Givi 58 Top Box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Gordon

Reaction score
Good morning from snow bound Ontario Canada!! I have a question regarding adding a top box. I ordered the newest Givi top box back in August, it has finally arrived at the warehouse in Canada. The dealership that I ordered it from told me that if they bring it in they can’t return it if I don’t like it. The reason I went for the newest box was the sleek look to it, definitely a little better looking than some of the other Givi models. While I was impatiently waiting for the box to arrive I had a Girauld stiffy mount made up to ensure I had the extra support. I took my first long trip on my new to me 2009 FJR in September and did 5600 km’s without a top box. There were times where it would have been nice to unload helmets etc into the box, but I got by without it. What I did experience was some serious wind buffetting on the highway. I attribute this to being 6’5 and riding without looking through the windshield. This bike is so enjoyable to ride I got used to that. My question to the group is this” how much more wind buffetting am I going to feel when I add a 58 litre box at the rear? Does it completely change the ride with a box? How often do others use a box versus strapping a small bag to the passenger seat. The box and the mount will probably be $800+ so I’m on the fence as to whether I’ll put it on and use it or will it sit in the rafters and collect dust. Please share your thoughts/experiences with Givi and touring with a box behind you. Thanks

I run a 52l rectangular Kappa garda. Can't say that I notice any wind issues

I had a 50l Givi on mine and never noticed any difference with or without it. Beit commuting to work or trips to Tennessee, Alabama, etc.
Perhaps the bigger 58l might, but no way to know, IMO.
I downsized to the Givi V46, and just for looks, to be honest. I only use the box on weekend on longer trips. Otherwise, what I carry fits in the side cases and tank bag.

Two FJR’s, both sizes of OEM top cases, over 250,000 km’s, never noticed any issues because of the top case. (Long trips mosly, occasional in town shopping) If your buffeting is head/helmet, then I suggest you begin your personal search for ‘best windshield’. I’m on my 6th, I think I’m finally done.

-Steve

Why does it have to be "either/or"? I use my GIVI topcase only when traveling. I strap a taller & wider bag to the rear seat to simulate having a passenger. Even if nearly empty, the seat bag reduces what I call the parachute effect I feel from the swirling around me and catching the topcase. Even with the seat bag nearly empty it helps immensely. Plus I don't have to pack so strategically with the extra space.

I use a old Nelson Rigg Dayrunner bag.

IMG_20230914_142332244_HDR.jpg

When loaded it felt a little different, especially if there was some weight in it. It wasn’t a problem though and I took a several hour trip and commuted pretty regularly with it without issue. I liked the streamlined look as well and have no regrets.

Jeff, enjoy your new ride.
My Givi 46L has been on 2 FJR's since 2003 and it only comes off when I wash the bike. My wife wanted the security of a backrest that the Givi provided and the added capacity certainly helped when carrying gear for two. She no longer rides with me so my riding is all singular now. That Givi has been to both coasts more than once. Twist of the key and it's off if you don't need it so you always have a choice. If I want to lock up my helmet, I have to use the Givi now as my Shoei modular won't fit in the side cases like my non-modular Shoei's would. It typically holds my ball cap, rain gear, backup maps and my wet/cold weather gloves so no major load to mess with the bike's balance. On a trip it will hold a bit more like my tire pump and cleaning supplies but I try to keep the bulk of the weight balanced in the saddlebags. All the buffeting that I deal with is just from the wind screen and I've been living with it for years now. I have a touring screen which adds several inches of height and it improved things. I think that an added couple inches of screen height would minimize the buffeting but doubt I'll do anything at this point.

Attachments

• 03fjr.jpg
    03fjr.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 08fjr.jpg
    08fjr.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 0
No issues with an OEM top case over 140,000 miles; rarely removed it whether commuting or traveling cross-country. Now have 17,000 miles with a Givi 50L on board 95% of the time, and again no issues with buffeting, balance or anything else. Passenger or some camping gear on the pillion doesn’t change handling.

Good morning from snow bound Ontario Canada!! I have a question regarding adding a top box. I ordered the newest Givi top box back in August, it has finally arrived at the warehouse in Canada. The dealership that I ordered it from told me that if they bring it in they can’t return it if I don’t like it. The reason I went for the newest box was the sleek look to it, definitely a little better looking than some of the other Givi models. While I was impatiently waiting for the box to arrive I had a Girauld stiffy mount made up to ensure I had the extra support. I took my first long trip on my new to me 2009 FJR in September and did 5600 km’s without a top box. There were times where it would have been nice to unload helmets etc into the box, but I got by without it. What I did experience was some serious wind buffetting on the highway. I attribute this to being 6’5 and riding without looking through the windshield. This bike is so enjoyable to ride I got used to that. My question to the group is this” how much more wind buffetting am I going to feel when I add a 58 litre box at the rear? Does it completely change the ride with a box? How often do others use a box versus strapping a small bag to the passenger seat. The box and the mount will probably be $800+ so I’m on the fence as to whether I’ll put it on and use it or will it sit in the rafters and collect dust. Please share your thoughts/experiences with Givi and touring with a box behind you.
Thank you to those that have replied, helps make the decision to add a top box.

Good morning from snow bound Ontario Canada!! I have a question regarding adding a top box. I ordered the newest Givi top box back in August, it has finally arrived at the warehouse in Canada. The dealership that I ordered it from told me that if they bring it in they can’t return it if I don’t like it. The reason I went for the newest box was the sleek look to it, definitely a little better looking than some of the other Givi models. While I was impatiently waiting for the box to arrive I had a Girauld stiffy mount made up to ensure I had the extra support. I took my first long trip on my new to me 2009 FJR in September and did 5600 km’s without a top box. There were times where it would have been nice to unload helmets etc into the box, but I got by without it. What I did experience was some serious wind buffetting on the highway. I attribute this to being 6’5 and riding without looking through the windshield. This bike is so enjoyable to ride I got used to that. My question to the group is this” how much more wind buffetting am I going to feel when I add a 58 litre box at the rear? Does it completely change the ride with a box? How often do others use a box versus strapping a small bag to the passenger seat. The box and the mount will probably be $800+ so I’m on the fence as to whether I’ll put it on and use it or will it sit in the rafters and collect dust. Please share your thoughts/experiences with Givi and touring with a box behind you. Thanks
I’ve run v47, v56, and trekker 58l’s under all sorts of conditions. No issues.

Over 100k with an aftermarket top box. Never noticed it. If I was buying a new one, I'd get the shad expandable one. Low for most of the time, but can be larger when needed.

As noted above, I'd suspect if you did side-by-side comparisons, that if anything, that changed aerodynamics with a trunk installed, in your case, would be no impact, to helpful. I've got 200K miles on a Concours and FJR with Givi V46 always installed. side bags only used on multi-day trips, as with SoCal commuting narrower is better when lane-splitting.
I've only noticed the trunk twice
- once when accelerating hard to jump traffic to get ahead of car on Hwy 1 after major landslides (decades ago). With a passenger and fully loaded trunk, the extra weight further back meant front wheel came off the ground unexpectedly. nice challenge to get ahead of traffic but not crash due to crowned road surface and front wheel not in contact meant drifting towards edge of road
- other time was on city street and van ignored my presence and pulled out of parking lot. Acceleration and Evasive maneuver on my part largely successful, though the Givi trunk did just clip the van (small scratch)

As for buffeting, for reference - I'm 6'0" and longer of torso than average. But you're head will still be a few inches higher than mine. 1. I've used Rifle fairings for decades and swear by them, but ymmv, and personal preferences, local climate, etc all play their part. 2. I've always preferred, with Rifle fairing, to normally just be looking over the top lip of the fairing. Airflow is largely going over my head, but I have an unobstructed view. The Rifles (and others of similar design) have opening(s) to reduce back-pressure behind windscreen, which reduces buffeting. Also, your helmet makes a significant difference
And Russ's suggestion also can make a difference

I've always preferred, with Rifle fairing, to normally just be looking over the top lip of the fairing. Airflow is largely going over my head, but I have an unobstructed view. The Rifles (and others of similar design) have opening(s) to reduce back-pressure behind windscreen, which reduces buffeting.
Sadly, Rifle is no more.