Throttle lag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldaxe

Reaction score
I suspect that my bike might be a bit lazy. I now have about 2500 km (1500 miles) and am starting to investigate higher engine revs.

What I have noticed is that rolling on the throttle at 60 to 70 mph in fifth, the bike accelerates but not really strong. Then after about two seconds it pulls harder. Kind of like a car I had with a turbocharger. Takes a bit to spool up. It's not a bog, maybe more like a bit of a flat spot. Not as obvious if you are in a lower gear but still noticable in fourth. Perhaps I'm just spoiled as my last bike was a 1992 FJ1200, a bike that has always been known as a torque monster. I'm sure this one isn't as strong as the old FJ in roll on at those speeds. the old bike was geared lower though. I kind of expected that this one would blow the old one away.

Any thoughts as to what my next plan of action might be.

Check your corresponding RPM range when rolling the throttle. With mine, power delivery is deceptive. The bike is so smooth, it doesn't feel that fast, yet it is. Then, somewhere around 5,000 RPM, smoothness remains, but she gets busy with gettin' there. The power curve gets a little exciting around this point.

Also, have you done the TB sync yet? Mine has always checked within specs, but others have noted enough difference prior to sync to notice improved performance afterwards.

I suspect that my bike might be a bit lazy. I now have about 2500 km (1500 miles) and am starting to investigate higher engine revs. What I have noticed is that rolling on the throttle at 60 to 70 mph in fifth, the bike accelerates but not really strong. Then after about two seconds it pulls harder. Kind of like a car I had with a turbocharger. Takes a bit to spool up. It's not a bog, maybe more like a bit of a flat spot. Not as obvious if you are in a lower gear but still noticable in fourth. Perhaps I'm just spoiled as my last bike was a 1992 FJ1200, a bike that has always been known as a torque monster. I'm sure this one isn't as strong as the old FJ in roll on at those speeds. the old bike was geared lower though. I kind of expected that this one would blow the old one away.

Any thoughts as to what my next plan of action might be.
I don't know details of the '92 FJ1200, but would guess it's carbureted. If so, then it's an a analog device off of a set of various metering jets.

The FJR is fuel injected and set to a certain ignition map that adjusts things according to a preset digital program.

That said, there are some learned folks (Warchild for example) that believe the ignition map was changed in '04 that decreased the roll on in top gear. With his highly calibrated butt dynamometer he's ridden lots of '03 and post '03 to make this deterination.

If so, you could change that by going to one of those Power Commanders and build your own maps.

I experience pretty much the same thing (flat spot at around 4k rpm). IIRC, that corresponds with the torque curve I saw published in MCN, where it showed a flat spot, or maybe even a bit of a dip at that engine speed. It's a little annoying really. . , especially when your expectation is colored by just how much thrust the FJR makes just about everywhere else. If you want to move on out on demand, I find it best to keep 'er spooled up between 5k and 8k rpm. Just keep in mind that if you limit yourself to a 3k range in rpm, that means you're rowing the gearbox like crazy on the really fun roads. . .but the AVON's have a really cool bubblegummy finish to 'em now. . .especially after yesterday evening. :D

If you are in 5th doing 60mph your rpm's are if I recall below 4thou.

Power on the fjr really doesn't kick in strong until 5 and up.

If I expect to be doing a lot of quick accelerating (when on highway keeping up with sport bikes and such) I leave it in 4th most of the time as doing 70 or 80 in 4th isn't bad and for a quick accel it is perfect and then if I get to where I need 5th I take it.

The PCIII for me really was almost more of a toy. I don't notice anything that I couldn't do without.

I do have stock exhaust and no aftermarket air filter or anything also. Those with different cans use different maps and they may notice something. Also for those that have actually taken it to a dyno to fine tune it may get every ounce...

Shift...

Yes my bike is all stock.

I thought about a PCIII but have a hard time spending another $400 on a bike that has been called really strong. You're right, I am shifting more with this than with the old FJ. Don't get me wrong it does go well in lower gears when it's wound up but I was thinking it would be a little stronger at lower revs. The old bike just seemed to not care what gear it was in. Literature says 99 ftlbs where as the old FJ was only something like 80. Maybe It's just me having to learn to ride it a bit differently. I'll give it a bit more time for me to adjust I guess.

I have a trip to the Dragon in a few weeks. I know I'll love it better in the twisties.

Yes my bike is all stock. I thought about a PCIII but have a hard time spending another $400 on a bike that has been called really strong. You're right, I am shifting more with this than with the old FJ. Don't get me wrong it does go well in lower gears when it's wound up but I was thinking it would be a little stronger at lower revs. The old bike just seemed to not care what gear it was in. Literature says 99 ftlbs where as the old FJ was only something like 80. Maybe It's just me having to learn to ride it a bit differently. I'll give it a bit more time for me to adjust I guess.

I have a trip to the Dragon in a few weeks. I know I'll love it better in the twisties.
https://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle-p...dule.htm#Yamaha

You might want to look into this product. It was recommended to me by a personal friend who has been a Harley/Yamaha/BMW factory certified mechanic for almost 15 years.

He likes that you can leave the factory map alone and you adjust this like adding jets to a carb and can be done without a computer.

PS: The Owner of this company use to own Dynojet and split off to start something for Fuel Injection... Not a fly by night guy...

Last edited by a moderator:
I vaguely recall some folks discussing using this on either the SlEZy board or the FJRowners forums. Seems like most people favor the Power Commander for one reason or another...

I have the stock air filter, Holeshot full system and a PCIII.Dale Walker helped install the system. He outsources some of his work to this shop. Had a custom map built in the same shop where I got the full system installed. I can bet there are not too many that can out perform my FJR. Custom mapping makes a big difference with what I have added. It is smooth and delivers from 0 throttle to 100 percent throttle.

I'd like to hear from anybody who has run this on their FJR.

It does sound like a great product.
Radman replied to me a while back when I inquired about it and back then it seemed some perferred the PCIII.

Not sure I remember anything negative about the other product.

I think you will find most on this board know nothing about the techlusion product personally.

There was one reply if I recall from someone who actually used it and liked it.

The thing with the PCIII, you are going to fork out twice as much money and only be able to get a map from one person for a stock bike. Then if you want it fine tuned you will spend a good coin for that as well.

Personally if I were you I would investigate the techlusion product somewhere else besides this board because when I did I didn't get much info...

I have the stock air filter, Holeshot full system and a PCIII.Dale Walker helped install the system. He outsources some of his work to this shop. Had a custom map built in the same shop where I got the full system installed. I can bet there are not too many that can out perform my FJR. Custom mapping makes a big difference with what I have added. It is smooth and delivers from 0 throttle to 100 percent throttle.
I am not technical enough in this area to go into a full on debate of why messing with the stock mapping, why this method doesn't take load into account and how the other product does things differently and perhaps as good if not better depending on your point of view.

With the other product you don't need any custom mapping, no dynojet runs.

With the other product you don't even need a computer.

For someone who doesn't want to fork out twice as much money I don't see any advantage of the PCIII over the techlusion product.

People here on this board on this matter are going to be biased because it is what they have. Most have never even heard of this product much less tried it.

I have the PCIII, I only found out about the techlusion after my purchase. My friend really didn't like the idea of changing the mapping that a company had spent huge amounts of money and time developing and we just go in and change it. The techlusion product doesn't mess with it at all...

Good luck in your search. The Techlusion product will work with any aftermarket exhaust and can be tuned for any exhaust as they usually reduce back pressure which causes an even leaner mixture. Since this product only adds fuel this is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're kidding yourself if you think the techlusion product doesn't mess with the maps that Yamaha spent time and money to figure out. Of course it does - or rather, it has the same effect. It lets Yamaha's computer do its thing and pop out an answer, and then this unit MODIFIES that answer based on its inputs and the knob settings.

I think the Techlusion product and the PCIII work exactly the same way: the "maps" in the PCIII aren't full-blown fuel-injection maps, they're "adjustment" values to bump the Yamaha computer's outputs up or down. The difference is in how they decide what to do: the PCIII has is internal map plus external buttons for making adjustments. The Techlusion product has knobs.

The effect at the injectors and in the cylinders is the same: the Yamaha computer decides on a fuel value, and this extra device modifies that value based on its programming, inputs, and settings, and that's the value that the injector sees.

Make no mistake, I think this is a great idea and it might work just fine. But I don't agree you should have any sense of improved "safety" or intrinsic benefit because somehow you're still using Yamaha's maps. You're not.

There are now ten (10) PCIII maps available at the Dynojet site. I run the Dale Walker map as I have the header system. These maps can be altered (and saved) on your home PC any which way you choose, if you think you can improve them, or you can go to a Dynojet shop and have your bike custom mapped for any particular setup/needs/desires you can come up with. This is one of the big benefits of going with the PC over other FI modules. You can (and I do) run a power map for beatin' round da hood, or load a mileage map for that long trip, it solves the surging and rideability issues Yam provided in the oe setup, and, barring getting a custom mapping done, this all comes for roughly $280 and 1 hour at most install time that even TDub could accomplish with but one trip to the ER. I really don't know of any single bigger engine improvement that I have done that comes close to the value represented by my PC, or, for that matter, on the whole bike. No brainer IMHO.