T stem valve problem_Hawkshead

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HONDA convert

Reaction score
Please advise as I recently had local Yamaha shop install new Dunlop RS III tires and Hawkshead brand T valve stems on 2018 FJR. I have been doing some test rides to try new tires, now total of 80km/50 miles. Today, used conventional tire pressure gauge to check levels against the values shown by TPMS. I find both valve stems are loose with audible leaking, greatest in the rear. The T stems are rotatable and seemed well secured prior to today. Now the rear stem will rock 3-4 mm either direction which increases the leakage. Upon installation I asked for some locktite to be applied to the double nut system on the inside of the rim. I now doubt this request was followed. Please comment on personal experiences with the T valve stems: installation, need for locktite, experience with loosening, how to proceed from this point with resolving the problem

Installation error. These haven't been problematic for others.
I did note that they say not suitable for large FOBO sensors. Assume you are not using large sensors. Also assume you have attached the sensor to the end and not the side arm...

Last edited:
Sounds like the shop messed up the install. Now the quandary... take it back to the shop that can't install it properly or take it elsewhere and have to pay again to get it done right.

The chrome plated dual metal T valve stems I use with my FOBO2 TPMS I had to use a thin wall 1/4" drive scocket to tighten the stem nut and sealing rubber washer inside the wheel.