RaceTech bound

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
Reaction score
100_6110.jpg

What's missing?

100_6111.jpg

So that's what down swept headers are for...

I took my forks off last night and I'm taking them to RaceTech (FJRForum Group Buy) this morning for some work, Gold Valve, etc, and rebuild. I'll let you know how it goes….

Special thanks to Jeff Asche and Dan for getting all the up front work for our FJRForum Group Buy. ;)

[SIZE=18pt]Updated See Post #11[/SIZE]

***EDIT***

Ok, here's post#11.

So far all I can say is....

[SIZE=36pt]AWESOME!!! [/SIZE]

My forks are back and installed! I already had a Wilbers rear shock so I didn't go there. Now with the suspension all complete front and rear, it feels real good! :yahoo:

It's like having a new bike. I've only test ridden the bike in my hood and on the freeway to work. So far, I'm loving it!

The bike feels much more solid. Example, taking the bike off the center stand the thing would float and bobble as it worked the suspension. Now it just goes thump onto it's wheels. At first I thought, "uh oh, no give. This could be rough." Also just sitting on it, there was almost no sag.

To my surprise the suspension works awesome! It has that smooth ride without wallowing like a 70's Caddy, and absorbs bumps big and small like a champ. Brake dive is also greatly reduced. Very impressed. Now I have to get out on the twisties to really see the diff. :D

BTW - I also left off my fork brace to see how it is without it. I may just leave it off now.

I would highly recommend a full suspension if you have spare change. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW - I ran into Dan (ynotride) at Race Tech this morning. His rear spring was too hard (sounds like a personal problem to me), and they quickly swapped out for a softer spring. Dan gets the royal treatment there since he's Mr. R&D guy numero uno for FJR's. ;)

Good seeing you Dan! :yahoo:

My forks are finally done and will be back to me next week. The 5-7 day quote was a bit optimistic as it turned into 10 days at the shop.... My new custom shock is shipping out from them too so next weekend I will have a fully transformed bike. At least I better for the money I spent :)

According to the tech my fork bushings were totally shot at 20k. Guess its a yearly maintenance item now.... *sigh*

How much is it costing to have forks completely redone? Anyone have an idea? I'd really like to do this... & a new shock too but a shock ain't happening right now.

My forks are finally done and will be back to me next week. The 5-7 day quote was a bit optimistic as it turned into 10 days at the shop.... My new custom shock is shipping out from them too so next weekend I will have a fully transformed bike. At least I better for the money I spent :)
According to the tech my fork bushings were totally shot at 20k. Guess its a yearly maintenance item now.... *sigh*
Bummer it took so long.
That might mean my fork bushings could be missing at 52K. :dribble: We'll see what they say.

What's missing?
That's one way to reduce the unsprung weight. How are you at wheelies? When do you get them back?
It will be really hard to start and stop. :dribble:
I hope to get them back by next Friday so I can reassemble the bike. I'm getting some new PR2's also next Saturday (5/15), big sale at Cycle Gear, 10% off, plus I have some gift cards to blow. BTW - I got a little over 10K on these PR2's and they are still in descent shape, but I'm going on a long ride soon etc, I thought it'd be good to do it now.

How much is it costing to have forks completely redone? Anyone have an idea? I'd really like to do this... & a new shock too but a shock ain't happening right now.
The web site has the prices etc for each thing you want. It's mix/match and 25% off parts and labor per the Group Buy. Rear shock I believe is disconted 10%. Check the Race Tech Group Buy post to be sure.

You need to get your new tires before you come back this way. Your bikes hanging free anyway so you can bring both wheels and the new tires and we can swap them out the same day you get your forks. :D

You need to get your new tires before you come back this way. Your bikes hanging free anyway so you can bring both wheels and the new tires and we can swap them out the same day you get your forks. :D
Consider it done! Thanks Dan!!! :yahoo:

What's missing?? How aboot the whole front end weasel dik?

How about a WC Rider?

Bluesyonshitter.jpg

I tell ya, you really know how to handle the porcelain scooter! I'm impressed

Then again, Lego enthralls me :dribble:

:jester:

Augh shucks Barry, you just miss me huh? Don't get all emotional, I know you still love me. If ya want, I can autogrpah that pic. ;)

Sweet dreams pumkin. :wub:

P.S. Pay backs are a bitch OM.....

So far all I can say is....

[SIZE=36pt]AWESOME!!! [/SIZE]

My forks are back and installed! I already had a Wilbers rear shock so I didn't go there. Now with the suspension all complete front and rear, it feels real good! :yahoo:

It's like having a new bike. I've only test ridden the bike in my hood and on the freeway to work. So far, I'm loving it!

The bike feels much more solid. Example, taking the bike off the center stand the thing would float and bobble as it worked the suspension. Now it just goes thump onto it's wheels. At first I thought, "uh oh, no give. This could be rough." Also just sitting on it, there was almost no sag.

To my surprise the suspension works awesome! It has that smooth ride without wallowing like a 70's Caddy, and absorbs bumps big and small like a champ. Brake dive is also greatly reduced. Very impressed. Now I have to get out on the twisties to really see the diff. :D

BTW - I also left off my fork brace to see how it is without it. I may just leave it off now.

I would highly recommend a full suspension if you have spare change. B)

I'm trying to save up the fundage to get the front springs and valves and do it myself. All ready have a Penske on the rear. Kind of a shame not to do the front. I'll never understand why every Japanese bike I've owned has had so much high speed compression damping. They must like the 'jackhammer sensation'. Enjoy the ride!

Maybe you will be able to keep up now Simon!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

R

It's great to see how satisfied you are the with RT rebuild of the front forks! I just finished doing the job myself but am unable to ride and get a feel for it as I'm now waiting for the G3-S rear shock to arrive in about 1.5 weeks or so. I had planned on only re-springing the rear shock in order to save some sort-term money, but found that once I removed the stock spring/boot/cover from the OEM shock, it had blown a seal and was no longer consistently dampening at all... As a result, my FJR is still sitting up on the stand with the re-built front end, but still no rear shock... Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll have the shock, can get it all back together and enjoy the ride myself! Seeing your post and happiness about it all just makes me even more impatient in the interim! I can't wait!

I, too was very impressed with Race Tech. About 8 or 9 years ago, I did a track day on my 98 Honda SuperHawk (I know, not much of a track bike), and it had the stock fork internals. Coming into the bumpy entrance to turn 5 at RoadAmerica, the fork was bottomed, and made the turn entrance interesting, to say the least. Stock springs were too soft, and the ports in the valves were too small, making for massive brake dive, yet terrible small bump absorption.

Fast forward one year, same track, and Race Tech springs and gold rebound and compression valves, and it was like I was on a different bike. Minimal brake dive, wonderful, compliant damping, and worth every penny I spent. By far, the best mod I've ever done to a bike. I'll be doing it on the FJR when I have around 20k miles on it. Got about 11k on her now.

I'm envious.....you will love it in the twisties.

I finally got my bike back together with the Racetech shock and Gold Valved forks and I must say it is a huuuuge improvement.

The first thing I noticed was that I couldn't touch the ground as well as before. Had a bit too much sag with the stock shock :)

Then I took it out on a 1,000 break in cruise and noticed that I had chicken strips again. I run out of nerves before the bike runs out of handling now.... :D

It needs a bit of tweaking but overall its great!

JT

I, too was very impressed with Race Tech. About 8 or 9 years ago, I did a track day on my 98 Honda SuperHawk (I know, not much of a track bike), and it had the stock fork internals. Coming into the bumpy entrance to turn 5 at RoadAmerica, the fork was bottomed, and made the turn entrance interesting, to say the least. Stock springs were too soft, and the ports in the valves were too small, making for massive brake dive, yet terrible small bump absorption.
Fast forward one year, same track, and Race Tech springs and gold rebound and compression valves, and it was like I was on a different bike. Minimal brake dive, wonderful, compliant damping, and worth every penny I spent. By far, the best mod I've ever done to a bike. I'll be doing it on the FJR when I have around 20k miles on it. Got about 11k on her now.

I'm envious.....you will love it in the twisties.
Interesting to read your remarks re the Superhawk/Firestorm. Didn't think any other FJR rider had one besides me. I did the Race Tech change over early on when the front end bottomed out and almost kick me off the bike mid corner with guard rails on both sides of the road. I plan on doing the FJR front end this winter. If the $$ issue is good, I will also add the Ohlins shock.

P.S. You are wrong SwollenRaccoon, the VTR is a great track bike in the right hands. It just doesn't have enough legs on the straights. I can keep up with all but the 1000 inline fours.