not kidding on two points:
(1) Fill the frame with the bonus, and

(2) Picture match needs to match: angle, composition, and distance from subject.

If you want to practice, start riding your FJR up a bunch of pedestrian ramps and along the sidewalk. <---- Not a joke.

Good Luck, sir, because I am out to score Gold this year.
First of probably a long list of questions that will come to mind:

In the samples shown there are in some cases only a slight portion of the contestant's vehicle in the image, like sometimes only a glimpse of front wheel and fairing - is that all OK? I would presume that having more of the bike in the photo would be worth more in the scoring.

And I can see where the mirror trick will frequently come in handy....

In the samples shown there are in some cases only a slight portion of the contestant's vehicle in the image, like sometimes only a glimpse of front wheel and fairing - is that all OK? I would presume that having more of the bike in the photo would be worth more in the scoring.
And I can see where the mirror trick will frequently come in handy....
You only need to have some portion of your bike showing to prove you were there on the bike... no additional points for having the entire bike in the shot. But be sure to have enough of the bike in the photo to know it's the bike... I zoomed in on one shot that barely showed a portion of the windshield with the placard covering most of it and I didn't get the points because you couldn't really see it was the bike.
wink.png

russperry posted: <snipped> In the samples shown there are in some cases only a slight portion of the contestant's vehicle in the image, like sometimes only a glimpse of front wheel and fairing - is that all OK?
The scorers learn to recognize your bike, I suppose, because you don't need much of it in the photo. Or maybe they just liked me more than they liked Tyler. But the truth is, if you work hard at composing a good photo, the scorers will cut you slack -- as long as the bonus fills the frame.

I got my placard laminated, then punched four holes in it and ran elastic loops through the holes so I could hang the placard on my windshield or stretch the elastic between the mirror and clutch/brake lever. The bottom elastic occasionally was needed to keep the placard from blowing in the wind.

Big clips are handy, too, so you can attach the placard to the bonus object.

A half-size placard can be wedged between the fingers of your gloves and placed on flat surfaces.

Look through the practice photos for ideas about how to get your placard and bike into the photo, but there's no substitute for parking on the sidewalk immediately adjacent to the bonus. Fills the frame and the bike's automatically in the pic.

Uncle Hud's advice has touched on it, but one point is worth bringing up again. If I could give a newbie any advice, look at, and understand why the photos on Page 4 of the bonus listing are so good. I am one of the scorers, and the top issue I see year after year from new riders is that they try too hard to put their bike and placard in the foreground, instead of the bonus. The bike can be way in the background, as long as the scorer can actually tell it's a bike.

I posted something similar to this in the thread about computer solutions to the Traveling Salesman problem. If you don't know, the Traveling Salesman problem is about finding the "least miles" route that connects various given destinations. It's analogous to rally route planning.

==================================================================================

Uncle Hud posted: <snipped> I have my own method, based on a strategy Ignacio reveals elsewhere on this site -- or maybe his blog .....
.... and, after much searching, here is Ignacio's version.

My version, with acknowledgements to Iggy and Jim Owen:

1) This year, the BMR issued pre-packaged GPX and CSV files of the bonus locations. I use Excel to manipulate and trim the CSV files to bonus locations within my riding range before loading them into Google Maps.

2) Each category of bonus is a separate layer on Google Maps, and each layer has a distinct color/shape. This becomes important as you start to plan a route and need to place an emphasis on the high-point locations.

3) This year, the BMR has time-limited bonus locations, too, so they have their own layer/color/shape.

4a) Look at the map and select a collection of high-value locations that are geographically close. Using Google's routing algorithm, start at your home and, one by one, add those high-value locations. If a low-value location ends up within a few miles of the high-value route, add it.

4b) After you add each location, check the Google Maps estimate for total miles and travel time on the route. KNOW YOUR LIMITS, and add at least 15 minutes per bonus stop to take the picture and email it. I also add 30 minutes per 200 miles for gas stops, bathroom, coffee, checking the weather, etc.

5) Now comes the artistic part of route planning: How close is that low-value bonus? You need to understand that stopping for the bonus photo will cost you at least 10 minutes. Add those 10 minutes to the extra travel time needed to get there, and you begin to evaluate whether it's worth 40 minutes and a gallon of gas to bag a 0.76-point bonus.

6) In the past, I built a small spreadsheet with latitude, longitude, bonus code, bonus name, and miles/minutes/ETA from this location to the next location. The last elements are for QC control. If it looks weird, check the Lat/Lon in the paper Bonus Listing that you are carrying in the topbox. (<---- Important.) If you're running behind schedule, you can decide which locations to drop.

7) It really helps to know when the sun sets on each day, because the temps will drop, sometimes quickly and sometimes sharply.

8) This year, I'll probably still use a printed spreadsheet to keep the time windows clipped to my FJR dashboard. For example, I think I'll try to bag both the NC and AL Bubbler Center bonii. They're about 8 hours apart in travel time, and the time windows are about 8 hours apart. If I get significantly off schedule, it would be nice to realize that before riding an extra 2 hours and arriving too late.

9) KNOW YOUR LIMITS! Go beyond them, and -- at the very least -- you will experience Hud's Four Elements of Outdoor Discomfort: cold, wet, hungry, and tired.

Actually, wheatie, it's a gas! You solve a traveling salesman puzzle, then ride to lots of places, over roads you'd never ride on otherwise, and -- this year -- there are timed bonus locations that will cause me to meet other BMR riders. Oh yeah, it's a great excuse to ride on sidewalks.

Also helps young pups like me fill in my "visited states" map.

^^^^^^^^ Hubba, Hubba, girl! Which timed bonii are you hitting?

(Channeling beemedons.)

GREAT safety video, Tyler! An amazing piece of moto-knowledge, and you deserve beaucoup credit for finding it.

Evel Knievel has inspired me. When's the BMR adding a JB bonus category? "Jump Big", with points allocated for the number of buses underneath?
uhoh.gif

===================================================================================================================

The Atlanta Posse has scheduled our first meeting: Forsyth County Jail, January 1, 0300 Eastern (0000 RenoTime). Be there or be square.

Missed the Double Bubble of NC and AL due to snow/ice, and the guarantee that I would be heading back after dark, into the forecast for sleet/snow, and looking for ice on Interstate bridges. Congrats to those that made the palindromic Double Bubble: LA & AL.

I am totally pumped right now. When i look at the leader page of the BMR my name shows up on the same screen as Kurt Worden - yes, he of the IBR Ninja 250 fame. If that's the way it looks by the end I'll call it a fantastic finish! (Too bad we're both so far down the list). But I'm thinking that Silver is about as far as i can expect to get in this thing - bonus points seem to be more sparse with a lot more miles to travel for big points out west, specifically the state centers, than in some of the eastern parts of the country....

By the way Tyler - it looks like you're going to miss Madera on the 13th with the intersection of the Death Valley trip. I was hoping we would get out team photo taken care of there
calm.gif

I am totally pumped right now. When i look at the leader page of the BMR my name shows up on the same screen as Kurt Worden - yes, he of the IBR Ninja 250 fame. If that's the way it looks by the end I'll call it a fantastic finish! (Too bad we're both so far down the list). But I'm thinking that Silver is about as far as i can expect to get in this thing - bonus points seem to be more sparse with a lot more miles to travel for big points out west, specifically the state centers, than in some of the eastern parts of the country....
By the way Tyler - it looks like you're going to miss Madera on the 13th with the intersection of the Death Valley trip. I was hoping we would get out team photo taken care of there
calm.gif
They usually come out with a couple of additional themes mid-way so there may be more for you to get... ;)

And yeah, I was bummed that the Madera bonus was on the same weekend as DV... should be a lot of folks out that way so you'll get some team photos with other folks! B)

Did you see me in the "most points for the past 48 hours" list this past weekend? Collected a 10-point State Center bonus during a 900-mile weekend that should have garnered about 60 points. Met three other BMR gentlemen, including an Atlanta-area rider who did well last year. (I always grab as many of Tyler's locations as I can, because they take you to strange places. OK, maybe I collect them solely because they're Tyler's bonus locations.)

And I lost a handful of bonii due to two crap-quality photos and a bad bonus code. And I lost two 3-fer ZC bonii: (1) some punk-ass vandal scraped the name "Alcolu" off the post office window, and (2) the Postmaster General apparently doesn't believe Loganville needs the zip code displayed on their post office building. (Loganville was my fault: couldn't confirm the signage through Google Street View, but rode there anyway.)