PCIII Oxygen sensor disconnect on 2006 FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCioce

Reaction score
The Power Commander instructions for my '06 FJR do not mention disconnecting the 02 sensor. It is required? If so which wires? Connectors look different than the '05 model in the photo on the boards instructions.

D. Cioce

Definetly required. It is a black connector on right rear top of engine(tucked in) & has 4 wires. Just did my '06 a few days ago...

On their Web site (here), they say that the 419-001 map is for "Stock exhaust, Stock air filter, Stock O2 sensor disconnected."

Hi Guys

How the hell do you get that little black four wired b*st*rd to let loose. I"ve got the whole dang PowerCommander install done except for that little O2 sensor connector block.

I have tried to 'trigger' the release lock on the side that is most obvious - but do the two little 'clips' on the other two sides need to be triggered to release also?

Another ten minutes of this and I think I"ll take the snips to the sucker!

Any help dear friends - will be greatly appreciated,

cheers - David

Last edited by a moderator:
that connector is tricky, there are 3 tabs on it, but the only one holding it together is the middle one. Just push in on the center of the middle tab and pull the plugs apart.

Once it comes apart you'll say "wow, that was easier than i made it out to be"

that connector is tricky, there are 3 tabs on it, but the only one holding it together is the middle one. Just push in on the center of the middle tab and pull the plugs apart.
Hi Tom

Thanks for the encouragement mate. I did eventually get the little bugger out.... they don"t want it working its way loose by accident, do they?

I finished installing the PCIII, took her out for a spin ..... and it"s smoother than the underside of your tongue!

I noticed the change most from standing still to shifting up through second - there was also less vibe in third and fourth than usual. I had read in other posts that some folks found the throttle very twitchy at low revs.... I think I might have compensated for that by riding with enormous care (especially on the right side grip). Now the bike feels very, very different - silky smooth with just as much willingness to deliver power as before. Not so twitchy now.

I like it. :yahoo:

Hi DCioceHere is a link to show the location of the connection.

O2 connection

Zoltan
Please not that the connector shown in the link is for a Gen I bike. The Gen II O2 sensor has 4 wires (2 black, 1 white, 1 blue).

On that note, several members noted that they have left their O2 sensor connected. How many of you are running this way? IF so, why? Some have noted that they felt the bike ran better. I wonder...if you left the O2 sensor connected and then dyno tuned the bike if your performance would be as good or better than with it diconnected?

Any thoughts on it?

O2 connection

Zoltan
Please not that the connector shown in the link is for a Gen I bike. The Gen II O2 sensor has 4 wires (2 black, 1 white, 2 blue).

On that note, several members noted that they have left their O2 sensor connected. How many of you are running this way? IF so, why? Some have noted that they felt the bike ran better. I wonder...if you left the O2 sensor connected and then dyno tuned the bike if your performance would be as good or better than with it diconnected?

Any thoughts on it?
It has been discussed a few other times. The general consensus was that with the O2 sensor still connected, it pretty much would bypass what the power commander does to you fuel mixture.

Hi Tom

Thanks for the encouragement mate. I did eventually get the little bugger out.... they don"t want it working its way loose by accident, do they?

I finished installing the PCIII, took her out for a spin ..... and it"s smoother than the underside of your tongue!

I noticed the change most from standing still to shifting up through second - there was also less vibe in third and fourth than usual. I had read in other posts that some folks found the throttle very twitchy at low revs.... I think I might have compensated for that by riding with enormous care (especially on the right side grip). Now the bike feels very, very different - silky smooth with just as much willingness to deliver power as before. Not so twitchy now.

I like it. :yahoo:
Do you have any other mods, and are you using a "stock" map?

Thanks for the report.

O2 connection

Zoltan
Please not that the connector shown in the link is for a Gen I bike. The Gen II O2 sensor has 4 wires (2 black, 1 white, 1 blue).

Any thoughts on it?

The only thought I have is I don't know how their bikes are running. I accidentally left mine

connected initially, and the bike loaded up, wouldn't half run, and rolled the blue smoke.SUCKYBORO :drag: . Disconnected it

and it was like a new day. HAPPYVILLE. :yahoo: (but then i plugged it up again because it's illegal to run it without a properly connected emission control system bla bla bla bla...)

I installed the new "street approved" PCIII EX last November on my '05. The instructions did not mention disconnecting the O2 sensor but I disconnected it anyway following the FJRTech install instructions. Later I noticed the map stated "Stock exhaust, Stock air filter, Stock O2 sensor disconnected."

This was confusing so I emailed Power Commander and ran around for a few days with the sensor disconnected. The response was to leave the sensor connected (part of the whole million dollar fine thing and the new street approved model). I did not notice a difference between having the sensor connected or disconnected, but overall the PCIII definitely smooths things out.

O2 connection

Zoltan

Any thoughts on it?
The dealer installed mine and leff the 02 sensor connected. I found this out today when i had the bike dyno'd. The mechanic disconnected it and it runs fine. Now is just need to see what kind of mileage i get.

Here are a couple of pics that show a Gen2 oxygen sensor connector.

DSCN0548.jpg

DSCN0547.jpg

DSCN0546.jpg

DSCN0545.jpg

just in case anyone might find this useful - I found the O2 sensor connector a little bugger to disconnect.

but I think from all my reading, the general consensus is to have it disconnected (when the PC is in use)

I'll throw in my 2 cents. Just finished installing mine and it did indeed cure the minor surging (If you want surging, try an R1100RT) plus smoothed out the throttle action. This was especially troublesome on my AE but with this and the G2, all is well. Given the comments elsewhere, it sounds like it's now comparable to an '08.

Thanks for the photos, makes it really clear what to do. Although I finally took off the tank (no brainer) and it was all much easier.