Sidewall leak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Hurt

Reaction score
I ordered a new rear tire (Bridgestone S22). Took the rear wheel off and took it to the shop from installation. On my front tire, I once had a hard time getting a new tire to seal at the sidewall, so I cleaned the gunk off the rim where the bead makes contact, with a Scotch bright pad. It then sealed. So, during the installation of this new rear tire, I had them give me the rim after old tire was off and I cleaned it similar to previous method. They put on the new tire and it had a sidewall leak....plus they didn't put the yellow dot at stem. Told them to mark the rim and tire and breakdown to inspect. Instead, they re-positioned the dot and tried again, leaked at a different location. Then they tore it down and found no problem with the rim, but tore a small place on the tire next to the bead. I don't know if it's proper to state the nationwide store/shop. But, I'm puzzled by the leak. Can you get the rim too clean? Can an installer somehow cause it to leak... aside from damaging the tire.... it leaked at two different locations.

You have a more complicated situation than me but my last recent tire change of the front had a slight leak also for a couple of days after I installed it. It was all cleaned as well as the other times and only dropped about two or three psi overnight. Finally had a chance to give it a good run and heat soak and that sealed it all up. Mentioned this to a fellow rider who stated he's dealt with the same situation on more than one change. Not saying this will solve your problem, especially if the tire is now damaged, but just an experience to relate. Good luck solving it.

I assume you mean bead leak. Could just be a tire that is out of spec if you are not seeing any damage to the bead of the tire or porosity on the sealing surface of the rim. If it were mine, I would smear some kind of paint/sealer anywhere that you exposed the aluminum.

i've had similar problem on a new tyre🇬🇧.
I put 60psi into it, ran it and pumped the brake hard many times, then reduced it back to running pressure and it sealed itself.