Nelson Rigg CL 100 for $47 plus shipping

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruppelt

Will always be FJR rider at heart
Reaction score
I had some issues with the combination of my Cee Baileys flip screen and my Bestem box mounted at the same time and no pillion rider (which is pretty much my standard situation). The bike's back side would start to dance at higher speeds. As per another post (the one with a picture of Fred's beautiful blow-up companion) I followed the suggestion of filling up the in-between space on the pillion seat. I found a close-out deal for a Nelson Rigg CL100 bag at www.newenough.com for $47; incl shipping it came to $61.53. This is definitely one of the better purchases I've made lately - it's a great bag, lot's of extra storage space, stays in shape even when empty and seems great quality. Best off all, the back end feels very much planted now at speed, no more dancing fancy jiggs on the highway for this little hopper... B)

Here are a couple of pictures showing what the bag looks like on the bike with the box. Please note that I took the pictures after I put the stock shield back on. Yes, it looks like we might finally have some summer up here after all.... :lol:

Photo0062.jpg

Photo0063.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got the CL-85 today. Its very similar to the 100. How did you mount yours? I have mine the other way with the handle in the back but I can see why you did that. Your bike looks good btw.

Nice move! Looks much better than my blow-up doll, but I guess you knew that.

And if you want to get really fancy shmancy you can remove your passenger seat and install the CL 100 like this:

click me quick!!
I like it....on my way out to the garage now....stay tuned!

Nelson-RigCL-85008.jpg

Nelson-RigCL-85001.jpg

I have to say it fits like a glove...I think I'll do something like you did in terms of mounting it. Whatever I do I want to make sure its lickity split taking the whole thing off and the seat back on. Great idea and I like the way it looks.

Nice move! Looks much better than my blow-up doll, but I guess you knew that.

And if you want to get really fancy shmancy you can remove your passenger seat and install the CL 100 like this:

click me quick!!
Fred, so when you take the bag off what does it look like when your looking down where the seat was? Did you put a plate there as well. I'm thinking about mounting a plate in the "hole", then mounting the bag to that. My thought is to run a couple of bolts through the plate into the bag. That way when I remove the bag (wing nuts), the plate remains on the bike??? Do you think thats overkill? Thanks

'stook,

That website isn't my handiwork. I have a 1st gen, which has a smaller passenger seat and the CL-100 won't 't fit in like that.

As I recall, the guy who posted up that How-To mounts the soft bag bolts the bag in place, so apparently he just leaves it on the bike and removes the contents at night. Maybe using a liner bag(s) of some sort?

Other folks have dabbled at using a stripped seat pan to make the bag "quick disconnect-able". That would be pretty cool, if not a bit pricey. But I don't know what that does to your bike security when the rear seat section is removed... :unsure:

I just got the CL-85 today. Its very similar to the 100. How did you mount yours? I have mine the other way with the handle in the back but I can see why you did that. Your bike looks good btw.
So I mounted the two front straps to the connection pieces that come down to hold the exhaust cans, that didn't take long to figure out.

The two straps in back though were much trickier to figure out, since there does not seem to be anything in the area at all for the hooks. I finally figured to use the pieces that hold my top box mounting plate. Since that's straight back rather than side ways, it tries to pull the bag sides inward and I had to put a piece of plywood in to counter that and keep the bag shape intact. It does sit rock solid though this way and it's not shifting at all. Next time I want to see if I can extend the internal strap or use the integrated side pieces to hold it to the seat and see if I can get it to snug up and secure automatically when you push the seat down into the lock.

I do like the other way to mount the bag as well, but I have to say that I did not get the same kind of back wheel dancing with the top box and the oem wind screen on and that because of that I will likely only use the bag for bigger trips together with the top box. For commuting the side bags are usually plenty for me, as long as I don't have to pack multiple jackets and such for changing weather.

Latest posts