GIVI or Yamaha top box comparo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattster31

Reaction score
If you are trying to decide which one to get.............perhaps this will help.

These are photo's of a GIVI E52 and a 2003 Yamaha top box.

The Yamaha box is sturdier in terms of construction, but the GIVI is more aerodynamic. There is a difference in the way the bike feels on a windy day with both top cases, but with the GIVI, it's MUCH less noticeable.

The Yamaha has a stronger latching mechanism (same as the sidebags), but both are easily opened with one hand.

The GIVI has the option of rear brake and signal lights. https://www.admorelighting.com

I think the only thing you could do to the Yamaha is stick on hyperlights. https://www.hyperlites.com

Both cases have an optional backrest. The GIVI has an optional top rack.

Both have good mounts (recalled on the Yamaha), but the GIVI has more than one mount available. However, one member did successfully make a plate for the Yamaha box, allowing it to move back. (I will post the link when I find it)

Dimensions: Yamaha 19" / 22" / 14"

GIVI 17.5" / 23" / 11.5

As you can see, the GIVI is smaller in external size.

rearview.jpg

topview.jpg

sideview.jpg

frontview.jpg

You will see in the photo below the usable space available. 52L in the GIVI.....less in the Yamaha.

I have seen the Yamaha advertised as having 1.83 cubic feet of space which = 51.8L....NOT!!

I took a bag stuffed with clothes that I shoved in the GIVI (it was snug).

I then tried to shove the same bag in the Yamaha......no go. I would put it in the range of 40-45L.

openview.jpg

The photos below show the Yamaha box looking more "factory" (obviously) than the GIVI, but the

GIVI can be color matched. Either on order, or by sending it to Garauld.

Yamaha.jpg

Givi.jpg

Personal preference will decided which one is right for you. Hopefully, this will help you make an informed decision. :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd never actually seen the inside of the Yamaha box, thanks for posting that. I'd read where folks said the space was less useful, but that makes it pretty clear.

Personally I went with the Givi because it was cheaper, but after the fact, I'm glad I did. Also, having picked up an older bike, I could get it color-matched.

Click pic for full-size:

Nice-looking bike, mattster!

(I'm messin' with him because his bike is wearing some scuffed panels I took off my bike last October! As a matter of fact, my sunset pic is before I crashed and replaced them, so the fairings and front fender on both bikes are actually the very same pieces. They're better than what he had, though!!!!! What my insurance replaced because they couldn't be refinished actually buffed and polished out very nicely.)

(I'm messin' with him because his bike is wearing some scuffed panels I took off my bike last October! As a matter of fact, my sunset pic is before I crashed and replaced them, so the fairings and front fender on both bikes are actually the very same pieces. They're better than what he had, though!!!!! What my insurance replaced because they couldn't be refinished actually buffed and polished out very nicely.)
Yours is a bit nicer...... :angry: I haven't done anything to the pieces I picked up from you. Silver is a great color at hiding scuffs and scratches!! Aside from people thinking I am riding a BMW :blink: , no one notices unless I point it out. BTW.....those rims on your bike look silver. Have them painted??

Well done.

I *love* my E52 on the 08. Had a V46 on my 05, and I'd put that closer to the capacity of the Yammy box.

Yours is a bit nicer...... :angry: I haven't done anything to the pieces I picked up from you. Silver is a great color at hiding scuffs and scratches!! Aside from people thinking I am riding a BMW :blink: , no one notices unless I point it out. BTW.....those rims on your bike look silver. Have them painted??
They're the polished rims like the newer bikes. Previous owner did it. I never even noticed for months that the '03s had black wheels till another '03 owner, jwilly, I think, asked me about it. Apparently there are some differences in bearings, axles, etc. between the two wheel styles also, so I don't know what I have that's '03 and what's not. And those pieces buffed out a lot nicer than I expected them to. I might have kept them had I tried that first. :rolleyes:

I'm sold on my Givi V46 w/Fred H. LED light array, so much so, that I only take it off to haul my sticks to the range or course....

I have some experience that would suggest the Yamaha box is more unstable at high speed, in case that's a consideration....