First weeklong FJR trip w/wifey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's going to be an awesome trip! However, I didn't see any planned milkshake stops.
Or pie stops.

Enjoy, my friend, and may the good weather gods be on your side!
Milkshakes, Pies, you're riding through Terre Haute just a few miles from the Moonshine store and no bestest burger in the whole world?

C'mom Wheatie get this woman a balanced meal before she falls off the back of the bike.

Protein think protein.

I hope Louanne gets the hang of taking photos on the fly. I'll try to take some photos at the stops as we dodge the thunderstorms.

We use a Cannon Rebel Xti Digital SLR, I set it on sport mode. The wife just has to point and shoot, if she lingers on the button it will shoot 3 pictures per second. Works great. The hardest part for her was getting the feel of when the button is pushed with her gloves on.

Looks like a great route. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a great trip, and be safe!

I hope Louanne's gets the hang of taking photos on the fly. I'll try to take some photos at the stops as we dodge the thunderstorms.
FWIW, Sooze uses a Canon Digital Elph on a lanyard around her neck. It focuses relatively quickly (a must when you're rolling by something you wanna take a picture of) and she can operate it with her riding gloves on.
I was gonna suggest the lanyard as well... makes it much less stressful to not worry about having to let go of the camera quickly and have it tumble off the bike... and easy to grab hold of to take a pic... she can always tuck it into her jacket if it starts to rain... which I hope it won't do too much for you guys! B)

Thanks all for the camera tips. I will have a lanyard (fully adorned with Maple leaves) from a previous CFR.

Our camera is the simple "point and shoot" auto I've been using in all my previous reports. I'll have to check to see whether it has a high shutter speed setting?? for shooting while in motion.

Louanne's excited. She really has no idea what she is in for, even though we took a quickie weekend ride in 35 degree low temps to Missouri in April. (On the bike!) ;)

The Heat. The Humidity. Riding towards forboding weather. The mood swings of this kind of travel.

Based on some good reccos from this board, we have Oly Air-Glide mesh 2-piece suits. We'll see how it goes. :clapping:

As long as I'm not attacked by killer ticks like 0Face I'm good.

Just remember to be flexible with your plans and defer to her needs... this one isn't your ride... it's your and HER's ride... different kind of animal so enjoy it for what it will be... there are lots of gents who wish their wives/SOs would ride with them... you're lucky you got one who will! ;)

Just remember to be flexible with your plans and defer to her needs... this one isn't your ride... it's your and HER's ride... different kind of animal so enjoy it for what it will be... there are lots of gents who wish their wives/SOs would ride with them... you're lucky you got one who will! ;)
Hear this. ^^^

No need to prove your superior masculinity to her on the roads every day, when you can do it at night in the comfy (air conditioned) king size suite. :p

Just so long as you don't get any of those o'face ticks. :huh:

Yep, the route planning already addressed some of that. This will be a different ride...hopefully we'll both enjoy it for what it is.

Different than a solo shot across country or the curves.

Have an awesome week Mark. Maybe the weather won't be all that bad, one can always hope , eh?

I learned a few yrs ago that an adventure is best enjoyed when you can share it with the one you're closest with, and because of that she'll just naturally enjoy it nearly (maybe more) as much as you. At least that was my case.

Have a safe one you two.

Have a great ride. I hope you both have a wonderful time. We've been getting lots of occasional rain down here in Kentucky and it looks to stay the same for your trip. It's been brief storms and nothing too brutal. Stuff that is ok to ride through, I hope. Shouldn't be too hot.

Have a great ride. I hope you both have a wonderful time. We've been getting lots of occasional rain down here in Kentucky and it looks to stay the same for your trip. It's been brief storms and nothing too brutal. Stuff that is ok to ride through, I hope. Shouldn't be too hot.
Thanks for the report.

In Somerset,KY w/wifey. Great trip so far...have not pulled out the rain gear yet. E.T. stalked us and rode with us today. That was a pleasant surprise. Unexpectedly riding with friends on new roads is great. The roads have rocked. A pool is great after a hot day's ride. Louanne is having fun on these roads too. We are finding that the FJR travels very very well 2-up.

EDIT-Tablet keyboards suck.

In Somerset,KY w/wifey. Great trip so far...have not pulled out the rain gear yet. E.T. stalked us and rode with us today. That was a pleasant surprise. Unexpectedly riding with friends on new roads is great. The roads have rocked. A pool is great after ahot day's ride. Looanne is having fun on these roads too. We are finding that FJR travels very very well 2-up.
Good to hear both of you are having fun. :yahoo:

In Somerset,KY w/wifey. Great trip so far...have not pulled out the rain gear yet. E.T. stalked us and rode with us today. That was a pleasant surprise. Unexpectedly riding with friends on new roads is great. The roads have rocked. A pool is great after ahot day's ride. Looanne is having fun on these roads too. We are finding that FJR travels very very well 2-up.

good to hear. hopefully many more 2 up trips are in your future!

7492.5 miles in 14 days 2-up. I don't guess Looanne is quite ready for that yet, but the FJR is definitely built for it. An Airhawk for the pillion doesn't hurt either! Glad to hear that you both are having fun. Definitely special.

Glad you are having fun! Sounds like a great RR coming soon! :D
clapping.gif

Wishing you continued fun!!
punk.gif