Moosehead's Highway Pegs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moosehead

Reaction score
First came the need. I needed some place else to put my feet on those long trips and I needed some 0 mph tip over guards for when I do something stupid in front of everyone in a parking lot.

So I made some prototypes. First came the cardboard and duct tape(it's a Canadian thing). Then I moved on to wooden models and finally to a bolt on wooden mock up.

prototypes.jpg

Second came the CAD design with some cool WEDM and CNC features. I tried to style them to complement the FJR's styling, (shape and angled faces)

FJRhighwaypegslider.jpg

Third came the finished product.

IMGP0010.jpg

closed.jpg

inuse.jpg

IMGP0008.jpg

IMGP0002.jpg

rightside.jpg

Me likey!

That must be a pretty strong hinge. How's it holding up?

Are you planning to make some to sell?

Me likey!
That must be a pretty strong hinge. How's it holding up?

Are you planning to make some to sell?
The hinge is integral to the foot rest and held in with a ss shoulder screw. Had em on for about a month...seem to be holdin up.

never thought about making some to sell. How deep did you say your pockets were??

Nice bit of kit there. Good job :clapping:

I'm thinking that if you decide to go into productionon these you may want to offer a set without the logos tho. It would lower production costs and to me, they seem a tad overboard.

First came the need. I needed some place else to put my feet on those long trips and I needed some 0 mph tip over guards for when I do something stupid in front of everyone in a parking lot.
So I made some prototypes. First came the cardboard and duct tape(it's a Canadian thing). Then I moved on to wooden models and finally to a bolt on wooden mock up.

prototypes.jpg

Second came the CAD design with some cool WEDM and CNC features. I tried to style them to complement the FJR's styling, (shape and angled faces)

FJRhighwaypegslider.jpg

Third came the finished product.

IMGP0010.jpg

closed.jpg

inuse.jpg

IMGP0008.jpg

IMGP0002.jpg

rightside.jpg

Does it use the engine bolt for the mount? I would also be interested if you go into production.

McG

How deep did you say your pockets were??
:lol:

Nice work!

What holds them in the folded position? Do you have a detent in there or something?
there is a Vlier plunger (threaded spring plunger) mounted in the base that meets up with a small detent under the end of the foot rest in the closed position.

Does it use the engine bolt for the mount?

yes.......I was also going to dowel it to the frame as an anti-rotation device, but since they haven't moved I don't think its necessary

I agree that less detailing would reduce the cost

Nice chunk of aluminum machining! :clapping:

3-1/2 more questions,

1. Did you cover up too much of the bodywork opening, causing a reduction of air circulation through the fairing and elevated engine temps on warm days/slow traffic?

2. Can you machine a small nub or hook on the top of the folding pegs so that you can unfold the pegs at speed, easier (this would require a bit longer/thicker bar stock to start with ?

3. Can you post a side view of you using the peg extenders? Is there sufficient leg clearance with the fairing panels in their unfolded (outward) position?

As for the logo....... the Yamaha tuning fork would be tasteful, I am not sure a bout the slanted FJR's aesthetics on the bottom of the pegs in relationship with the FJR logo already on the bodywork, IMHO. (no offence intended) :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet.. :clapping:

I'd be interested in a set as well. I think it would look better without the "1300 Yamaha" on the top end, but dig the FJR stamp. I think it complements the FJR stamp on the frame.

Doc

Nice chunk of aluminum machining! :clapping: 3-1/2 more questions,

1. Did you cover up too much of the bodywork opening, causing a reduction of air circulation through the fairing and elevated engine temps on warm days/slow traffic?

2. Can you machine a small nub or hook on the top of the folding pegs so that you can unfold the pegs at speed, easier (this would require a bit longer/thicker bar stock to start with ?

3. Can you post a side view of you using the peg extenders? Is there sufficient leg clearance with the fairing panels in their unfolded (outward) position?

As for the logo....... the Yamaha tuning fork would be tasteful, I am not sure a bout the slanted FJR's aesthetics on the bottom of the pegs in relationship with the FJR logo already on the bodywork, IMHO. (no offence intended) :rolleyes:
1 I'm not blocking the openings, just mounting to the frame. In any case I haven't noticed any change in engine temp. But I also haven't been in any stop and go on a scorching day. I don't think that there would be any measurable difference in the engine temp unless you completely blocked the openings.

2. There is a small nub on the end of the foot rest part. It sticks out enough for me to flick them open while I'm riding and also it gives a place for the sole of my boot to hook on. Having said that, anything can be changed.

3. I will post some side pics soon. For me, they are just barely long enough. My knees are still touching the cowling when my feet are on the pegs. The problem is the further out the foot rests are in the open position, either the whole unit gets longer or it sticks further out from the bike. It's still fairly comfortable and as a side bonus I get a nice breeze up my pants and cool feet.

As for the logo, it's a personal preference. I'm not offended in the least.