Rider Down - Kim Maio on 12/10; Please Help Her Out!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, she might have been hurt worse on 2 wheels, who knows...

The idiots are out there and we can't control them.

It's up to us to avoid them....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think pretty much everyone goes through that so she will be in good company.
wink.png
Amen Tyler, 2.5 months and I am still changing my mind 10 times a day. Sold some of my gear last week, looking at Ducati Diavels today.

Praying for you Kim.

I think pretty much everyone goes through that so she will be in good company.
wink.png
Amen Tyler, 2.5 months and I am still changing my mind 10 times a day. Sold some of my gear last week, looking at Ducati Diavels today.
It was close to a year when I finally made the decision to buy the Spyder... 2-wheels just isn't an option for me anymore for a myriad of reasons but I knew I wanted to continue the adventure of riding somehow. Some folks decide otherwise and find a way to get their jollies like in a sports car, etc. It's such a personal decision for so many reasons and I honor anyone's choice one way or the other. When I went to test drive the Spyder, I came home with a brochure and my daughter saw it on the table. She looked at me and said, "What's going on?" So I told her... she was affected by the accident as much as me in different ways and I asked her if she would be okay if I started riding again via the Spyder and explained the pros of 3-wheels. She just looked at me and said, "You should do what makes you happy because life is short." Damn if I don't have a kick ass daughter! ;)

Update from Kim at rehab: Wow first night in new place and actually slept through the night!!!!! Im liking this place , brand new room and it's beautiful and big!!!! The only rule is not to try to get out of bed without assistance. The visitor hours r 24/7. So lets get this recovery started!!!!!

Update: Kim is doing fairly well except for the fact that she hit her broken hand on the side of the bed @ rehab, yesterday. I watched her roll around on her bed in excruciating pain. She's becoming very bored & depressed sitting in her bed all day. Any suggestions for things she can do that requires very little (as in hardly none) motion? I've already covered reading & a 12' HDMI cable so she can watch Netflix & dvd's from her laptop.

Update: Kim is doing fairly well except for the fact that she hit her broken hand on the side of the bed @ rehab, yesterday. I watched her roll around on her bed in excruciating pain. She's becoming very bored & depressed sitting in her bed all day. Any suggestions for things she can do that requires very little (as in hardly none) motion? I've already covered reading & a 12' HDMI cable so she can watch Netflix & dvd's from her laptop
What are her interests? intellectual pursuits? This might be the time to write that poem or decipher that algorithm, or, even better, plan a vacation.

I really don't know... I'm sure that she'd be good planning a vacation... but that is what... a couple of hour endeavor? lol!

Update: Kim is doing well. She's getting around in her wheel chair decently. The other day she went to the bathroom by herself. As mundane as that sounds, it's a big deal & a good step in the right direction. She has asked me to write thanks to all who have given your support. It is so greatly appreciated.

Just saw this....and while my wife and I haven't met most of you, our prayers go out to Kim.

Question, did Kim have a concussion also?

Reading through this, glad to hear she is on the mend. It not only takes time, but a good attitude and perseverance. (Supportive friends help a lot too!)

I understand how difficult it can be, over 2 years for me, and still recovering and hoping on ride again.

Keep up the great work Kim, and wishes for a fast mend! (I know, never fast enough).

The other day she went to the bathroom by herself. As mundane as that sounds, it's a big deal & a good step in the right direction.
When you have been stripped of being able to do the simplest of tasks for taking care of yourself, the ability to go to the bathroom and wipe your own butt is huge... I totally understand that so tell her to celebrate being able to wipe her own butt! :lol:

I haven't seen anyone make this connection yet, so I will. Note who it was that started this thread. The guy who raised the call here was also the first here to donate, and I know of several other examples of his contributing money on behalf of riders. And I think we're all aware of his well-known generosity in lodging and "loaner" bikes for most anybody passing through Phoenix.

I don't know Kim--I guess she's not on this forum--but she's still one of us, and she's only a small way toward the goal after more over two weeks. So here's what I'd love to see: let's help her out in Don's memory, as obituaries often have something like "in lieu of flowers, please donate to . . . " It's pretty easy, too.

What do you say, Forum?

Maybe you could provide an address where direct support could be directed. Some of us old guys aren't so interested in sending money via "gofundme." But we might be willing to make a donation nevertheless. I looked at the link, but did not donate because of my aversion to / lack of trust in internet based schemes that move money.

Question, did Kim have a concussion also?
no, although her helmet was scuffed heavily. No head trauma.

I haven't seen anyone make this connection yet, so I will. Note who it was that started this thread. The guy who raised the call here was also the first here to donate, and I know of several other examples of his contributing money on behalf of riders. And I think we're all aware of his well-known generosity in lodging and "loaner" bikes for most anybody passing through Phoenix.
I don't know Kim--I guess she's not on this forum--but she's still one of us, and she's only a small way toward the goal after more over two weeks. So here's what I'd love to see: let's help her out in Don's memory, as obituaries often have something like "in lieu of flowers, please donate to . . . " It's pretty easy, too.

What do you say, Forum?
Much agreed Mike. I'm so going to miss Don here on this forum. I am not sure what you'd say "in lieu of"

Maybe you could provide an address where direct support could be directed. Some of us old guys aren't so interested in sending money via "gofundme." But we might be willing to make a donation nevertheless. I looked at the link, but did not donate because of my aversion to / lack of trust in internet based schemes that move money.
I suppose that an address could be supplied by request. I do not want to put her address out here in public. I'm sure that she wouldn't appreciate that. lol! I made a donation offline, also & feel very much as you do about online transactions.

I have seen instances in the past where donations could be sent to the financial institution where a special account has been set up to accept such donations. No personal contact info that way. Just a thought.

I could use a ride, also. I was hoping to take off the entirety of this week (which I did not because of workload) & go riding. I would've been headed to the hills, though. If you make it down, do let me know, Heidi