I am finally happy with the FJR setup

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ULEWZ

Reaction score
I have not been happy with the throttle snatch, the pegs dragging, and the hard seat. So I fixed most of it and am now happy.

First the throttle snatch. The Barbarian mod set 7 up greatly reduced the snatch along with removing the throttle play and unwinding the center throttle spring one turn.

For the hard seat, all I have done is get a beadrider. So far so good and easy to hang off with.

Now the major fix, the suspension:

First the vitals, I weigh 180 and am 6 foot tall.

I went down to two lines showing on the forks and set the compression and rebound both to 8. Then I added 15CCs of fluid to the forks which helped with the dive when braking or entering a turn fast.

The rear shock, set rebound to 8 and left the spring on HARD.

This worked wonders and I never dragged again, but I was still not comfortable in the turns always wondering when I would touch down. So I bought the 5/8 inch shorter dogbones to give me more clearance and so far so GREAT>

Please do not listen to anybody saying that the Gen II is different and this is not a good idea. I am hear to tell you that they have not tried this mod or they would be changing their tune.

The good:

The turn-in is very good now, not too quick, but no longer heavy.

The sidestand now is at a good lean angle, not straight up like before.

The straight line stability is just fine up to 105, which is all I have been able to test it too so far.

The bike rides like a sportbike now and the rear end is now somehow stiffer.

So what are the potential problems:

The bike rides like a sportbike now (if you like it plush, this mod is not for you).

If you have ever been called midge, half pint, or weeble, you might not like this mod as it raises the seat height a bit. Not real high, but enough if you are not flat footing when stock.

The dogbones are a 15 minute change done like this:

The hardest part was putting the bike on the center stand and I am getting pretty good at it now, now that I angle my body to the right. So why was it so easy for me, I will tell you.

1. Put bike on center stand.

2. Loosen dogbone attach bolts and nuts (4 places, top and bottom each side)(a wrench will be required to hold the bolt head end to keep it from spinning).

3. Using a floor jack, gently raise the jack until just contacting the lower rear of the right swing arm section, and then continue to raise the swing arm section until the doglink bolts will rotate freely.

4. Remove the lower bolts, nuts, and washers.

5. As the top dogbone bolts will interfere with the center stand, you need to remove the lower shock mount bolt, nut, and washer.

6. Rotate the lower shock mount until you can access the upper dogbone fasteners, and remove the bolts, nuts, and washers.

7. Install the new upper dogbones using the retained bolts, washers, and nuts.

8. Install the lower shock mount using retained bolt, washer, and nut.

9. Raise or lower the floor jack until the lower dogbone bolts can be easily inserted.

10.Secure the lower dogbones using bolts, washers, and nuts.

11.Lower the floor jack and you are done.

Any questions, shoot away.

Very interesting development with my bike. I set the preload to 2 lines showing many months ago, and now the right fork leg is at 4-1/2 lines showing (the left is still at two lines showing). I have not touched the preload adjuster in months. Is it possible to move on it's own, or did someone mess with my forks when I was not looking? <_<

The bike rides like a sportbike now and the rear end is now somehow stiffer.
The shorter link is effectively a shorter lever which has less mechanical leverage on the shock. While it didn't actually make your shock's spring stiffer {or the damping for that matter}, it did effectively do just that. People often notice the opposite when they install lowering links, especially those that lower the bike an appreciable amount.

BTW,,,, I see that you are happy with the 5/8ths dogbones. Have you tried the 1.25 inch versions? I ask because the the 5/8ths version on't raises the rear around 16mm so the height gained at the footpegs would be closer to near half that or around 8mms,,,,,,, not a whole lot. I've already raised the triples as far as I can go and if I remember right, that was close to 20mm so if I add the 5/8ths dogbones, I will see the full amount of lift if not more but I can scrap now with crappy hard ass Shinkos. If I run decent rubber, the scrapping is terrible, to the point where I hit the center stand if memory serves.

Latest posts