GOOD Insurance Experience

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
Few weeks back I hit a large rock on a cliffside road while with a forum group ride. Stayed up but put a major oops in my front wheel--ruined it in fact. Tire deflated immediately and my riding day was over (see post #8 on this thread. The story there tells about how I came out on the towing, which cost me nothing for a tow that would have cost $863 without road service (which is included in my Progressive policy).

They got the bike back to the dealership for me. A new wheel had to be ordered from Georgia (to California), they replaced the 1,000-mile old Pilot Road tire with an upgrade (to PR2) and repacked the bearings. Total cost for that: about another $860, also paid by Progressive less $250 deductible. When the shop had the bike up on the lift, they found that the damn rock had rolled underneath and put a major dent in a couple of the manifold pipes.

IMG_0094.jpg

These were after-market Holeshots that cost the previous owner about $600. They found this after the adjustor had already come out and authorized the tire/wheel replacement. I called again and they amended the claim to include new Holeshot headers, which cost more now as they're now stainless steel--which Progressive is covering under the first claim so with no additional deductible.

I know insurance takes a lot of raps, and I've griped over the years about this and that, but this experience was top-notch all the way. The rep and the adjustor were both good guys, easy to deal with, very prompt; I'm absolutely satisfied. Insurance cost depends on so many factors: age, experience, total vehicles insured with a carrier, driving history, exact coverage, geographic location (even zip code), etc., that comparisons here are meaningless, but my rate is very competitive with most everything I've seen posted in this "Insurance" topic. I figure the payout for this one incident covers at least the next five, maybe six years of premiums. I'll take that any day.