Dyna Bead Issue?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitbox

Reaction score
I've had balance beads in my tires for the last three sets and had no issues, but now I think they might not be doing such a great job.

I rode another FJR with weights on the wheels and it was smooth as silk over 70 MPH. I put my tires with beads in them on that same bike and now it has vibrations at those speeds. It may be the tires themselves but I'm thinking that more likely the beads aren't effective at higher speeds. The bummer is that the only way to test that theory is to remove the beads and then static balance the wheels.

Is there an easy way to remove the beads without removing the whole tire?

Sure. This one.

The other option...you might not have to remove the whole tire, but unless you'd still have to take the wheel off, use your side stand as a bead breaker, and fish them out in a tight space, and then re pressurize the tire.

Color me as one of those skeptical of beads and that static weights are the best, easiest, and cheap balancing option to begin with....having spent many hours on end at FJRnominal speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be the tires themselves but I'm thinking that more likely the beads aren't effective at higher speeds. The bummer is that the only way to test that theory is to remove the beads and then static balance the wheels.
Fixed it for you above.

Break the bead and use a shop vac to suck them out.

Not all tires are all that imbalanced. Many folks don't even bother balancing them, especially the rears. But when you come across one that is, or a situation where the tire's imbalance lines up with the wheel's, that is when you really need balancing weight, and when the beads show that they are snake oil.

I had an improperly attached wheel weight that threw itself off. You know how I found out about it? Yeah, I accelerated to 90mph and I was going WTF is wrong with this tire?

Yeah...even an improperly balanced wheel can be good to 70-90mph....so beads ain't the deal for me. I've had silky smooth rides at 155 mph indicated.

I've had silky smooth rides at 155 mph indicated.
That's because you're a Hooligan
punk.gif

Now, back to the issues with the Dyna beads...

Its the beads.

Had the same experience. My tire guy thinks perhaps there is something sticky inside some tires that stops the beads from doing their thing properly. Not mounting lube, he is careful about that.

Break the bead and use a vacuum to remove the beads. If anal, use a new bag and you can weight the beads you remove to confirm you have them all, or most.

While your there, install metal valve stems of your choice, if not done already.

-Steve

I see another suggestion to use a vacuum already posted

Tires only need to be balanced if you go approximately 70 mph or more to cure the bouncing tire effect, Below 70 mph your tire won't bounce down the road unless you have a very extreme out of balance condition like a brick
rolleyes.gif
attached to it.

So, beads work great up to 70 mph, or no beads or no balancing at all, work great up to to 70 mph. Save your money, don't buy beads.

DAMHIK

I've ran balancing beads several times without issue. I didn't have any in stock when I installed my rear tire. Now I have a vibration. One thing to note, different brand beads are different sizes. The smaller the beads, the better the balance has been my findings.

Thanks guys. You have confirmed what I suspected. I'll ditch the beads.

And to think I just had these wheels and tires off. Sheesh.

When I did the tire change on my '04, the back tire hopped some at higher speeds, but it was because I didn't add enough, I spilled some when trying to put them in. I ordered more and went back and added 2 oz more and it smoothed things out perfectly for me, including well into the triple digits. I want to say it was 4 oz. total for the back tire all said and done. Just a thought, might just work for you.

Well a couple of weeks ago we did a very spirited ride down into the box of central Oregon. One of the guys that went with us was on a gen 1 and was running PR3's. He complained about the front end shaking at high speeds. At the tech day last weekend, I dismounted the front tire and took out the beads. Mounted it back up and used the good ol fashion static tire balancer and some stick on weights. What do you know, problem fixed.

Interesting to see how some think beads are snake oil and others find they work well. I have been using dyna beads in front tires on three FJR's and a BMW. Never have i had a balance issue at any speed up to 120mph. I grant you, when passing a string of vehicles and going 120mph I was not thinking about wheel balance. As i recall, no vibration noticed!

Perhaps the interior of the tire is an issue. I have always run PR2's on the FJR's and Metzler's on the BMW. Reason for going to beads is to eliminate the unsightly weights. So far they work for me and until they fail I will motor on with dyne beads.

As I have said before, if dyna beads were the bees knees, you would see them used in MotoGP or other racing venues. They don't use them because good 'ol static balancing is still the best method for accurate dependable tire balancing.

I wont put the beads in any tire I change for people because they do have a track record of causing problems.

As I have said before, if dyna beads were the bees knees, you would see them used in MotoGP or other racing venues. They don't use them because good 'ol static balancing is still the best method for accurate dependable tire balancing.
I wont put the beads in any tire I change for people because they do have a track record of causing problems.
Stop interjecting logic into others fantasies. Spoil sport!
sheep.gif

Interesting to see how some think beads are snake oil and others find they work well. I have been using dyna beads in front tires on three FJR's and a BMW. Never have i had a balance issue at any speed up to 120mph. I grant you, when passing a string of vehicles and going 120mph I was not thinking about wheel balance. As i recall, no vibration noticed!
Perhaps the interior of the tire is an issue. I have always run PR2's on the FJR's and Metzler's on the BMW. Reason for going to beads is to eliminate the unsightly weights. So far they work for me and until they fail I will motor on with dyne beads.
Maybe my tires were perfect to begin with but Counteract beads don't hinder them any. Triple digits are seen occasionally.

https://www.counteractbalancing.com/#/motorcycle/