attempting to polish wheels

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tex

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience polishing the original FJR wheels? Can it be done and if so how is the best way? Saw a R1 the other day with beautiful chrome looking wheels and decided the FJR would look even better with same. After market wheels are too expensive IMO.

Tex

Ya mean something like these?

dqiuf5.jpg

:clapping:

Purty, ain't they? Of course it's personal preference as some might they them a bit
supergay.gif
, but I give them a big SkooterG Schwing!!!!

I think it runs about $200 a wheel to do that, but you have to get with Smitty, as he is the chroming bastard, errrr, I mean expert. Legend has it he once tried to chrome his *member*, but it was too small to work with. :lol:

Clicky HERE young grasshopper for the path to CHROME wheeled enlightenment!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what im talking bout! Those wheels look awsome. I never understood if or how aluminum can be chromed, but it's obvious that those are the original FJR wheels. I am a machinist so I naturally thought I could polish the wheels myself. Not going too well though. At least it's good wheel polishing weather - even here in Texas. I'll spend another weekend on em and update here on this thread.

Tex

I don't beleive you want is to chrome them. Aluminum will flex enough that the chrome will start to crack then flake off eventually.

You want to polish them to a bright shine, then powdercoat, or paint them with a clear coat to protect from oxidation.

I am a machinist so I naturally thought I could polish the wheels myself. Not going too well though.
Might be because the wheels have a machined surface instead of a smooth surface. You may have to sand, or machine, the wheels down to a smooth surface before getting a decent polish on them.

Ya mean something like these?

dqiuf5.jpg

:clapping:

Purty, ain't they? Of course it's personal preference as some might they them a bit
supergay.gif
, but I give them a big SkooterG Schwing!!!!

I think it runs about $200 a wheel to do that, but you have to get with Smitty, as he is the chroming bastard, errrr, I mean expert. Legend has it he once tried to chrome his *member*, but it was too small to work with. :lol:

Clicky HERE young grasshopper for the path to CHROME wheeled enlightenment!
Damn Skooter send me the spare wheels asap. My old bike was sharp. My 05 would look even better with Chrome "Schwing" Wheels. And there not Gay, there stylish....

I don't beleive you want is to chrome them. Aluminum will flex enough that the chrome will start to crack then flake off eventually.
Never had a problem with flexing or chrome cracking/flaking off.

Very nice S76! They look great. Care to share how you did those?
Learn to search, ya noob! :unsure: (wow, that was exhilarating! ;) )

Bored?, How to waste 15 HRS: S76

Got a little carried away with the polisher:
000_0008.jpg

It takes that brown right off:

000_0009.jpg

All back together:

000_0011.jpg

This is not for the faint of heart. You end up covered with black jewelers rough dust and as the cloth pads wear down it makes a big mess. It will probably turn brown again first rain anyway.

Love the way an outer edge polish looks, do you have to seal the polished surface with anything ?

did the edge of my zx10 wheels

took about 6 hours and well worth it I think.

yellow012.jpg

yellow014.jpg

Never had a problem with flexing or chrome cracking/flaking off.
Hmmm... you must of had a better chrome shop than the ones I saw.

I wouldn't chrome aluminum. Polish and clear coat. But that's just me.
Must have been a really inexperienced chroming source.

Aluminum rims are chromed all the time with excellent results. Just look at the plethora of OEM automotive aluminum wheels that are chrome plated and last ages even with little or no care. Granted, many aftermarket chromed aluminum wheels do not hold up well but that is because of the (poor quality...i.e...cheap) plating process not something fundamentally wrong with chrome plating aluminum.

SkooterG....are they a bitch to keep clean???

Next ?....anyone know a good chromer in Houston, TX...gotta have it.

SkooterG....are they a bitch to keep clean???
Bare aluminum is always harder to keep clean. Actually, it's the oxidation that's hard to keep up with.

Next ?....anyone know a good chromer in Houston, TX...gotta have it.
I used Airline Plating up of Airline north of 45 back in the late 80's when I was building cars. Had all kinds of stuff chromed by them. Always did good work. Shop looked like hell, but the work was good. Don't know if they are still around or not though.

6901 Airline Dr

Houston, TX 77076

(713) 692-6369

I was too cheap to chrome or anodize my wheels, but I ride a lot and figured that all that expense would be wasted on wear and tear, so I painted them:

My link

It has been 25,000 miles and they still look good when clean. I do get rock chips and you can't take the glue off from the tire weights without taking off the clear coat and paint, so there are some down sides. Most people never notice, but it isn't ment to be a show bike either.

P1050132_800.jpg