Lane Splitting Bill in Washington State:

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
Mark it on your calendar. Ignacio posted something political. It's directly related to motorcycles so don't worry that the planet fell off its axis.

I was looking at my favorite local blogger this morning reporting from Olympia, Washington's Capitol, and see that Mullick posted a nice tongue-in-cheek critique of the bill. Good timing as I'm headed over to Olympia for 3 days starting this evening. One of the sponsors includes one of my local legislators, Delvin, a cop who doesn't ride, but gets bikes.

Washingtonians interested in getting this bill a hearing, the next step in the legislative process, should contact their legislators.

I'll be sure to throw my minute amount of political weight around ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with that! Sharing, the term you should always use when referring to the practice, done safely, is good!

Show 'em JB's "Bad to the Bone" video at the hearing! :lol:

But seriously, make sure to get the word out locally and statewide, and consider getting in touch with the AMA and any other organization that you think may be helpful. Check here.

Good luck! I wish I could help in some way to get it passed.
You by chance have a great fly-fishing river or one of the world's 10 tallest peaks around you? If so, one of the bill sponsors, Jerome Delvin, is a sucker for high altitude hiking, fishing, cigars, and good booze.

....of course, I personally call him Sentator Nipple....but that's a story for another day ;)

What have I always heard, that there's no law against it in Cali?

Does Washington state have a law specifically against lane splitting?

Either way, I hope it becomes legal up your way. And in every lower 48 state, eventually.

Good luck! With lane "sharing" in Cali and Washington, Oregon would get squeezed and hopefully do the same.
Take it from someone whose office is across the street from the lawmakers and even closer to the Oregon State Police. It will be 20 years before we have legal lane sharing in Oregon. Raising the speed limit from 65 to 70 doesn't have any traction, this would have less. If I'm wrong, dinner at 7-Feathers is on me the next time I'm down there.

Show 'em JB's "Bad to the Bone" video at the hearing! :lol:
Doh! As I waded into this thread, I cringed because I just KNEW that was coming! :eek:

Good luck up there in Washington. As you know, I personally don't like to lane-split, much. :D

But of further interest on this topic of proposed state laws that will benefit motorcyclists, did you know that in Utah there's a bill on the floor that would allow motorcyclists [quoting from the bill]:

"...in their most prudent judgment when traffic is flowing in one direction along multiple through-lanes at no less than three (3) times the posted speed limit, when said prudent motorcyclists encounter high-performance vehicles (preferably painted yellow or red) designed and manufactured in countries beginning with the letter 'I' famous for pizza, leaning towers, artists, and hand gesturing, to 'choke the chicken' and demonstrate amazing feats of motorcycle daring-do in the form of triple-digit contests of speed, cojones, skills, and luck, so long as said prudent motorcyclists in no way risk anyone's cojones but their own."
Show 'em this here post at the hearing! :p

But I ask this question in all earnestness, Sr. Ignacio de la Moto Rapida Azul de Pinche Puto: If you believe my vids in any way could jeapordize the bill, just say the word and I'll lay low for awhile and make'm "private."

Jb

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck! With lane "sharing" in Cali and Washington, Oregon would get squeezed and hopefully do the same.
Take it from someone whose office is across the street from the lawmakers and even closer to the Oregon State Police. It will be 20 years before we have legal lane sharing in Oregon. Raising the speed limit from 65 to 70 doesn't have any traction, this would have less. If I'm wrong, dinner at 7-Feathers is on me the next time I'm down there.
The status quo is easy. It's the folks that overcome inertia of non-movement that are to be applauded for trying.

I'll ask Delvin when I see him tomorrow ;)

Dang! I forgot to ask Delvin. And it wasn't because I just forgot.....it's that there are record 4500 bills so far this year! What they might be lacking in quality they're making up for in quantity.

On that point alone, I doubt this thing even will even get a hearing.

I did learn a bunch of other fun anecdotes that are not at all motorcycle related ;)

Latest posts