Help! Shifting problem after FJR drop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyWilde1

Reaction score
Newbie here. I've only had a couple of trips on my FJR, then one day I got it home and attempted to put it on the center stand. I didn't think about the slick sealer on my garage floor. I slipped and the bike came down on me. I haven't read about anyone dropping an FJR where the rear tire was off the ground, but that made it impossible to lift. I tried using a floor jack to lift it, and that's why I'm here. I got the bike up by hoisting each end from my rafters (I know, not the best idea). I tried to ride it the next day and it shifted from 1st to 2nd and was ok until I tried 3rd. No go, so I limped home. After inspection I saw the top section of the shift rod was bent (see photo). I ordered a new one ($37!) and installed it today (see photos). Now, the trans is stuck in 3rd. Occasionally it will click into 4th, but will not shift down past 3rd. Please tell me it's not the drum cam! The shaft is not loose. I marked the clamp position on the spline so I could remove it. It was not damaged. I will take any and all advice.20230909_171835.jpg20230909_171814.jpg20230909_171800.jpg

With the bike on the centerstand, remove the shift linkage from the shift arm. With a helper to turn the rear wheel, pull clutch with one hand and try to make the shift. (Need some forward pressure on the wheel to snick into gear reliably. This may tell you if a bent, or badly adjusted shift linkage is the problem. Take the opportunity to grease the pivots while you're at it.
Possible that a return spring is broken so lever doesn't ratchet back to middle for the next shift.

Good luck.

(Don't need to mark the spline. A punch mark that is on the end of the shaft lines up with the split in the arm)