First weeklong FJR trip w/wifey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, this is our first extended trip...with the summer heat and much expected rain. Wish us luck. :D

I have been told not to plan too much riding for each day...so CBA rules apply. Kind of hard to do when you're bypassing mucho good roads to conform to that darned CBA reg. :)

Here is the spotwalla link: we leave on Saturday am...and our kids are watching the house! :lol:

spotwalla baby!

Here is a brief idea what our plans are for each day...

Day 1: Wtn to French Lick, IN

Day1-WtntoFrenchLick-339miles.jpg

Day 2: French Lick to Somerset, KY

Day2-FrenchLicktoSomersetKY-221miles.jpg

Day 3- hiking at Cumberland Falls SP...or maybe this as well

Day3-SomersetLoop-120miles.jpg

Day 4: Somerset, KY to Breaks Interstate Park

Day4-SomersettoBreaks-258Miles.jpg

Day 5: Hiking at Breaks and/or this (if I'm lucky)

Day5alt-BreaksLoop-236Miles.jpg

Day 6: Breaks SP to Marietta, OH (This one hurts..cuz of the dag nabbed CBA)

Day6-BreakstoMarietta-226Miles.jpg

Day 7: Marietta to Caldwell, OH (Mini Ramble)

Day7-MariettatoCaldwell-211Miles.jpg

Day 8: Caldwell to Millersburg (Amish territory)

Day8-CaldwelltoMillersburg-156Miles.jpg

Day 9: Blast home on the flatlands...ho hum

Day9-MillersburgtoWtn-390Miles.jpg

Well, we will see how it all fares with the heat, humidity, and thunderstorms...not my ideal time to ride, but when wifey is the teacher, then summertime it is.

Thanks to griff for allowing us to borrow his top box...if this all goes well, I'll be buying a nice huge GIVI like he has.

Louanne will be trying her hand at photos, we'll be using SENA intercoms, and I have routes loaded into an old 2720.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 5: Hiking at Breaks and/or this (if I'm lucky)

Day5alt-BreaksLoop-236Miles.jpg
This looks like one of the the best mountain twistie routes you got planned being that you have the back of the Dragon hwy 16 on it plus a bunch of other good mountain rds. Just as a suggestion when your on 58 (great road) in southern VA you'll ride right by the entrance to Grayson Highlands state park. Ride up to the top and go to the visitor center. Right out the back door of the visitor center is an easy 1/4 mile walk to this vantage point. Well worth it! If you want you can continue hiking farther up to the next point as well. They also have another hiking trail that have wild horses roaming the mountain.

Hope you both have a terrific trip. Be safe & have lots of fun! :yahoo:

120Pano-VAGraysonHighlands.jpg

That's going to be an awesome trip! However, I didn't see any planned milkshake stops.

Got your car tire all mounted up and ready to go?

:D

Fooking Car Tire, blood-drinking, cult member! :assassin: Geez, put down the Koolaid jar why doncha. :)

New PR2s mounted last Saturday.

Top Box loaded.

Massive FJR tankbag being loaded.

Left (mine) and right (hers) to be loaded Friday night.

Estimated time of departure no later than 0700. (sleeping in.)

Just as a suggestion when your on 58 (great road) in southern VA you'll ride right by the entrance to Grayson Highlands state park. Ride up to the top and go to the visitor center. Right out the back door of the visitor center is an easy 1/4 mile walk to this vantage point. Well worth it! If you want you can continue hiking farther up to the next point as well. They also have another hiking trail that have wild horses roaming the mountain.
Thanks for the great tip. I sure appreciate it. It hurts me to route the trip the way that I did, but if I can do that loop it should be the best day of riding. We will most likely be hiking in Breaks though on that day. :)

Looks great, Mark! You guys have a great time.

We'll all wait here for the pictures when you get back! ;)
I hope Louanne gets the hang of taking photos on the fly. I'll try to take some photos at the stops as we dodge the thunderstorms.

That's going to be an awesome trip! However, I didn't see any planned milkshake stops.
They're in there...just counting on stopping at the little places as we see 'em.

BTW, I DID NOT read your report to Louanne...NO SIR! :D

Have a great trip, and be safe!

I hope Louanne's gets the hang of taking photos on the fly. I'll try to take some photos at the stops as we dodge the thunderstorms.
FWIW, Sooze uses a Canon Digital Elph on a lanyard around her neck. It focuses relatively quickly (a must when you're rolling by something you wanna take a picture of) and she can operate it with her riding gloves on. We tried a waterproof / shockproof Olympus during our trip to SFO '09. Haven't used it since - the Kodak she had at the time took better quality pictures (and the Canon she has now takes even better pictures), and the Olympus took way too long to focus.

I carry a small tri-pod in my tank bag. That, combined with the timer and swivel screen on my camera, allows some flexibility when taking pictures with both of us in 'em.

My wife and I just went through some of those places last week. Hwy 7 down the Ohio river in Southeast OH isn't spectacular, but the road itself is in good shape. A few nice river vistas, but nothing too "whoopee" about it. When you're passing through Zanesville, if you need a break, the National Road/Zane Grey Museum is just a few miles to the east on Hwy 22. It was almost triple digits when we passed through, so the air conditioned museum was a welcome break. They do a nice job describing the National Road and there's a decent exhibit on Zane Grey and Ohio ceramics/pottery (They had me until the pottery, but the wife loved that part!). Maybe an hour or so to go through it (unless you get stuck on the pottery...).

Sounds like an excellent trip, even with the CBA restictions! :p Ride safe and have a blast!!

My wife and I just went through some of those places last week. Hwy 7 down the Ohio river in Southeast OH isn't spectacular, but the road itself is in good shape. A few nice river vistas, but nothing too "whoopee" about it. When you're passing through Zanesville, if you need a break, the National Road/Zane Grey Museum is just a few miles to the east on Hwy 22. It was almost triple digits when we passed through, so the air conditioned museum was a welcome break. They do a nice job describing the National Road and there's a decent exhibit on Zane Grey and Ohio ceramics/pottery (They had me until the pottery, but the wife loved that part!). Maybe an hour or so to go through it (unless you get stuck on the pottery...).

Sounds like an excellent trip, even with the CBA restictions! :p Ride safe and have a blast!!
7 along the river ain't spectacular...it kinda sucks (only to be used as a connector). But you did pass some spetacular roads...the likes of 556,536,255,800 & 260, while you were slogging down Rt 7 along the river. Good thing Mark knows where the good roads are. Hey Mark have a great trip!

Thanks for all the tips guys.

...as for you Bugnatr... :D ...hey, I didn't trash your house did I? Nor did I introduce your children to Bust and the farm animals? What did I do to warrant that??

I'll have Louanne peruse this thread so she can keep score of the good guys...and the others. ;)

Or pie stops.

Enjoy, my friend, and may the good weather gods be on your side!

After 0Face's RR, I'm just counting myself ahead if I don't wake up with ticks all over my body.

Definitely some pie stops, especially in Amish country.

Awesome! You're a lucky man. Remember, I'm the guy who had to trailer down to the Smokies for a long weekend cause the SO packs too much crap! Have fun.

Years ago, back when I was a young Pirate, my wife and I were lucky enough to take a month long trip around the country. We were packing to leave when I caught her trying to jam two huge bottles of shampoo and conditioner in the top box with the camping gear (of course no room left in her assigned side case). I said "why are you trying to bring those?", she said "we're going to be gone a month."

Moral of the story; Keep an eye on what'd she's packing. Room for beer is more important than shampoo. :D

You're going to have an awesome time!!

Thanks for all the tips guys.

...as for you Bugnatr... :D ...hey, I didn't trash your house did I? Nor did I introduce your children to Bust and the farm animals? What did I do to warrant that??

I'll have Louanne peruse this thread so she can keep score of the good guys...and the others. ;)
Nothing but love Wheatie. With me, Bust and Don in charge what could happen? :whistle: