Where to Put Straps on Bagster Tank?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcal rider

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just received the Bagster Tank Cover for my 2003. What a beautiful piece of work. I have what may be a silly question for those of you who have a Bagster cover. On the two side straps, have you put the strap under the side cover, or on the outside of the side cover? I initially installed the strap under the side cover, but I'm thinking over time the hole in the strap could split from repeated removal of the screw, whereas if the strap is on the outside of the side cover the strap would retain the screw when removed. I know I know, picking a nit. Obviously the side cover doesn't get removed that often, so maybe not a problem.
Thanks in advance for reading and for any replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one but it's been a long time ago. I remember the stem-kneck strap going around and fastening as well as the back strap. I think I rolled all loose ends up and taped them like when doing Alice packs and load bearing gear in the army; tucking the "rolls" into spaces nearby.

Maybe I don't take my side covers off as much as you? I don't remember it being a deal enough to actually remember.

IIRC, the OEM instructions recommended cutting off the excess, welding shut the ends with a flame, and leave only a nub of excess once you get the mounting dialed in.

On the two side straps, have you put the strap under the side cover, or on the outside of the side cover? I initially installed the strap under the side cover, but I'm thinking over time the hole in the strap could split from repeated removal of the screw, whereas if the strap is on the outside of the side cover the strap would retain the screw when removed.
I'm like Bounce, my memory just isn't that good regarding the Bagster I had on my '03. I just don't recall any screws to remove or holes in straps. How about a photo or two? I have one on my 2008 as well and maybe I can compare the two. There's a strap under the tank at the back by the seat that goes just in front of the long bolt that the tank can hinge on, the one that goes around the front frame which surrounds the front fork spindle and the two that pull forward and down towards the frame using plastic clips that slip under the tank edges. I did the cut and weld with my straps except for the one by the seat which just tucks under.

I'm like Bounce, my memory just isn't that good regarding the Bagster I had on my '03. I just don't recall any screws to remove or holes in straps. How about a photo or two? I have one on my 2008 as well and maybe I can compare the two. There's a strap under the tank at the back by the seat that goes just in front of the long bolt that the tank can hinge on, the one that goes around the front frame which surrounds the front fork spindle and the two that pull forward and down towards the frame using plastic clips that slip under the tank edges. I did the cut and weld with my straps except for the one by the seat which just tucks under.
Of course. Photos or it didn't happen. Attached are a few showing the strap around the headstock, straps around the tank hold down plate, and the strap design at the side cover. Hope they go through.DSCN0920.JPGDSCN0921.JPGDSCN0922.JPGDSCN0923.JPGDSCN0926.JPG

OK, that looks familiar. They changed the cover on the gen II version so that strap that goes under the screw is no longer used. It's replacement is a bit farther forward, angles away from the vertical and hooks under the tank. I never had any issue with the screw pulling through on my '03. If you're finding that could be an issue, try reducing the tension on that strap and see if there's any issue with the cover staying in place.

Agreed. I had a Gen1 and this is the first I knew of the Gen2. I never had any issues. All the excess in your photos was cut-and-welded with flame to prevent fraying of the ends but only after I was sure it was what I wanted. Nothing left to "flap". The rolling and tape was when testing for final length.