synthetic oil in new bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palerider

Reaction score
Hi,

When I brought the AE to the dealer for the 600-mile service I asked the mechanic about replacing the oil with synthetic. He said that using synthetic before 10,000 miles would void the bike's warranty. Is this true?

Hi,
When I brought the AE to the dealer for the 600-mile service I asked the mechanic about replacing the oil with synthetic. He said that using synthetic before 10,000 miles would void the bike's warranty. Is this true?
Bull shit.

Ask him to find that one in writing somewhere.

As long as the synthetic motorcycle oil is certified (which they all are) it's OK.

Many, many threads discussed about oil on here......never ending in fact. I highly suggest searching that one. Comments by the user Jestal are probably the most comprehensive.

>>He said that using synthetic before 10,000 miles would void the bike's warranty. Is this true?<<

Not only the above, but read the label on the oil the manual recommends... says it's made from synthetic stocks.

In a 20/40 w ? That's all my manual calls for & I've only seen it from Yamaha...Help me out here as it's expensive...
The only other 20w40 I've found is made by Spectro and I wouldn't be surprised if Spectro makes it for Yamaha. I believe it's a synthetic blend.

I plan on useing a full synthetic 10w40 after the break-in period.

Hi,

horsecrap.gif

Wonder if 10/40w will void the extended warranty since the manual specifically calls for 20/40. In Europe the manual calls for 10/40...

Robert - using 10W-40 will not void the warranty. Many, many, many of us around here don't use the Yamalube 20W-40, preferring our own personal brand and viscosity.

I am of the opinion that Yamaha recommends 20W-40 just because they are pretty much the only one that markets it.

Use whatever floats your boat. Put synthetic oil in whenever you want if you wish.

Personally, I as well as several others use 15W-40 conventional oils of the diesel variety made my Rotella, Delvac, or Delo. Good stuff.

There are tons of oil threads on this forum with all kinds of info. I would highly recommend that you or anyone else wanting to learn more about oil search for threads in which forum member Jestal has provided input. The dude knows his shit about oil after being a GM powertrain development engineer for many, many moons.

In a 20/40 w ? That's all my manual calls for & I've only seen it from Yamaha...Help me out here as it's expensive...
The only other 20w40 I've found is made by Spectro and I wouldn't be surprised if Spectro makes it for Yamaha. I believe it's a synthetic blend.

I plan on useing a full synthetic 10w40 after the break-in period.
I called Redline about suggested oil and their engineer said to use 10/40 . I have a case of 20/50 and he said I could use that also. He felt that 10/40 would be better, especially in the winter.

SkooterG

I think it is the ash content that keeps me away from diesel oils, not sure though but it has something in it that leaves deposits in engines even though a bunch swear by it. As an ex motor builder with well over a 100 motorcycle builds I know personally that 10/40 won't hurt the bike but not 100% sure of Yamahas position on it.

The shop manual says API service SE, SF, or SG type oils or higher, no mention of approval of C type oils. I have YES warranty & want no excuse to be denied....

SkooterGI think it is the ash content that keeps me away from diesel oils, not sure though but it has something in it that leaves deposits in engines even though a bunch swear by it. As an ex motor builder with well over a 100 motorcycle builds I know personally that 10/40 won't hurt the bike but not 100% sure of Yamahas position on it.

The shop manual says API service SE, SF, or SG type oils or higher, no mention of approval of C type oils. I have YES warranty & want no excuse to be denied....
There is no ash in diesel motor oils. They just have additional additives to handle the large amounts of ash that a diesel engine produces. The oil in my VW diesel will be black in just a few miles. That is the oil holding the ash in suspension, as it is supposed to do.

As for the API service code - in the links I posted above Jestal points out that the diesel oils that are mentioned are all now currently API service SM, IIRC. In other words, API as has rated them perfectfully acceptable in gasoline engines. Read some of those links completely. There is much to learn there.

And the fact remains, Yamaha can't deny warranty claims for not using their specific brand and weight of oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again.............

Thanks Jestal!

Good thing I have you around. I mistook "ash" for "soot". A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I must've been thinking ash level maybe. Wish I could remember the sites that covered it. Sounds like ancient history...

I built Harley/Moto Guzzi, & Kawa engines (Harley up to 100 cu) in "back then", a different time for sure. I called Yamaha & they would not give me any slack to go to 10/40, even when 20/40 not available ! Fools for sure....I will be switching soon as 10/ 40 cannot cause a problem when warmed up....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The owners manual only specifies 20w40 "For temperatures of 40 degrees F and above".

If you're riding in sub 40 weather, by the manual you SHOULD ACTUALLY SWITCH to 10w40. It's what my service manual shows in the chart, being good down to 14 degrees.

[SIZE=12pt]I REPEAT, THE SERVICE MANUAL CLEARLY OKS 10w40 OIL.[/SIZE]

and always listen to Jestal.