Need a little decision help from FJR owners...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodogg2221

Reaction score
I posted over on the Concours forum basically the same question.

Im really torn between the two of these bikes. Help!

First real post...hope Im in the right area for my question.

I am wondering if I need a FJR1300.

I currently own a 2007 VTX1800. I used to ride sport bikes, my last being a Kawasaki Z1000 that I traded in on the VTX.

I got the X for more comfort, but as it turns out, I havent really gained anything.

Well, I have a little, but not like I thought I would.

I originally intended to get the C14, but it was brand new in 08 when I traded, and I heard of the heat issue which kind of scared me off. I was also eyeballing the FJR1300 pretty close too.

I am no stranger to heat, my old RF900 used to get hot and dump heat on you at times, but not too bad. My Z1000 even got pretty warm all around when the temps got over 85, but again, not too awful, and once moving it wasnt bad at all. Seems the new FJRs have solved that issue.

I guess Im wondering if any of you used to have cruisers and went from them to this, and if so, do you have any observations you could share with me?

Here are a few of my issues:

At speeds above 65, the bike seems to work harder. Or at least is more resistive to input. Much more.

I have the largest screen available and lowers, yet get more buffeting than on my naked Z1000. That gets old very quick.

I miss the power. I do like the torque, but really its not enough...

It seems that even with saddlebags and a tail bag on my bike, Id do better on the FJR with just the hard bags. They are much larger than my saddlebags.

Also, the mileage. My bike does great if I keep it below 65. If I run up around 70-80, like interstate, the bikes MPG drops considerably into the mid 30s. Thats awful to me...

I have no idea how comfortable a FJR would be on a trip. All Ive done is sit on one in the showroom, and while it seemed comfy, you really can tell anything until you get out on the road at least for a little bit.

I really hadnt looked hard recently at the FJR, because of the Kawasaki, but reading some reviews and other info, it seems Yamaha is more anxious or willing to resolve issues (heat management, and the taller gearing on later models to address the vibes).

Have any of you experienced any vibes in the pegs or bars?

Anyone have any words of wisdom they could share, or observations between models?

Am I just worried about nothing as far as vibes? I mostly ask about that because I want a long haul comfortable bike, but also one thats nice for short trips around town and just tooling around for fun.

Oh, and Yamaha has a MUCH better deal right now with financing than Kawasaki does too...

I should also mention that I am looking for a bike to have around for a long time. The VTX has only been around a year, and I am unhappy with the ride. I dont want that with the FJR if I go that route...well, any bike I end up with, if that makes any difference.

Help!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're at the FJR Forum. I'm not gonna read all that, but I'll just jump in and say BUY THE FJR!

You won't be sorry B)

Have an '08 FJR purchased a year ago. Looked at it and the C14 and obviously chose the FJR. Yes the C14 has about 6hp more at the rear wheel but by all accounts gets slightly lower mileage when the two are ridden the same. FJR has a slightly larger tank and saddlebags which come with liners. FJR has a more upright riding position and the seat is pretty good for a stock seat; still using it with a sheepskin pad when touring.

Commute on mine daily, about 20-25 minutes one way; short trips and long. No complaints about vibration but I did add grip puppies which made things more comfortable mainly because they make the grips a little larger. Only real complaint is the wind roar with the windshield fully raised and that can be resolved with a reasonable aftermarket one. If I had to buy either one today I would without hesitation stay with the FJR. And I love the fact it runs on regular, no premium required.

Look below and you'll see where I come from. I'm pretty much a speed freak. My dad was a racer and myself at times and I always loved the cafe style so wind has always been an after thought so tuck your head to stop the head buffeting. :D The Feejer takes care of the other side that needs a fix....long distant rides to twisties, throw the gear down and tear up the canyons with serious torque. My Thrux is heavily modded up and if I get 30 miles to the gallon I'm doing great! I get 42mpg with 6.6 gallons of fuel[The Thrux, 4.4 or about 100mi] so I'm in heaven. I tried the C14 in December and it still manage to cook my crotch from the heat coming off, between the seat and tank. Gawd only knows what it would do now, with 102degree heat at 5PM. Get the Feejer you won't be disappointed. If you NEED more power[i think your nuts! :rolleyes: ] there are plenty of small tweeks to get more power. But hell man, at 105mph@ 5000rpm with red line at 10,sheesh how much more power, and speed do you need out on the roads?

You're at the FJR Forum. I'm not gonna read all that, but I'll just jump in and say BUY THE FJR!

You won't be sorry B)

I know that, thats why I posted it here! :D

I was trying to get an opinion from you guys like I did from those on the C-14 forum. They had lots of advice from guys who had switched from cruisers, etc...

I do like the bag liners, and the fact that the stock stuff (screen and seat especially) seem to get better marks than the stock Kawi parts...less stuff I need to buy right off the bat.

I guess I had the impression that the C-14 was the end all be all of performance. I did not know that the difference in power was so small. I imagine from that, the 1/4 times are relatively close, though they both smoke my VTX...

I guess what Im am really after, and should have been when I sold the Z1000, was a bike with at least the same power and handling as that, with a lot more comfort.

Now if I can just get over the fact that all I can get is BLACK, I will be fine. I wish the silver was still around, thats my favorite, then blue then red...

The FJR isn't perfect. Most of us have spent money making it "personal" to our styles and wants.

It won't handle like your Z1000 because it's still a 650 lb. motorcycle but it will come a lot closer than the VTX.

There are little niggles that upset some people....a vibration here, a double-check-the-dealer assembly there, finding the "perfect" windshield for your height, I needed an aftermarket seat on my '05, etc., etc.

I went from an older Yamaha cruiser-type to a C-10 Connie to the FJR. That was 70,000 miles ago. It appears I made a move in the right direction!

BTW, there are no "bad" sport touring bikes, they all arrive at the same destination from different perspectives, i.e., the ST1300 is a bit more touring, the C-14 a bit more sporty and on and on and on....

[SIZE=8pt]Resistance if futile...you will be assimilated![/SIZE]

Not having ridden the Concourse or owned a cruiser, my opinion may not be much help...but here it is anyhow. After a fair amount of research, I bought the FJR at the beginning of May. I needed something that was comfortable for a passenger as well as myself. I've ridden quite a few cruiser style bikes over the years (many friends have them) and I think the FJR is noticably more comfortable. Ample power is a big plus and the wind protection is good. I managed to total mine a few weeks back and after briefly considering the "other" candidates, I'm chomping at the bit to get another FJR in the garage! BTW, the heat issue with the 1st gen's isn't that bad and they're a little lighter too.

Had a valkyrie, gold wing, tiger, st1300, fz6 and now only the fjr. I have ridden the new connie and was not impressed. When I got back on the fjr I was happy I had bought the fjr. I have an 06 with over 50k miles and it runs better than new. As stated above you will do things to make it right for you: windshield, seat, g2 throttle(for 06-07). But you will do those things with any bike. The ease of maintenance, running on regular gas, low insurance premiums. reliability, dealer network, the ability to do so many things very well. I have no regrets and still feel it is the best overall value in sport tourers. Good luck with your decision.

Well, Im calling the dealer tomorrow. Found online that they have an older one...well, an 08, so I guess just sort of a leftover, but if all works out, I may just end up with a lower payment than I have right now.

That would be VERY nice.

Gotta check on insurance too, see how much it will change.

Wish me luck!

Well, Im calling the dealer tomorrow. Found online that they have an older one...well, an 08, so I guess just sort of a leftover, but if all works out, I may just end up with a lower payment than I have right now. That would be VERY nice.

Gotta check on insurance too, see how much it will change.

Wish me luck!

Good Luck.

I am no stranger to heat, -------------- Seems the new FJRs have solved that issue.
I purchase a "left over" '07 (the fastest one! and best looking!!) in May '08. I too had concerns about the "heat" both of the FJR and Connie. I put approximately 11,000 miles on a '00 Vstar 1100 and 43,000 miles on a '00 Roadstar (1600). This mileage was done between June '01 and May '08. For me, I find the FJR "cooler" than my Roadstar. The fairing really projects my legs from the wind and weather compared to the R* and V*. I find it far from hot and I ride in the mid 40s to 105-110s and personally find it cooler in the high temps when at lower speeds.

Since May '08, I have put on 24,000 miles as of yesterday and in for the "26K" service as we're leaving on a 5,000 mile ride over 3 weeks starting with WFO-8 the end of this month. I'm not a IBA / Rally rideer. It's my wife and friends on over nighters and a 4600 mile trip from the SF Bay Area to Colorado and around.

I guess Im wondering if any of you used to have cruisers and went from them to this, and if so, do you have any observations you could share with me?
I made the same transition. Would I go back? I have zero interest and no reason. On my on both the R* and V*, we could do 400 miles days but that was pushing it. On the FJR (and Vstar 1300) we regularly do 500 mile days and for me, I feel as good when I get off as on especially if I get on and off the bike to "smell the roses" a long the way. I get more tired if I try to push through than take frequent by short breaks.

I have a bad lower back (no surgery yet) but... On the cruisers after 100 miles or so, my lower back and tail bone would be killing me even with several after market seats. The third mod to the FJR within 600 miles was a Rick Mayer seat (ride in as he is 240 miles away). I'm 6'1" 200# with a 32" inseam. The second mod was a riser plate which move the bars up and back. Between those 2 and the leg position, my weight is on my inner thighs - sitz bones toward my knees. I can't even get my weight on my tail bone with out taking my hands off the bars. The set up allows me to shift my weight around which was not possible on the cruisers. I use the stock grips with grip puppies, Vista cruise throttle lock and Audiovox which allows me the relax my hands.

I periodically ride my wife's Vstar 1300 about 10 miles one way and it reminds me how much more comfortable my FJR is.

I just did a "tune up" on my seat so I would not slip around and I'm ready to go again - 12 days but who's counting :rolleyes:

It seems that even with saddlebags and a tail bag on my bike, Id do better on the FJR with just the hard bags. They are much larger than my saddlebags.
They are larger than my cruisers also. Since we ride two bikes, we have more available hauling space. I put Garauld's luggage rack and a fender rack on the Vstar 1300. For several day trips, we use a small duffel back with I attached using Rok straps. When we to week(s) long trips, we use larger duffel bags on both bikes. Even so, we generally pack more stuff than we use. On these trips we ride, sniff the flowers, eat dinner, relax, and go to bed and repeat until done... LOL

If I run up around 70-80, like interstate, the bikes MPG drops considerably into the mid 30s
. My MPG in 24,000 miles - median 43.9, min 34.4, max 54.8. The min is effectively going 90 to 110 MPG - there is a stretch of highway here in the SF Bay Area where I can be going 70 to 80 into a 20 to 40 MPH headwind. The plus 50 is in the High Sierra and Colorado and Utah. My typically slabbing speed is 70 to 80. Without headwinds, I see in the low to mid 40s. Stock ECU, pipes and air filter.

I have no idea how comfortable a FJR would be on a trip.
See above comments. For me the FJR style seating is much more comfortable. Haven't tried other Sport Touring bikes other than static sitting - FJR, ST1300, Connie, and V-strom on the same floor. For me the static FJR was hands down better. You're mileage may vary.

Have any of you experienced any vibes in the pegs or bars?
Nope

I mostly ask about that because I want a long haul comfortable bike, but also one thats nice for short trips around town and just tooling around for fun.
So far the only bike that beats my FJR is a Wing and I can't afford a Wing and an Vstar 1300 and you're not getting my wife off her bike and ride 2 up..... LOL For me, I can get into "plenty of trouble" cross country and around town with my FJR.

I should also mention that I am looking for a bike to have around for a long time.
When I bought the Vstar 1100 and then moved up the the Roadstar, I knew I would be getting a different bike(s). I see no reason to get something different or why. Other than a Wing, none of the cruiser style seating interests me. I can do normal maintenance and have Yamaha tech that I have absolute trust and respect for. So why change.

Damn it's still 12 days until we leave for WFO, Alberta and BC!! By the way, did I mention I :yahoo: "love" my FJR??? :yahoo:

If you want to check out some of things I done to the FJR or the types of trips and rides we've done go here

Any more questions just ask or PM me.

Forget all that rational, fact-based stuff. Go with your gut-feeling. You NEED an FJR. When you look at an FJR, evaluate how it makes you feel, then pull out your pen to sign on the dotted line.

If you DON'T feel that way, that's OK. Mosey on over to the C14 forum. Must admit that we're all kinda biased around here, but I guess they feel the same way about their bike too.

I looked very seriously at both the FJR and the C-14 as well as a couple of used K1200GTs. I'm now enjoying my 2007 black cherry FJR.

Both are very capable bikes, but I went with the FJR for several reasons. First, it fit me nicely and is even more comfy with 1" risers and the Spencer mod I had done on the seat. On the C-14, my knees rode up much too high on the tank (I'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam). I also found the FJR to have better low-speed handling manners.

The Gen 2 bikes (2006 -->) have corrected most of the significant issues (heat, etc) present in earlier models and made ABS standard (it's an option on the C-14).

I saw several posts on the Kawa forums touting the higher HP of the C-14. I agree that it's a very impressive motor, but it's just about a wash since it's a bit heavier than the FJR. Either bike has way more power than I legitimately need. The 6th gear on the Kawa is a non-issue as well. The way the FJR is geared, I don't even get into 5th unless I'm cruising at over 60mph. Around town, I find myself hitting the speed limit on most roads in second or third gear.

Best wishes with your decision. Enjoy whichever one you get.

Also do a little forum search on the maintenance costs for the Connie. ie spark plug changes and valve adjustments and find out how much harder it is to do verses the FJR. Removing the cowling on the Connie to change spark plugs as well as the extremely costly valve adjustments would steer me towards the FJR in a split second.

Also do a little forum search on the maintenance costs for the Connie. ie spark plug changes and valve adjustments and find out how much harder it is to do verses the FJR. Removing the cowling on the Connie to change spark plugs as well as the extremely costly valve adjustments would steer me towards the FJR in a split second.
Darn. I knew I was forgetting to mention something.

So far, I've found the FJR pleasantly easy to work on (did the Barbarian mod, lightened the throttle return spring, and added risers so far). Raising up the front of the gas tank to do throttle body sync/change plugs is quite simple and straightforward (especially with help from this forum).

As you can see, there are many considered opinions. I own an '08 FJR and an '03 BMW 1150 RT. Each have their plus and minuses, but I like both. Each has been modified to suit my preferences, e.g., saddle, wind shield, and springs/shocks. The whole process of motorcycle selection can be reduced to a simple algorithm which also applies to a woman or a horse;

Look them over the best you can, close your eyes, raise your head, make your choice, and command your future to The Almighty.

Now go pleasure the SO and suffer no more.

I would buy the Connie. The spark plugs are much more fun to change. On the FJR they come out to easy and it's so fast you really don't get to get in there and enjoy it.

Definitely the Connie.