Audiovox Cruise Control Install Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsitalon1

Reaction score
I posted this on the other boards...what the hell I'll post it here too! maybe we can add some good content here as well.

Hey guys,

I've installed the CC today. It's a fairly involved. I thought I would test it in the garage while it's on the centerstand.

Well, bringing the bike up to a speed of 30mph (on centerstand) I push the set button and can see the cable hold the throttle, however, after a 1/2 second it releases it again.

Slight install differences:

1. No vacumn canister

2. used headlight feed (blue/green)for power and control pad lights

3. Used brake light wires under tool box for deactivation signal. (will dbl check again when I get home).

Could it be that it is working properly, however, since it's on the stand there is no load (hence no vacumn) on the motor?

Thanks,

James

There's always some vacuum while the engine is running. The vacuum canister is only to aid in smoothing the cruise response, and I've seen posts of people running the CC without them. I would guess electrical, but it's just a guess.

The cruise thinks that it accelerated the motor too fast and cuts it off. It'll work just fine on the road. Can't comment about the lack of a cannister, but you probably don't need one, even though I installed one.

Jim

The cruise thinks that it accelerated the motor too fast and cuts it off. It'll work just fine on the road. Can't comment about the lack of a cannister, but you probably don't need one, even though I installed one. Jim
Ok.. Will try it asap. I'll report back.

James

After I installed mine I tried it on the center stand. Wouldn't work well at all. Put it on the ground and went for a cruise. Works great. Best farkle yet! :D

Ok. buttoned her up and took her for a spin. WOW it works great. even without the vacumn canister. I felt no abruptness at all. tried it at 70mph and at 30mph :D

Works great!

Thanks everyone,

James

I would love to try this farkle but I am not confident enough in my skills to splice into my $11,000 FJR "Katie". I wouldn't want to hurt her. Really, How diffucult is it? As far as my mechanic skills go. I did all my own maintence on my SV and oil changes and stuff on my cars. This I think would be a huge leap. What do ya think?

Tim

Theres 7 or 8 wires that you will need to solder.

If you take your time and gather ALL the info available, you CAN do it.

Im coclor blind, had to have the neighbor kid read wire colors to me.

But, with the help found on the other two FJR Sites, and Im sure this one too.

You can do it!

Its way cool to set the cruise and ride relaxed, especially on long distance rides.

Gather all the info, look it over, ask questions. Set aside a weekend ( it wont take that long) and be prepared to wave at fellow bikers with your right hand!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree it's really cool to have cruise.

As far as difficulty, the hardest part is connecting the cruise control actuator to the throttle lever.

I ended up slightly lower on the tb tang and couldn't get it to clear tha actual throttle cable when in the 3/4 to full throttle position.

So I had to improvise and use my own screw and nut with lock-tite, to ensure it would clear the cable.

Just take your time... really the prep work (removing panels) takes 30 minutes, wiring takes 1 hour max, But that damn actuator connection could take you 4 hours to get it just right.

James

The Audiovox CCS100 is the correct unit. It is designed for a car but easily adapted to the FJR

clicky here

for a link on how to install the cruise control. If you have an ABS you will need to relocate the servo unit. I put mine in the tool tray with an extra vacuum canister. Works great.

:D

Motorgod: I can swear that at any moment she is going to take the rest off. For some reason the picture keeps resetting. I am not giving up, though. I'll keep watching.

(I hope she ain't your wife or something...)

-BD

Nope not the wife...(wife's hotter!!) its Britney Spears...found it on BIG-Boys.com

Could you see any negative effects by not utilizing the vacuum canister? I'm about to install the cruise and am gathering all the info to tackle the project this week.

I did not install a canister. Mine's a little jerky at speeds below 45, which may or may not be an issue of the non-canister install. at 55-65 in mountains it's got not problems.

I think the cotterpin mounting on the throttle tang rocks. Definatly relieves some of the screw clearing stock linkage issues...

The Audiovox CCS100 is the correct unit. It is designed for a car but easily adapted to the FJR
clicky here

for a link on how to install the cruise control. If you have an ABS you will need to relocate the servo unit. I put mine in the tool tray with an extra vacuum canister. Works great.

:D
Motorgod, any pics of your servo mounted under the seat? I have my cruise and will be installing it soon.

[Pre-Edit -- FU Photobucket, to view the photos you will need to install one of these addons Firefox fix Chrome fix ]

Need a vacuum canister?

The CC uses vacuum to actuate the throttle cable. The electronic part of the CC controller regulates vacuum to a large diaphragm (kind of an amplifier) which is connected to the throttle cable. At idle and low engine loads there is plenty of vacuum available. If you are carrying a large load (a.k.a. a passenger), climb steep roads or operate at high altitudes your engine vacuum may be too low for the CC to operate properly. The only symptom you will notice is that your speed will start to sag. These conditions are the only reason you may want to add a vacuum canister. Lack of a vacuum canister should not cause surging or any symptom other than sagging speed while under heavy engine load.

I used a fuel filter from an '85 Goldwing as a reservoir because the connections are the same size as the vacuum hoses, it has sufficient capacity and it fits under the gas tank. The only time I have experienced speed control problems was when Feejer was loaded with a weeks worth of camping gear, wife was riding pillion and climbing mountain roads over 5k feet.

I have an ABS and decided to put the control unit by the back wheel.

bags_sm.jpg

nobags_sm.jpg

vac_sm.jpg

The servo is weather tight, unlike the controller pad. I have considered painting the servo light blue and putting NOS stickers on it
tongue.gif

I have found that using the "Resume" button to set speed prevents the big speed sag that you get using the "Set" button.

Alan

I set up to use the auxiliary vacuum canister, but never added it. After a year, I decided to put it on, since I never put a PCIII next to the servo under the seat. I didn't like the response change of the CC. I tried to tweak the dip switches and reconfigure it. In the end, I decided to remove the aux can and go back to just the cc servo. It works great!

Stu64...here's a pic of where I placed the servo and canister.

Click on "mywebpage" link below for more pics.

servovacuumbetter.jpg