Am i the only one that missed the whole iron butt principal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carmine

Reaction score
Catfish is running the 2009 iron but rally and I sincerely pray for his safe return above all else. He is a strong willed sensible guy with sound judgement. So I am sure he will do what he needs to do to keep himself safe while ENJOYING the rally. In the last few months I have really come to respect and admire some of the things that at first I thought were silly or mundane to worry about. For instance he tracks the gas milage on all his bikes" Im thinking what the hell this guys is OCD or somthing" so as a grease monkey I had to ask why? The simple answer when a motorcycle or any engine is begining to have a problem first thing that happens is the fuel economy goes down. I thought wow simple yet very effective way to detect upcoming engine problems damn why didnt I think of that! So when he announced he had been selected to participate in the iron butt rally I wasn't too surprised. I am sure he has some reason or maybe its just the natural progression of things. As some of you are aware he rides about 340 days a year or more. So a road trip or rally around the ENTIRE USA is just somthing that would come natural to a guy like him. But for a guy like me Iron butt anything is just sooo damn confusing a concept for me to grasp. from location to location to location to ........I think you get it. I guess I am not really a rally kind of guy and I get more joy out of puttering along daydreaming listening to the harmonious melody of my engine than I ever would in knowing that I have covered 1000 miles in whatever amount of time alloted. It just makes no sence to me especially riding an fjr or a wing these bikes are built to cover thousands of miles. Hell I think Everybody here knows for a fact that an fjr is a joy to ride and capable of just about anything you could ever or not ever want it to do! They even seem to do a pretty good job of protecting their owners from forrest rat attacks. In 11 hours I covered 500 plus miles during the rhode rally and it was fun but it wasnt the 500 miles that made it fun it was the company the scenery the people we met along the way. Sure the destinations were kewl, but I really just had a better time spending time meeting new people who shared a love for riding. I am definately going to do the rhode rally again if i can just because I had a great time with a lot of really cool people. The milage count has absolutely nuthing to do with it and inspires very little if not any pride in me. Now If I was able to ride a 1903 harley davidson for 1000 miles in 12 hours that may be somthing to bark about. I know it takes a might bit of stamina and determination to complete such a monumentally long journey. But I just cant for the love of riding justify such an incredibly long ride. I am sure each rider has their reasons but I will NEVER GET IT!!!!! It just seems to me that if I was going to go on a road trip across the usa I would be compelled to stop way to often and take pictures and meet every person I can and enjoy the differences that draw people together rather than watching my odometer clik away! I AM SURE THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO MAY FIND THIS OFFENSIVE AND MY INTENT IS NOT TO OFFEND IT IS MORE TO ATTEMPT TO UNDERSTAND THE LURE OF THE ODOMETER THAT DRAWS PEOPLE TO RIDE FOR SO LONG!

No offense taken from me, LDR isn't for everybody. If everyone was into exactly the same thing this plant would be very boring. :D

I have always been the type of guy who when I go from point A to point B I have no interest in stopping on the way. I've done one rally, two other IBA certified rides and just wish I had the time to do more.

Carmine,

No worries. It aint for everyone.

I do highly recommend you pick up Ron Ayers book "Against the Wind."

It's a fairly quick and easy read.

I have no doubt that every IBR participant (with few exceptions) questions why the hell they chose to do it too, at least once during the trip.

Endurance rallying is a really hard to grasp until you give it a try. Then it gets in your blood and you can't get enough. I think after almost every LD ride I've ever done, while I was fatigued I have decided that it was dumb and I'll never do that again.

Then I sleep on it, wake up refreshed and start planning the next ride.

But it aint for everyone...

:)

Camine,

My name is dcarver, and I'm the Candy Butt Association founder and president. I'm happy to say you sound like an ideal CBA candidate for membership. CBA members *can* ride LDR but choose *not* to. We like to smell the posies, go fishing, eat good food, travel all of 200 miles in 18 hours, look at and appreciate beautiful women, and feel great when we get home or to the hotel.

These IBA guyz are just nucking futs! :rolleyes:

LOL, check my siggie.. :unsure: :rofl:

My name is dcarver, and I'm the Candy Butt Association founder and president. I'm happy to say you sound like an ideal CBA candidate for membership. CBA members *can* ride LDR but choose *not* to. We like to smell the posies, go fishing, eat good food, travel all of 200 miles in 18 hours, look at and appreciate beautiful women, and feel great when we get home or to the hotel.
If the CBA isn't limited to males only I would like to be a member too.....except for the looking at beautiful women part. Personally I'd rather look at handsome tall slim white-haired bearded male motorcyclists who wear a beret when off the bike. I can't explain it - maybe I was conceived at a BMW Rally. Nonetheless I like to stop and smell the posies and all the rest. ??

Kasey

If the CBA isn't limited to males only I would like to be a member too.....except for the looking at beautiful women part. Personally I'd rather look at handsome tall slim white-haired bearded male motorcyclists who wear a beret when off the bike. I can't explain it - maybe I was conceived at a BMW Rally. Nonetheless I like to stop and smell the posies and all the rest. ??
Kasey
Shoot! I thought I was on to something until you mentioned the white hair and the real killer, the beret. ;)

I'm with Carver, though. I like to see the sights and take my time.

I do admire those people, though.

I'm sure you could petition DC for membership of the CBA.

When you mentioned the beret, I immediately thought of KahunaJawdge. Can't recall if he has a beard or not though. He is tall (but from my perspective, pretty much EVERYONE is tall.

As for the Iron Butt rally, I believe that all the competitors have a touch of madness to even attempt such a feat. On a modern motorcycle, most riders could ride 500 slab miles from point A to point B, then turn around and come back again, completing it within 24hrs. But how many could repeat that kind of physical punishment on eleven consecutive days? And that's even if you're GIVEN the route. Those who have ridden a bike are better placed to appreciate some of the challenges that these riders will face.

Those who earn podium placement are masters of strategy. They have carefully planned and manipulated their routes to get the most points for the least effort. This is a treasure hunt for adults where the prizes reward cunning and intelligence, combined with endurance and ability to accept and deal with sudden changes.

While I personally would never risk my honorary CBA membership by even THINKING of such a challenge, I'm loving the vicarious thrill of the rally, via Warchild's snippets of information and the daily bulletins.

I admire each and every entrant, whether they place or not, or even finish. These are the folks who are LIVING their lives.

Carpe Diem

Carmine,

I can understand your lack of understanding. I don't understand the attraction of drag racing, fire walking and other things, yet there are many that have a passion for these things. I'm with dcarver on the "*can* ride LDR but choose *not* to" opinion. I love the fact that I have a machine that lets me ride comfortably as long as the gas lasts, but I prefer to enjoy the sites and people along the way.

... look at and appreciate beautiful women, and feel great when we get them home or to the hotel.
Don,

Fixed it for you! :grin:

Kasey
Kasey, women are adored in the CBA. Estrogen endowed humanoids get to look at handsome men with tight fitting jeans, big guns, and berets, too. May I introduce you to my friend, and local rider, Clement Salvadori?

clement_salvadori.jpg
:unsure:

I'm not sure you could ever make someone understand the Iron Butt. I had to drop out of this rally for financial reasons. It would have been my 4th Iron Butt Rally. For you to understand it, you would have to first understand the concept of pushing yourself, and your machine beyond not only what everyone else things you and it are capable of of, but beyond what YOU think you are capable of.

30 years ago when a friend first suggested the idea of riding a motorcycle 1000 miles in 24 I thought it would be impossible, but would probably be fun to try. I was living in Minneapolis at the time. He rode his 1958 Panhead, I rode my 1977 XL750 Yamaha. Not only did we both do it, but we did it in about 20 hours and made the bar for last call when we were done. That experience changed not only how I looked at motorcycle riding, but how I looked at life. Suddenly things that seemed impossible now were looked at as possible. If you never experience that, you can never understand it.

I find it interesting that people who do not put on big miles think those of us who do don't smell the roses, or enjoy the roads and the scenery that we ride through. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, we get to experience things that other riders never get to. Things like seeing the sunrise off the Oregon coast, then sunset off the California coast. How many times have your ridden the roller coaster on the Stratosphere in Las Vegas in full riding gear? How many times have you been stopped by German tourists in Joshua Tree asking why all the motorcycles are there? I have ridden the ferries from Cape May NJ, Nova Scotia, and the Outer Banks of No. Carolina, all in 3 days. I have been to Key West, and Hyder Alaska, all on the same trip. Trust me, I remember all of these places, and all the miles in between as vividly as if I had been there yesterday. And on good nights, I dream vividly about all the places I have ridden to. I never used to remember dreams before I rode my first Iron Butt Rally in 1999.

I am sure most of you don't understand it. There have been more people in outer space than have finished an Iron Butt Rally. There have been way more people on the top of Mt. Everest than have finished an Iron Butt Rally. Those of us among those few have a very special bond between us. It is because we do understand, while nobody else does. You also don't understand how much it hurts me to not be riding it this year.

It also affects how you ride when you are not in a rally. I remember a few years ago at the WFO in Moscow ID. Another rider who lives near me in the Bay Area asked if I were riding straight home, or stopping on the way. Of course I told him I saw no reason to stop. He asked if he could ride with me, and of course I said sure. Along the way we stopped and he mentioned that several other riders from the area were stopping for the night in Bend Or. I will never forget riding through Bend at about 2:00pm and thinking: "What are these guys going to do here? Check-in in the middle of the afternoon and hang out in bend for 15 hours before they ride home?" Those people didn't see anything I didn't see on the way home. You say you don't understand me, I can assure you that I cannot understand riding like that.

Here is something for you to think about. If you get up early, and get on the road before 6, then put on 100-200 miles before breakfast, then put on another 300-400 before dinner, then ride till the sun comes down, you can put on close to 1,000 miles a day without riding in the dark, and getting 8 hours of sleep a night. You don't miss anything, but you see a lot more in a much shorter amount of time. That is what we do.

I'm not saying what we do is better. It is just different. Calling us crazy isn't accurate. It reminds me of a bit that George Carlin used to do talking about driving. He said: "Have your ever noticed that anyone who drives slower than you do is an asshole, and anyone who drives faster is a maniac?" It is the same thing here. Anyone who doesn't understand riding big miles, and thinks because they don't think they could do is safely, assumes that no one else can either.

The bottom line is that no one will ever understand the Iron Butt Rally until they have done it. And when you do, you find yourself part of such a special part of the motorcycling community that you can never imagine your life without having done it.

I find it interesting that people who do not put on big miles think those of us who do don't smell the roses, or enjoy the roads and the scenery that we ride through. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, we get to experience things that other riders never get to. Things like seeing the sunrise off the Oregon coast, then sunset off the California coast. How many times have your ridden the roller coaster on the Stratosphere in Las Vegas in full riding gear? How many times have you been stopped by German tourists in Joshua Tree asking why all the motorcycles are there? I have ridden the ferries from Cape May NJ, Nova Scotia, and the Outer Banks of No. Carolina, all in 3 days. I have been to Key West, and Hyder Alaska, all on the same trip. Trust me, I remember all of these places, and all the miles in between as vividly as if I had been there yesterday. And on good nights, I dream vividly about all the places I have ridden to. I never used to remember dreams before I rode my first Iron Butt Rally in 1999.
I am a huge fan of motorcycles and riding it burns in my blood so much so that if i cant ride i feel as though somthing is missing from my life. I quoted this because it is wonderfull in its writting and sentiment and as much as i am positive that these things are burned deeply into your thoughts and dreams. but have you ever wondered what you may have passed up along your way. Maybe you missed the love of your life because she got to that same has station two seconds after you had left. but if you had just stayed 1 more minute to enjoy the taste of your iced tea instead of sipping it from your hydration system at ...........mph along hwy watever you may have? ? ? im not saying rally life isnt fun! pushing yourself to excell is an all american institution, an ideal a reason people around the world love ,hate, and admire, the usa. and Not quoted here you said somthing along the lines of having to try it well i may just have to do just that.

hopless class here i come might just have to find the crustiest piece of junk i can find and beat it till she dropps. maybe i will pack up my bike and ride off to washington and meet my buddie for the ride home. hmmmmm ....... just a thought!

I'm not sure you could ever make someone understand the Iron Butt. I had to drop out of this rally for financial reasons. It would have been my 4th Iron Butt Rally. For you to understand it, you would have to first understand the concept of pushing yourself, and your machine beyond not only what everyone else things you and it are capable of of, but beyond what YOU think you are capable of.
30 years ago when a friend first suggested the idea of riding a motorcycle 1000 miles in 24 I thought it would be impossible, but would probably be fun to try. I was living in Minneapolis at the time. He rode his 1958 Panhead, I rode my 1977 XL750 Yamaha. Not only did we both do it, but we did it in about 20 hours and made the bar for last call when we were done. That experience changed not only how I looked at motorcycle riding, but how I looked at life. Suddenly things that seemed impossible now were looked at as possible. If you never experience that, you can never understand it.

I am sure most of you don't understand it. There have been more people in outer space than have finished an Iron Butt Rally. There have been way more people on the top of Mt. Everest than have finished an Iron Butt Rally. Those of us among those few have a very special bond between us. It is because we do understand, while nobody else does. You also don't understand how much it hurts me to not be riding it this year.

It also affects how you ride when you are not in a rally. I remember a few years ago at the WFO in Moscow ID. Another rider who lives near me in the Bay Area asked if I were riding straight home, or stopping on the way. Of course I told him I saw no reason to stop. He asked if he could ride with me, and of course I said sure. Along the way we stopped and he mentioned that several other riders from the area were stopping for the night in Bend Or. I will never forget riding through Bend at about 2:00pm and thinking: "What are these guys going to do here? Check-in in the middle of the afternoon and hang out in bend for 15 hours before they ride home?" Those people didn't see anything I didn't see on the way home. You say you don't understand me, I can assure you that I cannot understand riding like that.

Here is something for you to think about. If you get up early, and get on the road before 6, then put on 100-200 miles before breakfast, then put on another 300-400 before dinner, then ride till the sun comes down, you can put on close to 1,000 miles a day without riding in the dark, and getting 8 hours of sleep a night. You don't miss anything, but you see a lot more in a much shorter amount of time. That is what we do.

I'm not saying what we do is better. It is just different. Calling us crazy isn't accurate. It reminds me of a bit that George Carlin used to do talking about driving. He said: "Have your ever noticed that anyone who drives slower than you do is an asshole, and anyone who drives faster is a maniac?" It is the same thing here. Anyone who doesn't understand riding big miles, and thinks because they don't think they could do is safely, assumes that no one else can either.

The bottom line is that no one will ever understand the Iron Butt Rally until they have done it. And when you do, you find yourself part of such a special part of the motorcycling community that you can never imagine your life without having done it.

Very well expressed. I can understand this. Doesn't mean I'll try one, but now atleast I understand the thought behind it.

I used to think it was just about thumping your chest and say lookie at my IBA license plate.

Like others have said, just because I am not in the IBA mode, doesn't mean I don't get a vicarious thrill rooting for the participants in the IBR. Go FJR guys go!

I am a huge fan of motorcycles and riding it burns in my blood so much so that if i cant ride i feel as though somthing is missing from my life. I quoted this because it is wonderfull in its writting and sentiment and as much as i am positive that these things are burned deeply into your thoughts and dreams. but have you ever wondered what you may have passed up along your way. Maybe you missed the love of your life because she got to that same has station two seconds after you had left. but if you had just stayed 1 more minute to enjoy the taste of your iced tea instead of sipping it from your hydration system at ...........mph along hwy watever you may have? ? ? im not saying rally life isnt fun! pushing yourself to excell is an all american institution, an ideal a reason people around the world love ,hate, and admire, the usa. and Not quoted here you said somthing along the lines of having to try it well i may just have to do just that.

hopless class here i come might just have to find the crustiest piece of junk i can find and beat it till she dropps. maybe i will pack up my bike and ride off to washington and meet my buddie for the ride home. hmmmmm ....... just a thought!
I think a person could drive themselves completely crazy if they based their decisions on what they may miss by doing one thing over another. I could just as well point out what you miss by only riding 500 miles a day vs. 1000. Or who you could of met if you got to the gas station 2 hours earlier, or got to a gas station you would never have gotten too. But hey, how many people do you know that met the love of their life in a gas station anyway?

I have however met many, many wonderful people through LD riding. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Sign me up for the CBA, I don't get the point of riding 1000 slab miles in a day, just to get a patch and say you did.
I've done it three times now. The first time was to see every mission in CA in one day, which was a great and challenging way to experience LD riding. The next two were to and from the first NAFO, which just so happened to be taking place 1100 miles from my house, so why not? On the way back, I spent some time hanging with some CBA riders, to the point where I finished my SS1K with only a 45-minute power nap and 20 minutes to spare. Both directions were rather enjoyable in their own unique way.

I have yet to send in the paperwork and money to get "certified" and doubt if I will, unless something inside me decides otherwise. I ride the way I want to ride to satisfy my own desires. If I have to be somewhere far away, I usually like to spend as little time as possible getting there, though I sometimes take a less-direct route when on the bike. I bought the thing so I could afford to travel again, and it's real good at putting miles behind you. As an LD platform, it's almost cheating, IMHO....