Spiegler 3 Line Stainless Setup

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMD

Reaction score
While my motorcycle shop owner friend and I were installing the Spiegler lines from the group buy we ran into a problem. I opted to purchase the 3 line kit rather than the default 2 line setup. The number one line (from the reservoir to the "block") has one banjo that's at a 90 degree angle...it would seem that this is the one that connects to the block (after careful consideration that's the ONLY place it could go). Once it's installed the banjo actually strikes the center piece that connects to the frame of the bike (is this the "sub-frame"??) when the bars are turned to the left. Anyway, has anyone else had this problem with the 90 degree banjo impacting the center of the sub-frame when the bars are turned fully to the left?

What's the solution? Did anyone else order the 3 line kit during the Spiegler group buy? Is anyone else having this problem?

Please help.

This photo taken from above, looking down onto the new stainless line and the part of the sub-frame that it will impact when the bars are turned left...

speiglerproblem.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have the non-abs system, but that's not a good set-up. I can't believe that's what there selling for the 3 line set-up. When building the ABS system, this problem was the most difficult of all to conquer and we discussed this many times in the process.

That banjo should be a 45, instead of a 90. Better yet, I would use a 2-way manifold with the 45, plus a double banjo bolt. That way you can place it on the end and shift things to get the needed clearance. You then rotate that line between a 1:00 & 2:00 position. The lines will bend down to a 2" radius before they kink. This area is tight, but should just whisker by, in both directions.

I would call (937) 291-1735...Spiegler , talk to Matthias and tell him you need a fix for your problem. :agent:

UPDATE:

I spoke to Matthias today. He seems eagar to assist me in resolving my problem. At his request I've snapped a few pictures of the offending brake line and have sent them to him. I'll keep everyone posted as I go along.

Yeh, I had the same problem. Just bent the fitting a few degrees to get adequate clearance. When I added my SuperBrace, I scrapped the 3 line and went to the 2 line setup as there is a potential clearance problem there also.

One of the reasons I strongly urged folks to go with the 2-line setup when I set up the Spiegler GB last spring is that it makes installation a snap:

tripletreehoseclamps.jpg

Suddenly I feel like I have been bitch slapped!

Well, despite the "urging" I believe that the 3 line setup SHOULD work...I mean, that's how it was sold to me, right? I have no doubt that Spiegler will make me a happy customer before it's all over.

UPDATE:

After speaking to Matthias on the phone a couple of times Thursday I sent him some pictures of my troubled install of the 3 line front kit. This is his reply back to me first thing Friday morning:

Scott:Thanks for the excellent pictures.

We will send you today another top line. We will use a different bent for the fitting.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let me know if you have additional length at you top line.

Where should we ship to?

Best regards

Matthias
Hats off to Matthias and everyone at Spiegler Performance for such great customer service. :clap:

UPDATE:

My new line will ship Monday morning.

Scott:Thanks for the quick response.

We will ship you on Monday the brake line to the requested address.

Have a nice weekend

Matthias
These folks seem to be taking good care of me. They're changing the banjo on the upper line to a 45 degree bend. (Hey Fabone, does that sound familiar?).

OH, and here's a link to the pictures that I showed Matthias...

Pictures CLICK CLICK

Scott,

I've got the same setup as you and wanted to thank you for doing the legwork on this. I just got off the phone with Matthias and he's replacing my upper line also. I would have been a little irritated :trinibob: to discover this during the install.

One of the reasons I chose to go with the 3 line setup is at the time I didn't know if I'd be adding risers. This way, if I decide to go that route, I'm only replacing one short line vs. 2 longer lines.

Derek

I love pictures and was wondering if anyone has done a write up how to on installing these brake lines. Now I know I am asking for some smart comments here because obvious answers would be drain fluid, unscrew bolts, remove lines, insert new lines, tighten bolts, add fluid and "bleed". Bleeding dual front calipers is probably what I am trying to get at. On my Vstar dual front bleeding these was a real challenge and I am not sure I ever got all of the air out I just gave up and lived with it. Does anyone have any tips for bleeding this setup.

Also does going to the 2 lines make it easier or harder to bleed?

Thanks

My only note on the install is regarding the SpeedBleeders. Being a SpeedBleeder rookie I didn't realize that they only work with fluid in the lines. I had to use the MiniVac to get the juices flowing before the SpeedBleeders worked as expected. No big deal, just good to know.

Oh, one more thing. The kits that were purchased during the group buy would appear to one banjo bolt short. This was by design as the rear banjo bolt at the master cylinder cannot be seen once it's assembled. Therefore you should NOT use a pretty, decorative banjo bolt on that connection. If you do (like I did) you'll end up purchasing another bolt to finish the job (unless you don't mind having a visible stock banjo bolt).

WarChild

I looked at my package it only has two fittings so I take it is the two line, but will two line work with the ABS system..

rogerfjrfaster :D

Latest posts