Slider Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indian Scout

Reaction score
I will be picking my new 07 up next week and have no idea who makes the best sliders. Can anyone help.

I don't want to wait to long to install a set but have no knowledge of what to order.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Hi there scout, welcome to the forum. There are alot of threads about "best" but follow this LINK for SKYWAYS sliders...excellent as far as I'm concerned.

I will be picking my new 07 up next week and have no idea who makes the best sliders. Can anyone help.
I don't want to wait to long to install a set but have no knowledge of what to order.

Thanks guys, I guess I will order Skyway Sliders.

Welcome ! Yes there have been quite a few threads about sliders... Some folks want the nylon/plastic because it's sacrificial ( & _maybe_ shock absorbing ), other folks like the nice polished metal look. ME ? I got the Mokos.

I'm also picking up an 07 this week. FWIW, I purchased a set of Skyway's spiffy sliders and they will go on the bike before I do. :stop: Hopefully they will never see duty.

Until Thursday I can only provide a pic of the sliders off the bike:

SkywaySLIDERS.jpg

AGirl

Hi All,

We distribute R&G Racing in ANZ. They make a set for the 06+ FJR1300 that needs no drilling or cutting at RRP $166.90 inc Australian GST, ($A150.25 member) plus $13.20 Courier/9.90 Post. Export orders worldwide at members price $A136.55 (Approx $US100) Postage $20.00 anywhere.

The beauty of R&G is they are full race spec including sleeves within the plastic and de-brittled bolts that are significantly less prone to snapping compared to the hi-tensile cheapies most suppliers use.

We are able to supply 1/2 sets for those unfortunate enought to test them out in the real world.

When ordering off our web site www.amcmotorcycles.com note membership in the notes to us box at checkout.

CP0184a.jpg

Cheers

R

AMC Again,

For those who want coloured items we also have the Metisse units per the pic.

The mounting hardware if sor another bike, but you get the idea of the colours.

These are $A183 member price. Personally I don't rate them as good as R&G, however for those who prefer bling..

Cheers

CP%20Colours.jpg

R&G... the best. There are a lot that offer more bling. There's been a ton of talk about this, too. Having them dump tested, I wouldn't hesitate to use the R&G ever.

I put the R&G sliders on my '05 and have been very happy. On the '05 they required cutting a hole in the fairing on each side and many people avoided them, but the R&Gs put the puck right where I thought it should be for maximum protection. On the '07 you have easy access to the front engine mount bolts so you should not have to cut your plastic.

At the time, Skyway was experimenting with aluminum pucks and they were very nice looking but I wanted Delrin pucks because they are sacrificial and absorb some of the shock from impact. Today Skyway makes sliders with Delrin pucks and that would be my choice if I were shopping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have the R&G and have tested each side in my garage - both at 0mph. Both sides worked just fine!

Left side resulted in zippo damage to front end plastic, etc. Only damage was slight scuff to bottom of left saddlebag.

Right side - busted my mirror at the joint (press on whatever it is popped off - fixed with nut/bolt). Had to buy a new "bobbin" for the slider. The force of the fall drove the spacer into the bobbin. The difference on this drop was that I didn't have the saddlebags on - when it went over it actually pivoted on the slider and went all the way over (hence hitting the mirror).

You do have to cut the plastic to install the R&Gs. Not a big deal unless you're a total nincompoop!

My opinion is that the best slider is the one you put on your bike! Don't spend too much time deciding, just pick one and stick it on.

I just bought an 07 FJR for my wife and used the Motovation sliders. Looks good and very functional, and I believe they were $89 too.

I have the as yet untested R&G sliders. I had no problem drilling the 2004 fairing but would never use them again.

My problem is that it seems as if I'm forever removing the fairing for maintenance, farkles or additional wiring. The engine bolt threads gave out early on & I had to install Helicoils. I'm not a fan of Helicoils, either, after having trouble with them.

If you need to replace the threads, get the insert type instead.

Better yet, avoid the problem altogether & mount the type of slider that has it's own mounting bracket, avoiding use of the engine bolts.

I know there are many out there that aren't ham handed like I am, but that's my advice.

dobias :glare:

The beauty of R&G is they are full race spec including sleeves within the plastic and de-brittled bolts that are significantly less prone to snapping compared to the hi-tensile cheapies most suppliers use.
+1

got my R&Gs back when they were the only game in town. good farkle.

armor01.jpg

the engine armor is a good idea, too.

Last edited by a moderator: