Internal Tire Balancing beads.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metric

Reaction score
I mentioned that I was using these when I posted about my new No Mar tire machine. I said I would put a thread together about it, and here it is.....

A while back I came across these. There are different companies selling them and they all use different material. There is a company selling a red material that looks like small polished fish tank rocks, one that is using Teflon coated shoot, another one using ceramic beads and some sort of dust. I ended up zeroing in on the 1mm ceramic beads Innovative Balancing uses. They sell them as Dyno Beads. Originally, I was an instant skeptic thinking that they are definitely snake oil!

I started doing searches for the different beads online. I came across two 4X4 Truck forums (guys running hugely oversized tires on trucks that were all jacked up and modified), one forum was for the GM guys and one was Ford owners. The guys on the Ford forum were kinda split. Some of them liked the beads and some didn’t. There was one good reason for the guys that didn’t like them, they were running a tire that had large rubber patches in them straight from the factory. The patches are installed to help balance the tire. The big mud tires they run are hard to balance because of there size. They also tend not to be made with the same precision that most smaller tires can be/are made with. And don’t come close to being as quality as a motorcycle tire by a long shot. Basically though, the beads would cause the patches to come loose. Once they were loose they then had these large chunks of rubber floating around free in the tires cause havoc. The guys on the GM forum however where going nuts about them claiming that they are the best thing since sliced bread. None of them were running tires with the patches in them. Currently I have orders for pounds of these beads pending for several of these guys!

I also started reading about Dynamic balancing and Static balancing. Dynamic balancing is used because larger tires can actually be heaver on the inside then the outside (or the other way around). This is why you have weights on the inside and outside of your wheels on your car in various places. Motorcycle tires don’t benefit from this. And this is why all your wheel weights are in the center of your wheel. Motorcycle tires don’t benefit from it because they tend to be very high quality in comparison to most tires on the road. The guys on the truck forums mentioned that for some tires (typically specific brands or models) they could need close to a pound of weights on the outside of the wheel to get the tire to balance correctly while they didn’t need anything on the inside! NOTE: For anyone that is thinking they want beads for their big truck tires, it is possible that you may still need a weight or two on the wheel in addition to the beads to get a truly perfect balance! This is because of the potential for large differences in weight of the tire from inside to outside. The beads just don’t seem to be able to fix that when it is really bad.

I also read one review in a magazine about them (can't remember which magazine). They went into there ‘test’ also thinking that there was nothing more to it then good advertising. They also admitted that they did nothing more then just put them in the tire and ride. They didn't actually do any testing. Yes there is something to be said for how something feels, but your feelings can be skewed by disbelief. I also really didn't expect them to work but thought I would give them a try since they so thoroughly had my attention.

I've been running them in my FJR for a few weeks now. I did a little test of my own the night I put them in. With the bike on the center stand, I set up a micrometer to measure movement in the swing arm. I set the micrometer to read from the furthest point back on the arm and from the bottom side. First I measure the movement with the tire balanced with typical weights. I measured 15 units (thousands) of bounce at 55 mph once the speed was steady. Then I pulled the weight off the wheel all together and measured it again, I measured 30 units of bounce at 55 mph. Then I took the weights and stuck them back on the wheel 180 degrees from their original position to really throw things out of wack. I measured 48 units of bounce at 55 mph.

After all that I put the beads in the tire. With the weights still on the wheel in the wrong position, and we ran the speed up to 55 mph again. This time I measured 12 units of bounce from the swingarm! No matter where I put the weights or if they were even on the wheel, I got the same reading.

The last test will be on my back tire, not sure when I’ll get it done though. I'm taking the wheel and tire in to have them balanced on a normal spin balance machine (without the beads inside). But instead of actually putting the weights on the wheel when it is done, I'm putting the beads in the tire. Then we'll run it through again and see what the machine says. I highly doubt that it says that the wheels needs no weight, but I will be impressed as long as it comes up with something significantly less then the original weight. I have a couple of thousand miles left on the back tire right now, but since its starting to get nice, it shouldn’t take me to long to use up what’s left.

If you are doing your searches for this stuff to try and figure out what you believe, you may quickly notice each company selling them tries to explain how this actually works. None of the explanations really sounds the same as the last. I have tried to find anyone that could explain why this works, and have yet to get an answer. The most qualified person I know is a mechanical engineer and he couldn’t explain it. I’ve done a limited search for different laws of phys., but in the end its all a completely different language to me. I can’t even tell if what I’m reading would actually pertain to what I want to know half the time. I’ve decided that I’m not going to be able to offer a scientific reason for why it works. Its basically turned into one of those things that just is. I am going to offer them to people that I’m installing tires for. If they want to try them, I am going to give them a ‘Warranty’ for the balance. If for some reason they don’t like them, I’ll take them out and do a regular balance on the tires. This way I can get feedback from people also, if they don’t work, I’ll know about it.

Currently I have 55 lbs of the little buggers coming (that is the smallest quantity they can be ordered in directly from the manufacture, I’m not buying them from Innovative Balancing, they want to much for them!) and as of just this week I have 4 people waiting to get tires installed until I have them. I also have about 10 lbs of them sold to the different truck guys. One of them plans to put beads in every tire he has from his truck to his RV to his trailers!

There are two things about these that are appealing. First, for motorcycle guys that do their own tire changes, no more time spent balancing your tires. Second, because the tire gets a fresh balance each time you start moving, you are supposed to get more tire life. Tires change as they wear and actually become unbalanced over time. Most people don’t take the time to have their tires balanced through the life of the tire and end up shortening the life of the tire. The beads are supposed to be the answer for that. I haven’t ridden long enough to know myself, but these are being used in the Semi Truck industry in an attempt to prolong tire life. My buddy is the manager of a convenience store in south Kansas. Directly across the street from his store is a Semi Truck garage. The mechanics come over to buy lunch and snakes during the day. I had told him about these and he asked a couple of the guys about it. They said that they are in about 60% of the truck tires they pull off now. He said “they claim they are working”. I’ll have to use them for awhile before I can comment on that claim personally, but it does make sense.

<snip>.... This is why you have weights on the inside and outside of your wheels on your car in various places. Motorcycle tires don’t benefit from this. And this is why all your wheel weights are in the center of your wheel.
BMW motorcycles have had, on some models in years past, weights clipped to the edge of the rim. And, my friend's '07 Suzuki V-Stom 650 also has left and right rim weights.

With the bike on the center stand, I set up a micrometer to measure movement in the swing arm. I set the micrometer to read from the furthest point back on the arm and from the bottom side..... I measured ...(thousands) of bounce at 55 mph .... but I will be impressed as long as it comes up with something significantly less then the original weight.
Great 'impirical' testing.....Good on ya'

They said that they are in about 60% of the truck tires they pull off now. He said “they claim they are working”.
Liquid tire balance has been used by OTR fleets for decades.

One thing: there are often balls of rubber inside tubeless tires that probably started life as grains of sand (or something) that just get bigger as they roll around inside the tire and the rubber gets hot from the highway. IOW, the same sort of thing may happen -- naturally....?

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing: there are often balls of rubber inside tubeless tires that probably started life as grains of sand (or something) that just get bigger as they roll around inside the tire and the rubber gets hot from the highway. IOW, the same sort of thing may happen -- naturally....?

I wondered about that also. The answer I received when I asked Innovative Balancing was that its not an issue. I was specifically told that a tube will not show any rubber debris and that a tubeless tire will show small grains of rubber. The reason is that the tubes are very smooth, and obvioulsly the tubeless tire is somewhat textured. I'll know first hand in a few weeks. I have heard that the steal shot I mentioned can wad up pretty bad and cause some issues similar to what you are talking about.

As for the liquid balancing, PJ1 sells it. I haven't found one person that likes dealing with it come tire change time though. Its just as bad as a tire with fix a flat in it or worse depending on who is telling the story.

Metric - Wow!

I had no clue that balancing was so involved... and of all the differnt quality of tires available.

Very good read - thanks for taking the time to do all this research and compile the data.

Some of the 4 X 4 crowd I know swear by throwing four or five golf balls into their big mudders for balance.

YMMV

Some of the 4 X 4 crowd I know swear by throwing four or five golf balls into their big mudders for balance.
YMMV
Yeah, I've heard of that also. However it is usually followed by comments about integrity problems with the tire in the short term. The golf balls themselves way to much. If they get to bouncing they can build up momentum and start tearing the tire up from the inside out. I've only heard of golf balls being used for semi truck tires though and everything I found was relatively old.

I've got this topic going on a another forum. I just got an interesting post from a mechanical engineer that made a little since.

"I would think this would be highly dependent on road speed. The beads are acting as a mass damper because they effectively act like as a highly inelastic opposing mass. As the tire imbalance force oscillates the beads are thrown one way or the other in response. As an inelastic mass (and because of plain physics), they cannot react instantly and tend to absorb some of the existing imbalance force in the tire/wheel. Theoretically IMO you could use beads to perfectly balance a tire but only for a given set of conditions. Change the tire/wheel imbalance and/or the rotation speed and you'd need a different quantity of beads. If this thread of logic were true, a tire balanced at 55 mph could cause a massively worse imbalance at a higher speed. "

I haven't noticed wheel hop or vibration to indicate a tire out of balance with speed up to 120 mph. So the idea that it may not work as the speed changes is still a question. I seems that varying the speed doesn't affect it. I'm waiting to hear back.

I wonder how this would affect/mess with a system like SmarTire...

I started using balance bags (essentially bean bags) inside our trucks (tractor-trailer) fleet tires a couple of years ago. I'm getting less cupping wear on tires now.

In our trucks we have to use a special valve stem that won't clog when / if the bag does burst inside the tire. So yes, it may cause a problem with your valve stems or an air pressure management tool.

I wouldn't use the liquid, because of the obvious mess when change time comes.

Anyone have a link to products for motorcycle tires? I wouldn't mind giving them a try.

I would consider them to be reusable, but you may not want to go through the hassel. They are approximately 1 mm beads....very small and easily lost. There are a lot of companies selling them, and judging by the prices, they pretty much think its gold. It cost me almost $20 with their inflated shipping costs to get enough for my FJR from Innovative Balancing. I started digging around and found out where to by the beads directly from the manufacturer. I found the same place IB gets them from. If you want them to play with, let me know....I'll have 55 lbs of them any day now! I'm going to sell them for $1.50 an oz or $20 a pound. I'm not offering any of the little bottles or special pieces of tube though, you'll have to come up with that on your own. I'm not sure how I am going to go about packaging the stuff yet either.

Inlaw1, let me know if you'd like to get a few.

I wonder how this would affect/mess with a system like SmarTire...
+1 and how do you know how much to use and then get them into the tire?

You either put them in when the tire is installed or you can put them in through the valve stem. The valve stem installation is kind of a pain. Thats how I did them originally.

As for the different tire inflation systems or monitors, I don't think I've ever run across anyone that has used the two together.

I had them in the FJR for thousands of miles. I have had many miles on Avon rubber with and without the beads. I use the ceramic version and couldn't be happier. They keep the tire balance throughout its entire life. The only issuses you might find is if you have the 90 degree valve stems installed. The neck of the stem will not allow the 1mm beads to get by. You have to put them in before pressurizing the tire on the rim.

1.5 oz in the front, 2-3 in the rear. Also, 1 bag will cover a total of 3 set of tire changing. $10 a bag.

I had them in the FJR for thousands of miles. I have had many miles on Avon rubber with and without the beads. I use the ceramic version and couldn't be happier. They keep the tire balance throughout its entire life. The only issuses you might find is if you have the 90 degree valve stems installed. The neck of the stem will not allow the 1mm beads to get by. You have to put them in before pressurizing the tire on the rim.
1.5 oz in the front, 2-3 in the rear. Also, 1 bag will cover a total of 3 set of tire changing. $10 a bag.
Currently I have 55 lbs of the little buggers coming (that is the smallest quantity they can be ordered in directly from the manufacture, I’m not buying them from Innovative Balancing, they want to much for them!) and as of just this week I have 4 people waiting to get tires installed until I have them. I also have about 10 lbs of them sold to the different truck guys. One of them plans to put beads in every tire he has from his truck to his RV to his trailers!
So sign me up for some. I'll be the guinea pig for the SmarTire relationship. How fast can you get them out?

1.5 oz in the front, 2-3 in the rear.
Is this just a generic recommendation? Or is there anyway to actually determine how much you need? If you got too much inside, couldn't that throw off the balance? On the large truck tires, your never going to get them to balance perfectly anyway. I could see the smaller motorcycle tire being effected easier. How do they get put through the valve stem? As one poster has stated, it sounds like a pain.

Toecutter,

I'll let you know when I have them. I expected them Friday and they didn't show, so hopefully Monday. But all sales are on pause until I figure something out. I may have found a hiccup.....or it may be that its not a good idea to combine Bridgestone and Avon tires!

Inlaw1, I was the one that said its a pain to put them in through the valve stem. I've done it and I recommend that if you want to start using them, do it when you put new tires on. Yes they were generic recommendations. I'm not aware of a procedure to determain a specific amount. As for having to much, I can't say that I know how to answer that. I'm not the originator to this idea, I'm learning more about it as I go.

I guess this Comment is a little late.

I have used these beads on several bikes and cars. I after changing several tires have gone back to lead balancing.

The beads stick to the inside of the tire. They do not find the balance point every time as reported. Also by throwing a 1 or 2 oz bag in the tire are you sure that is the weight the tire needs to balance?

That to me is guess work.

Also they are a pain in the ass to clean off the rims.

Never again.

Bob