Where to get forks rebuilt in Mpls/St.Paul area?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rammer9460

Reaction score
After 26k miles, the forks on my '06 need to be serviced. One side leaks oil bad. I have them off, but I'm not sure where to take them to be repaired. Any suggestions??

Thanks, Erik.

Yamaha dealer ? You may get more response in the tech- mech issues subforum.

If you're considering an upgrade to other than stock then a Google search for motorcycle suspension tuners in your area would probably turn up some options. Your Yamaha dealer may also have some suggestions.

Many people pack up their forks and ship them cross-country so your not limited by local conditions. Use Google to search the FJRforum for suspension topics to get you started in that direction. Good luck !

South of the Cities?

Send a message to Gramps. He had his done recently and can tell you who did the work.

edit: an even better idea would be to host a tech. meeting. You aren't the only one who will need to service their forks this winter. Fire up the grill, chill some suds and we can all work on 'em together.

Last edited by a moderator:
South of the Cities?

Send a message to Gramps. He had his done recently and can tell you who did the work.

edit: an even better idea would be to host a tech. meeting. You aren't the only one who will need to service their forks this winter. Fire up the grill, chill some suds and we can all work on 'em together.
IN

Great idea :good:

I can fire up the torpedo heater in my garage (it does a good job).

I could stand to upgrade the valves on my front forks as well as change the fluid.

So all we need now is someone that's done the upgrade before...paging Scooby.

I'll call him. Anyone have a date in mind?

Erik if you prefer a shop then I would recommend MotorSports Plus in South St. Paul

and talk to Jeff Fischer (owner) at 651-455-5657. He does great work at reasonable prices.

Sounds like Erik is out.

I'm still in and that makes four. I'm in no rush. January works for me. I would host another Defiance of Winter Get Together, but forks don't belong on the the kitchen table.

Get it? forks on the kitchen table...

I crack myself up.

I could be in, but I've never torn into a set of forks before. Would there anyone there who has done a rebuild before?? I'm all for saving a little $$ by doing work myself.

I'm clueless as to parts needed though.

Erik.

I could be in, but I've never torn into a set of forks before. Would there anyone there who has done a rebuild before?? I'm all for saving a little $$ by doing work myself.

I'm clueless as to parts needed though.

Erik.
Yes, that's why someone earlier kinda called out for Scoobyvroom he did a very nice write up when he rebuilt his forks clicky. We could get him to supervise and then when we f'd up our forks we can blame him :lol:

Unless someone has a better facility, we can do it at my garage & January works for me.

Scooby, like I mentioned I do not have air tools but I do have a compressor. I think maybe I could borrow some, I'll have to check.

I was thinking I might be able to do it at my place if you guys are willing to trek out into the boonies. If we do gold valves we may need to make a stop at my work which from my house is ~15 minutes away. I have a large insulated garage. It's not heated but I could always start the car. :dribble:

Saturday, January 22nd. <Link>

I put that date out there just so we would have one. I'd like to have everyone here again, but my place is not ideal for this. If anyone else would like to host this, put a date out there and I'll cancel mine.

I need to get out of the house January 21st. The place will be full of my wife's friends. If anyone wants to host this forks rebuild tech meet then, count me in!