dropped my new fjr!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I feel your pain!!!! I dropped my this weekend getting on. Had it packed for a weekend of riding and camping in central oregon. Top heavy and over it went. Right mirror scrapped and a couple of dings at the top of the fairing. Canyon cages saved the rest. Ordering a new mirror and I may do a little pin stripe work on the right cowling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since my drop I have put canyon cage tipover bars on the back and frame sliders on the front. Later this summer I would like to add the canyon cage front bars.

Photo assist:

101_77304359f.jpg

Here's my dropped FJR story. I came to a stop sign with my wife on the back. The pavement was very uneven and my right foot touched the road about 4 inches lower than my left foot. And for whatever reason my wife decided to lean over my shoulder to the same right side. We leaned over just enough where I couldn't hold it and we went over in slow motion. I lucked out a little considering I didn't have sliders. I broke the mirror and scraped up the blinker lens and scuffed up the fairing and saddlebag. The mirror and lens were easy to replace and I did the painting on the fairing and saddlebag myself. It wasn't perfect but I don't even think about it anymore. Nine years later I just ride the crap out it and rinse it off a couple times a year. I never dropped it again and it still looks good.

Despite what uncle hud thinks, the kick stand sucks. after decades of riding different brands, putting the kick stand down is like breathing. Not something that requires thought. You can search other non FJR forums and never see anything about kick stands. Just in this thread there are a dozen people who have dropped their bike or have rituals they follow to keep it from happening.

rhun, I agree, especially since my drop I am very careful with the kickstand I feel it could definitely be improved. I feel it needs to go foreward a little more and lock more securely in place. Beefier possibly also. My stratoliner kickstand goes way foreward and there is no doubt it is deployed and secure.

I follow a basic ritual. At my age, I always lower the side stand prior to dismounting. I lower it and kick it forward to ensure it is at the forward stop. I hold the front brake to prevent any movement of the bike as I dismount. I lower it on to the stand, dismount and then almost always proceed to put it on the center stand only releasing the front brake as I hoist it up on the C-stand.

Dan

To the OP, I sense that you have over come, both literally and metaphorically. And to the latter, I applaud you. Shit man, it just ain't worth it. Look at all of the riding you've missed. Give your crap to State Farm and they will pay. I'm sure you've got a scraped knuckle or two, but let's not mince words - you're back in the wind!!!! How much is that worth?

Ride on, brother. Ride on, indeed.....

They paid, I fixed. Love my fjr. Best all around bike I have ever had. I have had faster, louder, heavier, whatever but this bike is the best all around bike for me. A couple more farkles to go and I will be set.

Glad to hear it's all fixed up. I dropped my '17 in the garage just two months after buying it. I guess I didn't get the side stand all the way set. I had put the t-rex cages on it, so I just had a small mark on the cage to touch up.

(This story is repeated elsewhere, so stop me if you've already heard it.)

I watched IBR riders come in to the checkpoint at Johnson City in 2015. The official checker-inner said this, very quietly, to each rider: "Is your kickstand down? Is it ALL THE WAY down?"

From that moment, I've always looked at my sidestand whenever I lower it.

And, for the record ... I dropped mine in traffic when I needed to get something out of my armored pants pocket. I threw down the sidestand at a red light and watched; it went all the way down. I dismounted, then realized we were on a downhill slope that was steep enough for the FJR to creep forward and retract the sidestand all on her own.

The guy in front watched it happen in his mirror, and jumped out to help me get her picked up. We did, and everybody was ready to go when the light turned green.

Embarrassing. (Since I do not have crash bars, she didn't roll over and break my mirror stays.)

Danny, little chuckle when I read that. But it is absolutely not funny when you are looking at one bike laying on the other one!
weirdsmiley.gif
Luckily I just got some scuffs on the fender of my stratoliner. Sounds like you did a bit more.