Purchasing 2006 In Ca

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iugradmark

Reaction score
As I understand it, folks in CA cannot license new bikes purchased out of state. All of the references to dealer pricing seems to be from outside the area. Any recommendations for a CA dealer that is cost competitive. Would prefer one in Northern CA, but am willing to go anywhere in the state for the right price.

Welcome aboard NFG!!!

Two of the best are the Yammie dealer in Quincy, search the Yammie site for the name, and Southbay Motorsports in Socal. Also J&J in Santa Rosa "may " be competitive ( they helped sponsor the WFO2 rally in 2003 ).

Buy the YES warranty from D&H Cycle in AL. It's under $400 from them. Also Sunnyside in WA has YES at a low cost also.

i'm not sure about the fjr, it says to call. but for most other yamaha's, these guys have the best ca otd price i've seen. it might be worth a call. i do know several guys who have bought from them and were completely satisfied. they're right by LAX, just pick up and ride back. :D

https://www.losangelesyamaha.com/yamaha.htm

iugradmark,

You may want to contact Montclair Yamaha, in Southern California, if you don't mind going that far. They gave me a great price on my FJR this year. Their price was $2,700 lower than either of the two dealerships where I live in the Central Valley were willing to go. I went to several dealerships from the Bay Area to Southern California during the PDP window and they were by far the best-priced and easiest to work with. If you contact them, try asking for Mike. He's non-commission and was really great to work with. He kept me posted on developments through the PDP process with occasional brief phone calls and went "above and beyond" several times for me.

Best of luck.

I have bought several bikes from

Most have been great. The last one was my FJR and they screwed up the PDP, sales paperwork and the YES contract. It ultimately was all fixed. See previous thread about my problem.

Prices are the best in SoCal. Just keep up on the sales guy and follow up on the paperwork.

I am sure there must be a good dealer up north.

Hey, all you NorCal guys!!! Speak up! :clap:

Got my '05 at LA Yamaha. Price was decent but not as good as some I read about around the country. You can buy out of state but then you are supposed to have 7500 miles on it before you can register it in CA. CA wants your money, you may even get around the mileage.

Hey all, new to the site as of tonight. I recently got a quote from Mach1MotorSports in Vallejo Ca. of $15300 OTD that is retail plus $200 freight and $200 setup. When I first mailed the dealership they tried to discourage me by saying they could'nt give me a good price because of the cost of delivery? I didn't know if they meant freight or getting me the bike. I only live 20 miles from them. In the first mail they also tried to sway me to deal with my local dealer which is 10 miles from me so I wrote back and said I had chose them because of good things I had heard about their service department and sales staff which I have. Is corperate Yamaha trying to get their dealers to disuade buyers from out of town? After I told them how much I liked them that's when I got the quote right back. There's something going on here that needs to be looked into. I had mailed two other dealers just for the heck of it and got no response back at all. What's up with this? Sounds like Highlander said, "bend over" boys. I have'nt bought a bike in many years, and this is not starting to lood good. Painman.

The Quincy dealer will give you the best NorCal price. You might be able to use that as leverage with your local dealer, however , some have ben told by the local dealer that it will cause service/warranty isues if not purchased from them.

I think the Quincy dealer is owned by the LA Honda/Yamaha group. It would be worth a phone call, yes?

Got my '05 at LA Yamaha. Price was decent but not as good as some I read about around the country. You can buy out of state but then you are supposed to have 7500 miles on it before you can register it in CA. CA wants your money, you may even get around the mileage.
Has anyone had any luck in buying out of state and licensing in CA before the magic 7,500 mile mark or has anyone even tried? It is very frustrating to think that I will have to pay thousands more.

Hey all, new to the site as of tonight. I recently got a quote from Mach1MotorSports in Vallejo Ca. of $15300 OTD that is retail plus $200 freight and $200 setup. When I first mailed the dealership they tried to discourage me by saying they could'nt give me a good price because of the cost of delivery? I didn't know if they meant freight or getting me the bike. I only live 20 miles from them. In the first mail they also tried to sway me to deal with my local dealer which is 10 miles from me so I wrote back and said I had chose them because of good things I had heard about their service department and sales staff which I have. Is corperate Yamaha trying to get their dealers to disuade buyers from out of town? After I told them how much I liked them that's when I got the quote right back. There's something going on here that needs to be looked into. I had mailed two other dealers just for the heck of it and got no response back at all. What's up with this? Sounds like Highlander said, "bend over" boys. I have'nt bought a bike in many years, and this is not starting to lood good. Painman.
Twenty miles from Mach 1? So am I. I'm in Napa, and you?

You might try Jeff at Yamaha of Napa and see what he will do. Tell him Jeff from Sportbike Effects said to call. Closed on Mondays.

Jeff Monroy 707-254-7432

[email protected]

Has anyone had any luck in buying out of state and licensing in CA before the magic 7,500 mile mark or has anyone even tried? It is very frustrating to think that I will have to pay thousands more.
Only option is buying and registering out of state at a relatives house, and re registering after 7500 miles are on the bike. Just hope your a smooth talker if the CHP pulls ya over.

There was a post in past year on one of the other boards of a fellow rider getting boned by DMV. I think it had 7300 miles or something like that. It was blacklisted on the state on the DMV computer and had to be sold out of state.

When I was shopping, I called the dealer in Reno, NV. They told me they could get me a CA bike and would neg. on the price. Get your best price and give them a call, then ask what they can do to get you to buy it from them.

Be careful! The owner of whom Highlander speaks was PlacervilleDave....a lawyer by profession...frustrated and angry, there was no way to appease the CA DMV gods (small "g"). He wanted to sell it to a friend out of state, get the added miles and bring it back, but they would not allow that. Once he tried to register "that" VIN, it was logged as an out-of-state bike and he couldn't register that VIN in CA.

If you are going to buy out-of-state for California, register it to a friend or family member until it has 7500 miles on it. Do not get a moving violation in CA until the mileage is @ 7500+, then "bring" it into CA. This is illegal, but has been known to have worked....

OTH, this is all part of the priviledge of living in Nuclear, Smog-Free, Spotted Owl lovin', tree hugging California. ;)

Be careful! The owner of whom Highlander speaks was PlacervilleDave....a lawyer by profession...frustrated and angry, there was no way to appease the CA DMV gods (small "g"). He wanted to sell it to a friend out of state, get the added miles and bring it back, but they would not allow that. Once he tried to register "that" VIN, it was logged as an out-of-state bike and he couldn't register that VIN in CA.
If you are going to buy out-of-state for California, register it to a friend or family member until it has 7500 miles on it. Do not get a moving violation in CA until the mileage is @ 7500+, then "bring" it into CA. This is illegal, but has been known to have worked....

OTH, this is all part of the priviledge of living in Nuclear, Smog-Free, Spotted Owl lovin', tree hugging California. ;)
Thank you for your guidance. I checked the CA DMV site and it states the following:

To find out whether a car or truck is California Certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle check the headset or frame. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.

Does anyone know the difference between the CA version of the FJR and the other 49 states? I am assuming that the bikes sold out of state do not have the correct label to qualify. I believe that some manufacturers (BMW?) only make one version and therefore if someone were to purchase their bikes out of state, they would be legal since they would have the proper sticker on the frame.

Up to '05 it was only the charcoal cannister in back by the rear shock, IIRC. That and ours are a gajillion times faster than the rest, plus the exhaust smells like Channel No. 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether or not it has the Cal cannister shouldn't make a difference though if it has the required miles on it. It would be registered as a used vehicle. I agree with you iugradmark, I don't wanna pay thousands more either. I read these Alabama and Texas prices and want to go right there and buy it.

Twowheelnut, I love your pic. My fantasy baseball team, the Barney Fifes have won the title in 4 of the 6 years I have played. (12 team league)

I had a friend buy an end of year new '04 BMW 1200RS from New York last year and no problem with California DMV....registered as a new bike...but maybe it qualified under the emissions rules...not sure.

I have bought several bikes from
Most have been great. The last one was my FJR and they screwed up the PDP, sales paperwork and the YES contract. It ultimately was all fixed. See previous thread about my problem.

Prices are the best in SoCal. Just keep up on the sales guy and follow up on the paperwork.

I am sure there must be a good dealer up north.

Hey, all you NorCal guys!!! Speak up! :clap:
I had EXACTLY the same experience as DrEvil. Great OTD price but they screwed up all the paperwork.

When I called D&H to purchase the Y.E.S., I found out that the bike was NOT registered to me according to Mamaha. One call the LA Yamaha and they fixed it.